Do you resurface OR replace your rotors when changing pads?

Marc,
I'll try and answer your questions :)
As far as I am aware the older 930 porsche (Turbo included)was "underbraked" ie they really weren't up to the job, thus they tend to overheat and warp, especially if you thrash it!
You can try and keep heat build up to a minimum by modifying your driving style. However that said there are aftermarket kits available which in the great scheme of things will work out cheaper than fixing the OEM ones. (Brembo et al) Check with companies like Demon Tweeks for complete "bolt on" kits.

Agree with you about braided hoses I have used them every time I have replaced lines on my cars - from my 2002Tii through to my Land Rover
I am not sure if I have noticed a difference in "feel" but I feel happier with them as they are less prone to damage and aging than standard ones.
Note there is some arguement as to wether they are OK for the MOT but I have never had a problem with them.

Fluid, Dot 4 is fine for regular driving as long as it's changed every two years, which reminds me.... I am using Dot 5 Silicon based fluid on two of my cars, MGA and BMW 2002Tii The advantage of this is that it does not corrode the system, absorb water, or damage paintwork.
The disadvantage is that it results in a relatively "spongy" pedal and should not be used with ABS. I am working on how to remove this spongy-ness and I am conducting tests at the moment
Rumours of seal damage / hardening so far after 10 and 6 years respectively are unfounded in my cases

Now where's my Anorak :?
Malc

Marc Greenstuff pads are great for "fast road" driving they work great from cold as do Redstuff but Redstuff are a little harder on the discs but they do have a higher coefficient of friction at higher temperatures. I did a 20 minute "stint" arround the short circuit at Silvestone a few years ago in my Vitesse turbo using Redstuff and suffered no brake fade what so ever thats 1460Kg and speeds of upto 115mph for 20 minutes!!

Since this thread started with a question I'll throw my bit in. I have been a mechanic for 23 years and in my opinion there is no need to resurface or chage the discs at every pad change as a matter of course. Sure if they need changing or skimming do it, but just for the sake of it? There is no need. Granted it take a few miles of careful driving for the new pads to "bed in" ( this also applies if new discs have been fitted) but after that there is no difference in performance.

And before someone goes off on a rant about safety let me put it too you this way. My coupe is the most important thing in my life after my wife and kids period period. I wanted one since I was 10 and I had to wait 22 years to own one, would I risk crashing it for the sake of spending a little cash? No way!!

Back