Door Checks....

lip277

Site Donor $
Reaction score
So - I am familiar with the lack of replacement with the door checks on the 2002....... Been there, done that. I am SUPER glad I replaced mine back in the late 80's when I could still get them OE (from the dealer). I have one of the few 2002's that have nice crisp doors..... if I do say so myself... :wink:

Now on to the E9 here....

I need to play 'catch-up' on the story with the E9 so... Any info on OE availability or other sources would be appreciated.

Thanks

Sooner

Site Donor $
Reaction score
Door checks

A little off topic, but those of you with 2002's, the mid 80's Mercedes cars fit perfectly on the 02's, and very inexpensive compared to the BMW prices.

lip277

Site Donor $
Reaction score
Thanks for the info-
(and I have heard the same thing about the Mercedes' working for the 02 - but I never have seen it first hand)

bert35csi

Site Donor
Reaction score
Forget about the original door brakes as the newer design is vastly superior unless you want to change door brakes every other year or sooner. The newer door brakes will outlast the life of your coupe. They are a direct copy of the later door brakes from the 5/6/7 models. The ones from my 88 M6 have lasted 20 years and still working perfectly, it will probably last another 20 years.

69944c33dc478c0d37edcefec5d65b97.jpg

Bert
72 3.5 CSi
88 M6

Honolulu

Reaction score
surprised...

why hasn't anyone mentioned that you can use 320i door brakes with a little grinding?

Have we no institutional memory?

And what do the new brakes cost, compared to the 320i bits? Well if you have a coupe, price no object, eh? I don't like the way this is going.

DougE

Site Donor
Reaction score
Door Checks

This weekend while on a drive with a group of CS's and 2002's I opened the driver’s door and heard that infamous "PING" which can only mean a broken door check. Yep...now the door flops back and forth with no stop detents. I replaced both checks approx 5 years ago and the car really hasn’t been driven that often.

So I ordered a replacement from a local dealer, it was just over $100.00, it came in and low and behold it was the 320-type check. So I ordered a 320 check from another supplier to compare (those only cost me $27.00)

I compared the two and they are basically the same but the arm on the e9 check is straight the 320 check is a bit angled.

Has anyone installed a 320 check and if so does it work, if it does I'll return this e9 check and buy a couple 320 checks and still be $50.00 to the good.

Thanks,
Doug

lip277

Site Donor $
Reaction score
Yes - any info on the 320i or other model door brakes that are said to work? Heck - Even details on the Mercedes' brake would be good.

If anyone has details on these 'non-standard' installations - That would be most appreciated.

Thanks!

sfdon

Site Donor
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Think I paid 5 bucks a piece for ones at the boneyard. 10 seconds on the grinding wheel and they were ready to install.

lip277

Site Donor $
Reaction score
Any details on what the 'grinding' consists of for the E21 solution...??

sfdon

Site Donor
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Look at the pic above and you will see the arm that connects to the door frame. The connecting pin goes there and about 1/8" of the barrel or the opening to the barrel gets ground. Very simple job and very quick to do- don't overgrind.