Dashboard metal trim broken pegs?

wcl4

Site Donor
Reaction score
Three consecutive pegs on the metal lower dashboard trim are missing and so it's not seated properly. I tried epoxying some makeshift pegs, some double stick tape and contact cement (only three dabs) - all to no avail. Because I got my dash recovered, everything fits more tightly so the force required to keep the metal trim flush to the dash is greater.

My options are, try a stickier double stick tape (fear that if I have to remove the trim one day, it will get ruined since the tape might be crazy sticky) or try soldering on those makeshift pegs, which may cause discoloration on front side because of heat?

Any one else have a suggestion?

Gransin

Site Donor
Reaction score
Have you tried to find a good/better used one?
I've seen these for sale several times, but I understand it might be difficult if you're in a hurry.
Repairing the pegs with good results will be a real challenge, if even possible.

wcl4

Site Donor
Reaction score
Not necessarily in a a hurry, but no, I have not seen one for sale in the time I've been on the forum, and yes, buying one intact would certainly be a good option.

Markos

Site Donor
Reaction score
Send a PM to @Roger S. He has the spare long piece with all of legs intact. He is in your neck of the woods as well.

Gransin

Site Donor
Reaction score
Try to put out a WTB-thread in the parts section, or hope somebody sees this thread:)
EDIT: Markos is too fast!

wcl4

Site Donor
Reaction score
Any one have an idea what the dashboard trim would be worth or what I could expect to pay?

autowerks

Site Donor
Reaction score
I may have one if Gary does not find his, please post a pic as I think there are early and late version!

Wladek

Reaction score
I may have one if Gary does not find his, please post a pic as I think there are early and late version!
Early version - for non-adjustable steering column consist of two parts (1x short & 1x long; when mounted - there is little gap between them behind steering column), later one with adjustable steering column is just single part (no gap behind steering column).

Gary Knox

E9 Member Emeritus
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Well, I question that Wladek. The 'one' I have is definitely from a '74 with adjustable steering column. It definitely consists of two pieces. Am I correct in understanding that these two pieces are slightly longer in the '74 than in the earlier cars?????

Gary--

Wladek

Reaction score
Am I correct in understanding that these two pieces are slightly longer in the '74 than in the earlier cars?????

Gary--
Nope, later version trim is just single piece.
With longer or shorter i meant - sides of trim (for example left trim in LHD is short / in RHD right side is short).