Dipper relay need help / ideas Neue Klasse Type 120

Sharkie

Reaction score
Hello

I am currently in the middle of electrical harness restoration on a 1968 2000ca and the issue i'm having is with the dipper relay. The first problem is the car doesn't have one because someone wired it up a different way and caused all kinds of electrical issues in the engine compartment area. So i'm basically starting with nothing and looking to rebuild the system as close to factory as practical and have it function as intended. I have checked all my parts sources for the correct relay but have found nothing. So after peeling back the carnage of wires i'm reminded by that Ed Harris quote from that famous movie "What do we got on the spacecraft that's good"

I'm thinking about wiring it in a similar fashion to a later model but still use relays that appear era correct. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

HB Chris

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
By dipper relay you mean the Hi beam relay? Do you have the factory Blue Book repair manual, it has a wiring diagram which is essential.

Sharkie

Reaction score
Hello HB Chris
Yes i have the factory manual, and also the excellent info at www.bmw2000c.com
James has a wealth of info over there. Such a great site!! The problem is finding a new or NOS dipper relay.

Sharkie

Reaction score
Yes that does seem odd but if you check out my wiring diagram (the same one over at http://www.bmw2000c.com/images/wiringdiagram3.jpg it shows item #9 called dipper relay. It definitely is controlling low and high beams. My goal here is to try and keep the wiring as OEM as possible, so i'm thinking about wiring two relays to accomplish the same task as original. Maybe even finding an old broken dipper relay and gutting it to install two new relays.

Sharkie

Reaction score
Hello Chris
new info, i found out that the car i'm working on is a European model that originally had the smooth flat headlamps, so the wiring diagram is for that model. This car was converted to the US configuration headlamps at some point. So now looking at the US version diagram it all makes sense. thanks for the info on the E9 relay. It made me go back and dig deeper into this mystery. Now that i am wiring it with the single high beam relay i will most likely use an E9 round one.. I'm really grateful for this community of BMW enthusiasts, thanks again for your time.

Sharkie

Reaction score
Hello Folks !!
Happy to report success with my dip relay issues. I found the correct relay!! Zinz on this forum told me about BTS-Autoteille. Its a great place to find some obscure parts and low and behold, they had a brand new dip relay!. Hella branded and it looks like new old stock. A bit dusty, but definately new, It mounts up to the original screw holes in the inner fender. So happy that i can now wire this all back together and have it look original ! Thank you Zinz !

Sharkie

Reaction score
Hello Friends, here is the finished wiring, along with the before pic. Very satisfied with the end result, thanks to Zinz recommendation for BTS-Autoteille. I think i got their last dip relay.

Attachments

• 20200205_165224.jpg
    20200205_165224.jpg
    336.7 KB · Views: 143
  • 20200520_114932.jpg
    20200520_114932.jpg
    288.2 KB · Views: 140

Sharkie

Reaction score
Hey, Thanks for the feedback. HB Chris, can you tell me what the correct pos. batt. cable looks like. maybe post a pic.?

Cheers

HB Chris

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
This is the correct style, e21/12/24, it’s one of those, it will be a bit long though. These have multiple terminals for relays and such.
94B37578-E7E9-4B01-8AAF-C0EA3778D528.jpeg
E2D1394A-717D-414D-9E28-F8381DF6F4B0.jpeg

Sharkie

Reaction score
i think thats correct, but a black cable not red, Yes? I see those on the California imports site. Lots of stuff on these NK (Karmann) cars is same as VW .