DIYers: Need to build a bench mounted motor driven steering wheel sanding jig

Bmachine

Site Donor $
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Background: I want to build a wood rimmed steering wheel. But I want to build it using the stock csi sport wheel frame and with the same wood I have on my dashboard (etimoe).

IMG_4897.jpeg

I want to do it so the wood grain follows the circle of the wheel like a proper Nardi would. I thought about steam bending but there are several issues with that, including how do you join the two ends cleanly in a way that the whole thing will not split open at some point.

So, instead of starting with solid wood, I would like to use bent lamination, ie wrapping a continuous strip of thin veneer of the same etimoe I used on my dashboard around the steel frame to build the outer thickness. Maybe 5mm or so thick.

Once that is done, using the same technique, I will build inner layers. Then at the end I would sand it all down to the proper rim thickness and shape. If this works as planned (and I realize it's a big "if"), it should make a nice match between the steering wheel and the rest of the car woodwork.

The tool setup I need: I have a steering wheel column to which I can secure the wheel (on the left in this photo)

IMG_4896.jpeg

I would like to setup a small electric motor that will spin this column (by grabbing the spindle on the right in this photo) which will then spin the wheel so it can be sanded. Much like you would do in wood turning. I imagine attaching the whole contraption to a base, securing the motor next to the column and using a belt of some sort to grab the spindle on the right. This motor would need to have variable speed for ideal control.

There are plenty of motors available on eBay but they are generally too powerful and fairly expensive ($150+). And then there is the issue of finding a belt that can fit on that motor on one side and that can grab the grooved spindle on the other.

I know several here have built similarly crazy contraptions ... Any thoughts on how to bring this to reality?

Thank you very much

Last edited:
Some good ideas visible there. Looks like a record player turntable might be a good garage sale start (33,45,78 rpm choices)
Motor from roadside washing machine or dryer donor? A PWM controller works wonders for around $10; why not direct drive?
If you don't want to cut up your steering column I'll be happy to donate a splined stub of 2002 shaft you can attach.
Setscrew coupler for a marginal safety aura. Or use a suitably sized electric fan so you have a safety cage to work in - sort of.

Never would have thought they spun-dipped the rims in finish still.

i have seen curved wood done with thin strips laminated together and bent around a form. the final joint is usually done on an angle to help hide the joint.

i have seen curved wood done with thin strips laminated together and bent around a form. the final joint is usually done on an angle to help hide the joint.
My idea is to use one very long strip that is coiled over itself. This way there is no joint to worry about, except for the end of the long strip. Looking at the Nardi video, I wonder if that might be what they are also doing

Take care that you will may experience a wobble if you choose a setup where the wheel spins. A wheel isn't weight balanced like a fan; the bottom half is heaver vs the top part.
As the steering column has a double bearing about a foot apart, mounting the wheel on it, and screwing the cooumn to something sturdy will likely be strong enough, but still you may, depending on the RPM of the wheel, get a wobble or vibration at higher speeds.

I think i see why a setup with a spinning shaped sanding drum or shaped router is often used.

Take care that you will may experience a wobble if you choose a setup where the wheel spins. A wheel isn't weight balanced like a fan; the bottom half is heaver vs the top part.
As the steering column has a double bearing about a foot apart, mounting the wheel on it, and screwing the cooumn to something sturdy will likely be strong enough, but still you may, depending on the RPM of the wheel, get a wobble or vibration at higher speeds.

I think i see why a setup with a spinning shaped sanding drum or shaped router is often used.
Good point! Will need to keep that in mind

Good idea, but don't think those steering bearings are intended for continuous running at any rpm you might want for sanding. Turntable and router for heavy removal sounds like a plan. Now if you had an old motor driven wheel balancer... ;)
Got rid of the e21 or you could borrow it, mount the wheel and drive around at 55mph with sanding gloves on - smooth in no time.

Back