Do I stay with Sahara

Frederick

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Hello:
My name is Frederick Dwyer. I have just this week come in to possession of a 1971 2800 sedan. Sahara. This my second sedan, the first purchased in the late 80's. It was a Bavaria,3.0. Had it for several years then gave it to my sister who took it to Arizona and drove it some more. I remember the ignition switch died and my mechanic put in this cool button to start it. Had a great feel to the push.("we don't need no stinkin key").
My BMW obsession began in 1975 when I purchased a 1968 1600 from a used car dealer on Lime st. in Metairie La.It was red with a white top(roof).I loved that car. Back then, things went wrong and you only really had local help. Gauges, window cranks, overheating, valve adjustment etc. I was an early member of the infant BMWCCA and could not wait for the next Roundel. I have unfortunately lost track of that early CCA number but having first joined in 1975, it must have been pretty low.
I presently travel between Mandeville La. and Park City,Ut. The 2800 is in Ut. This is a project car in Ut. with minimal rust. Needed something as I am calling my 1976 2002 INKA, done. It looks great for a daily driver, has a Metric Mechanic 2300 Rally motor with a MM 5 sd tranny and a 25% LSD. 4 wheel discs and most every mechanical upgrade possible. I have similar aspirations for the E3 but am somewhat concerned for parts, especially the ones that start with Un. As in obtainable.

Looking forward to being an active participant in the forum as well as all assistance and advise available. The E3 forum looks to have some wizened lovers of this great car. It is just sooo not a 2002. I know that model inside and out, but the E3 is mostly new territory.
65056610109--AF1A4556-3940-418C-B68E-6A05F712F83E.jpg
AA288E44-E3DC-4421-A468-5856DF5C932A_1_105_c.jpeg
B6665B16-5601-47B4-ABC4-5F8741A8FF86_1_105_c.jpeg

Stevehose

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Greetings from nola, I used to cruise Lime street back in the day, sadly the car lots are gone. Come see our man garage when you’re across the lake, we have several vintage bmw’s and many other marques.

Frederick

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Yeah back in the 70s lime Street sometimes had some great cars and I would cruise there regularly. One day I saw this little red and white BMW that I had to have. I don't even know why as I've never even heard of BMW. Maybe its in the blood. I'd love to see your cars I will try to get in touch when I'm in town. Thanks for the post.

Dick Steinkamp

Site Donor $
Reaction score
Happy to see another E3 owner joining :) . Welcome. Great companion for your 2002.

I think Sahara is a timeless and understated color. Perfect for an E3. I wouldn't change it.

dave v. in nc

Site Donor $
Reaction score
Welcome Frederick,
When Sahara is in clean and fresh condition, I agree with Dick. But that's probably true for about any color. I'd forgotten how understated (Stasi?) the early cars looked without the upper aluminum trim. Looks to be in great condition, and I know with an Inka car next to it, it may look a little dishwater, but that again is relative; I prefer the term subtle...I wouldn't change it either...(unless you went Nevada, my favorite) Maybe just some update to the wheels. PM me with your mailing address, and I'll send you a copy of the Road & Track review of the early e3's from back in the day...
Dave V.

CSL177

Site Donor $
Reaction score
If this is the car recently advertised in the Northwest, you did well... amazing unmolested condition. I'm with the others: keep it like that.

Give it a thorough detail, address any service needs, and drive it. Completely original cars aren't often seen. :cool:

craterface

Site Donor
Reaction score
Keep the Sahara! Great period color.

My older sister lives in Beau Chene.

Park City is a nice contrast in the summer. They like Crested Butte, CO.

Frederick

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Welcome Frederick,
When Sahara is in clean and fresh condition, I agree with Dick. But that's probably true for about any color. I'd forgotten how understated (Stasi?) the early cars looked without the upper aluminum trim. Looks to be in great condition, and I know with an Inka car next to it, it may look a little dishwater, but that again is relative; I prefer the term subtle...I wouldn't change it either...(unless you went Nevada, my favorite) Maybe just some update to the wheels. PM me with your mailing address, and I'll send you a copy of the Road & Track review of the early e3's from back in the day...
Dave V.
Thanks, it does look a bit sad, overwhelmed, blinded by the INKA. PITA to change colors though. Been repainted, but hard to identify
aside from the lustre. I am not a "just drive it" person. Stuff is not right so it has to be dealt with. window and windscreen rubber is shyte, window felt gone, Dash is a disaster from poor attempt at repair. Headliner is shabby shiek and the seats, the velour has left the premises.
Never seen this material so may have been a euro. Not the textured Nawga. Anyway, i bought it for a project, so it's coming apart. Hopefully , me and "parts supply"can put it back together.
The INKA Resto has also inspired me. The 2002 is so fine, 170 hp, shifts are crisp ,cool exhaust note and handles great. The 2800 ride is so comfy and enjoyable, but it needs some crispness to it.

Christoph

Reaction score
What a great car. Looks fantastic. Moreover, it's a genuine 2800 non-Bavaria with all the trim and the cloth interior. Very rare. The Bavaria was the family sports car, yours is luxurious and sporty, by yesteryear's means.

Sahara is a colour to keep. If everybody goes Inka or Polaris nobody will know how these cars looked when they were new. Anyway, that's just me who prefers stock over anything. On the other hand, big wheels contrast nicely with a, forgive me, Philistine colour. I know somebody with a Sahara 3.0 S with 16" Alpina wheels.

Has anyone noticed Sahara in the shades looks like Nevada in the sun?
DSCN4949-m.jpg

Frederick

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
What a great car. Looks fantastic. Moreover, it's a genuine 2800 non-Bavaria with all the trim and the cloth interior. Very rare. The Bavaria was the family sports car, yours is luxurious and sporty, by yesteryear's means.

Sahara is a colour to keep. If everybody goes Inka or Polaris nobody will know how these cars looked when they were new. Anyway, that's just me who prefers stock over anything. On the other hand, big wheels contrast nicely with a, forgive me, Philistine colour. I know somebody with a Sahara 3.0 S with 16" Alpina wheels.

Has anyone noticed Sahara in the shades looks like Nevada in the sun?
View attachment 125043
You are right Christoph, You say Sahara, I say Nevada.... Sorry, old American song. But it means, whats the difference? Sadly, the Cloth interior is no more, dry rot has taken its toll

Frederick

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Keep the Sahara! Great period color.

My older sister lives in Beau Chene.

Park City is a nice contrast in the summer. They like Crested Butte, CO.
Beau Chen 5 minutes away as we are in Lewisburg. My brother also lives there. Park city is nice anytime so I am endeavoring to make it permanent. The Sahara is growing on me,

Frederick

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
If this is the car recently advertised in the Northwest, you did well... amazing unmolested condition. I'm with the others: keep it like that.

Give it a thorough detail, address any service needs, and drive it. Completely original cars aren't often seen. :cool:

It was on Hemmings for months, then as soon as i contacted the seller, he says emails went crazy. But of course, BAT is driving the frenzy, although the E3's have been real sleepers, [more like rusters] .The E3 is truly an incredible car. So, not sure about the Northwest, but it was
delivered from North Dakota

CSL177

Site Donor $
Reaction score
Hemmings is where I saw it, didn't realize it had been up for so long. I thought it was in Idaho or Oregon for some reason, but no matter, it's the same car.
We sold two E9s recently and thought an E3 would be a nice replacement, so had looked at many options but hoped for a 3.0si. After a couple of stutters with Bavarias,
changed course and got a completely different flavor old BMW.

Anyway, as a platform for performance and cosmetic upgrades this sedan offers a lot to work with. A worthy stablemate to your 2002.

Post some details as you progress, would love to see more.

Last edited:

teahead

aka "Rob"
Site Donor $
Reaction score
Color changes super expensive unless you do paint/body work yourself.

I think it looks great, but if you HAVE to repaint it, I would never be held to the original color of any car unless it's already a color I like.

What Hoffman or the original buyer who ordered the car, why be beholden forever for their choices?