DIY - Installing Rocker Covers and Trim Strips

If you buy new rocker covers from Walloth & Nesch plan on spending several hours test fitting and trimming to fit on the car. I had to open up the area that contacts the A and B pillars, bend the ends that wrap into the wheels wells a bit and I also had to open up the openings for the jack point cups on the coupe itself. Start by test fitting the door opening, modify the cover at A and B pillar as needed, mark on tape where the small mounting screws are that are eventually covered by the interior stainless sill strip. Once door opening was correct, I hung the cover by two of the small mounting screws then looked under the car to see how well it fit over the jack points. I had to open these several times. I never was able to get the covers to snap over the body jack points but I get them close. I used cheese head Phillips screws underneath, be sure to check alignment here first before attempting to mount the cover. Since my doors were adjusted I didn’t want to remove the B pillar alu trim piece so I propped it out a bit with a stick.

D0A79E47-F11F-4771-A30C-83CB6621EE23.jpeg
A56D08B7-2F2E-431B-8252-BF11CCC4BA6E.jpeg
71507DBC-BD8F-43C3-B9C5-168C4B6ACC4B.jpeg
C67C4BCE-D28F-41A8-AF17-004F5595CFB4.jpeg
A215FCCA-3825-4ACA-9BFA-AA368B6ABDDD.jpeg
7DFDB401-B74D-4113-ADFC-84DCF885BE53.jpeg

The rocker trim strips were originally mounted with a 4mm stud at each end that slides in the backside of the trim. Also used were 6 plastic clips which have four ‘fingers’ that snap onto the trim. The plastic clips sold today are very hard to snap the trim onto, if you are able to do so they need to be installed before the rocker is attached to the coupe anyway and I suggest using a large 1/2” drive socket on the backside so you do not bend the rocker. There is any easier approach however. One of these is the technique @eriknetherlands used with m6 bolts instead of the plastic pins that push into the clips after he broke off the tangs and threaded the clip. I went a different direction which I think has merit.

I used an m6 yellow zinc washer and flattened two opposite sides with a Dremel 1 1/2” cutting disc allowing it to slide into the slotted trim piece. I then used an m4x12 bolt, slipped the trimmed washer over it then locked it on with Locktite and an m4 nut. It can now be inserted into the slot. Once the trim is placed onto the rocker I used another m4 or m6 washer and another m4 nut to lock it onto the rocker also with another bit of Locktite.

133F0086-7C91-475C-A795-2B69FC0C95C6.jpeg
12D417DB-4D45-4AC8-9A48-5E1FF7FD74FE.jpeg
606FAB7E-6BF1-4A2E-837A-048C22B43A81.jpeg
E31BD15D-4C6B-4CB1-A1D7-2C65D5C6FFFF.jpeg

Last edited:

Bmachine

Site Donor $
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Thank you for writing this up, Chris. I was about to use some of those new WN plastic trim pieces but, just by looking at them, you know it’s going to be a real struggle to put those on correctly.

This approach clearly takes a bit of work but at least once you’ve got the set up in place, final assembly will be a breeze

Candia4441

Site Donor $
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
If you buy new rocker covers from Walloth & Nesch plan on spending several hours test fitting and trimming to fit on the car. I had to open up the area that contacts the A and B pillars, bend the ends that wrap into the wheels wells a bit and I also had to open up the openings for the jack point cups on the coupe itself. Start by test fitting the door opening, modify the cover at A and B pillar as needed, mark on tape where the small mounting screws are that are eventually covered by the interior stainless sill strip. Once door opening was correct, I hung the cover by two of the small mounting screws then looked under the car to see how well it fit over the jack points. I had to open these several times. I never was able to get the covers to snap over the body jack points but I get them close. I used cheese head Phillips screws underneath, be sure to check alignment here first before attempting to mount the cover. Since my doors were adjusted I didn’t want to remove the B pillar alu trim piece so I propped it out a bit with a stick.

View attachment 123578View attachment 123579View attachment 123580View attachment 123581View attachment 123582View attachment 123583

The rocker trim strips were originally mounted with a 4mm stud at each end that slides in the backside of the trim. Also used were 6 plastic clips which have four ‘fingers’ that snap onto the trim. The plastic clips sold today are very hard to snap the trim onto, if you are able to do so they need to be installed before the rocker is attached to the coupe anyway and I suggest using a large 1/2” drive socket on the backside so you do not bend the rocker. There is any easier approach however. One of these is the technique @eriknetherlands used with m6 bolts instead of the plastic pins that push into the clips after he broke off the tangs and threaded the clip. I went a different direction which I think has merit.

I used an m6 yellow zinc washer and flattened two opposite sides with a Dremel 1 1/2” cutting disc allowing it to slide into the slotted trim piece. I then used an m4x12 bolt, slipped the trimmed washer over it then locked it on with Locktite and an m4 nut. It can now be inserted into the slot. Once the trim is placed onto the rocker I used another m4 or m6 washer and another m4 nut to lock it onto the rocker also with another bit of Locktite.

View attachment 123584View attachment 123585View attachment 123586View attachment 123594
Hello, thank you for teaching how to install this I haven't install mine and I was looking for this this is the great way to install it, thanks again

eriknetherlands

Site Donor
Reaction score
Here the link to how I did mine. I took a bit different approach as @HB Chris, but the options are not much different.

I already had the plastic clips, so modifying those clips was the easiest option for me.

I've included one picture of a thing that may happen to you as well; the plastic clips can go in too deep, resulting in an incorrect angle of the screw making it difficult for the screw to catch the thread.

Post in thread 'Fixing that little rust spot...' https://e9coupe.com/forum/threads/fixing-that-little-rust-spot.18521/post-195002

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220722-203410_Samsung Internet.jpg
    Screenshot_20220722-203410_Samsung Internet.jpg
    159.4 KB · Views: 142
  • Screenshot_20220722-203454_Samsung Internet.jpg
    Screenshot_20220722-203454_Samsung Internet.jpg
    137.7 KB · Views: 154
  • Screenshot_20220722-204434_Samsung Internet.jpg
    Screenshot_20220722-204434_Samsung Internet.jpg
    164.5 KB · Views: 135
Last edited:

deQuincey

Quousque tandem...?
Site Donor
Reaction score
Here the link to how I did mine. I took a bit different approach as @HB Chris, but the options are not much different.

As I already had the plastic clips, so modifying was the easiest option for me.

I've included one picture of a thing that may happen to you as well; the plastic clips can go in too deep, resulting in an incorrect angle.

Post in thread 'Fixing that little rust spot...' https://e9coupe.com/forum/threads/fixing-that-little-rust-spot.18521/post-195002

this is long way better, than anything including the original crazy way
i have done it this way, perfect use of available elements
thank you @eriknetherlands

Krzysztof

Site Donor
Reaction score
Good description from All of You guys.

I would add from EU perspective to use stainless screws or mounts or at least zinc plate the washers. In the end the trim strips are the most valuable parts (that makes Erik's solution more "destructive" to the condition of the inner rails of the trims.

By-the-way...

I was told, KastelikClassicCar is making trims with the nuts already in as repros.