Design questions for 71-73 coupes

David Levy

Site Donor
Reaction score
Anyone know if there are chassis/design difference's between the 71-71 production runs?
(not including the CSL which used lightweight materials and plastic windows)

Besides the engine differences between the 2800cs and the 3.0's -- are there any differences in the design? Headlights? Stuff like that?

Thanks! Any input is appreciated.

Stevehose

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
73 bumpers are offset from the body vs 71-71 also with upside down rubber bumperettes. 73 had window circuit breakers and i believe the ability to open the window when the door is open or something like that.

HB Chris

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
All 71-73 3.0CS coupes are basically the same, the US 73 got the 2 1/2 mph extended bumpers and inverted rubber on front bumper guards, mid-73 got window circuit breakers (slight wiring changes) and improved window motors, license plate lights moved to tail panel, chrome plate covers holes in rear bumper, early 72 US coupes got roof mounted shoulder belts.

The 2800CS has solid rotors up front and drum brakes in rear. Seats are slightly different but only the back release mechanism really.

autokunst

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Regarding the extended '73 front bumper. Has anyone either replaced the brackets with the earlier ones, or modified their '73 brackets to "tuck" the bumper more like the '71/'72? I like the way the '73 bracket mounts to the bumper sections and bumperettes - robust connection top, middle and bottom. But I would like to move it in closer to the body because I like that appearance better.

This is a two part question. Part 1: has it been done? Part 2: what do the originality gods think of this modification?

Markos

Site Donor
Reaction score
As far as the chassis:

We recently discussed a minor chassis modification to the roof which created a provision for roof-mounted seatbelts
At some point the inner fender got a welded bracket for the diagnostic port
The hood got holes for wiper jets
The introduction of fuel injection came with a welded airbox bracket
welded fuel pump bracket

There are loads of little changes changes that occurred but not much to the body itself.

Last edited:

rsporsche

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
All 71-73 3.0CS coupes are basically the same, Seats are slightly different but only the back release mechanism really.

late 2800cs had the same seats as the 3.0cs ... the early 2800cs had the back release mechanism down at the hinge point.

As far as the chassis:
At some point the inner fender got a welded bracket for the diagnostic port
The hood got holes for wiper jets
my february'71 2800cs has the diagnostic port
i believe all 2800cs had the wiper jets that squirted up through the hood vents ... i think all 3.0cs had them in the hood (i do not know when this actually changed)

Markos

Site Donor
Reaction score
Not chassis related but perhaps we should also talk about:

hazard switch location
instrument cluster font color
license plate trim
gas tank capacity
brake boosters
window switches
embossed vinyl seats
side view mirrors
vent grill material
air filter housings

David Levy

Site Donor
Reaction score
Regarding the extended '73 front bumper. Has anyone either replaced the brackets with the earlier ones, or modified their '73 brackets to "tuck" the bumper more like the '71/'72? I like the way the '73 bracket mounts to the bumper sections and bumperettes - robust connection top, middle and bottom. But I would like to move it in closer to the body because I like that appearance better.

This is a two part question. Part 1: has it been done? Part 2: what do the originality gods think of this modification?

I’m curious too!

David Levy

Site Donor
Reaction score
Not chassis related but perhaps we should also talk about:

hazard switch location
license plate trim
gas tank capacity
brake boosters
window switches
embossed vinyl seats
side view mirrors
vent grill material
air filter housings

I’d love to hear what you might know about these!

Markos

Site Donor
Reaction score
I’d love to hear what you might know about these!

Well if I knew enough I probably would have just started chatting away but I’ll take a stab at what this forum has taught me.

hazard switch location

- Moved from under the dash to the dash face

- 2800CS has off white text

license plate trim

- early 2800CS had chrome plates brass, later aluminum

gas tank capacity

- 2800CS has a smaller tank

brake boosters

- 2800 CS has a skinny brake booster

window switches

- The black center section changed and the pin count

embossed vinyl seats

- Found on 2800 CS

side view mirrors

- First came Talbot fender mounted, then trapezoid, the. flag. The talbot mirrors were before your date range

vent grill material

- Supposedly they were made of metal. Others can confirm

air filter housings

- Different on a 2800CS, has a hole plug

m_thompson

Reaction score
When did the Fasten Seat Belts pod on the dash get installed?
The heater controls are different on Euro and US, and on some years.
'73-'74 US models got EGR and relays on the firewall to control it.

lsquaredb

Reaction score
The 2800CS is, IIRC, 180 lbs lighter than a 3.0CS and 100 lbs heavier than a CSL. The transmissions are different too. The 2800CS a ZF manual or auto, and the 3.0CS has Getrag manual or a BW auto.

Leonard
'70 2800CSA Bristol

teahead

aka "Rob"
Site Donor $
Reaction score
The 2800CS is, IIRC, 180 lbs lighter than a 3.0CS and 100 lbs heavier than a CSL. The transmissions are different too. The 2800CS a ZF manual or auto, and the 3.0CS has Getrag manual or a BW auto.

Leonard
'70 2800CSA Bristol

Always was curious about that. Where'd the extra weight come from? Doubt rear disk brakes would be that much heavier than drums. 2.8->3.0 engine weight diff is nil.

lsquaredb

Reaction score
I think it was thinner gauge sheet metal. I read somewhere on this site that the racing cars used 2800 shells because they were lighter.