Dehumidifier Report

CSteve

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Cranked up the new dehumidifier exactly a month ago at the start of a hot, humid July. Garage 2 1/2 car, brick floor, no insullation, high ceiling. Dried out the leather, vinyl, headliner, everything in 36 hours. Drains to a hose, set at 50/55%,.

When the humidity is low, I read it on my phone, I take the advice of someone on the forum and shut off the dehumidifier and open one of the big doors. But keep a close watch on the humidity so it does not get ahead of the garage.

Increase in the electric bill was approximately $1.20 a day or $36. a month. Chime in here guys. Can I expect the cost to go down as we head into autumn, winter and spring?
I live in Bucks County, Southeastern PA?

Anxious to hear about other's experiences.

Steve (previously oneills)

RMP

Site Donor $
Reaction score
Cranked up the new dehumidifier exactly a month ago at the start of a hot, humid July. Garage 2 1/2 car, brick floor, no insullation, high ceiling. Dried out the leather, vinyl, headliner, everything in 36 hours. Drains to a hose, set at 50/55%,.

When the humidity is low, I read it on my phone, I take the advice of someone on the forum and shut off the dehumidifier and open one of the big doors. But keep a close watch on the humidity so it does not get ahead of the garage.

Increase in the electric bill was approximately $1.20 a day or $36. a month. Chime in here guys. Can I expect the cost to go down as we head into autumn, winter and spring?
I live in Bucks County, Southeastern PA?

Anxious to hear about other's experiences.

Steve (previously oneills)
I have used dehumidifiers for years, always on, I just adjust the percentage up/down based on weather and season. The windows are up with about 1 inch down on the front ones, no excess drying inside and the cement floor is really dry. We live by the ocean on Cape Cod, so...... this works great.

Roger

inovermyhead

Reaction score
My car lives outside in a carport with an outdoor cover over it ( Noah fabric ) and I live 500 meters from the ocean here in Sydney, in summer the humidity regularly gets up into the 90% and can be uncomfortably sticky. Any ideas guys?

JFENG

Site Donor
Reaction score
My car lives outside in a carport <snip> Any ideas guys?

Yes, do a full body restoration which exposes treats the 4 primary hidden cavities to modern paint materials. If done right you should be able to drive in the rain often and not have any worries. Or, you could turn the carport into sn enclosed garage.