Door Trim Info

gte619n

Reaction score
Hey guys,

My 3.0 just made it's maiden journey from Atlanta to Chattanooga and back without issue! Had a fun time at SharkFest and met some really great people. Having access to ~perfect examples, I noted that I'm missing some trim around the doors and the windows.

After going on RealOEM, it looks like the trim is mostly NLA and hilariously expensive for what does remain. I was wondering if someone could measure their pieces so I can begin searching for a generic replacement.

The parts I'm looking for are the trim that goes around the front window at the top of the door opening, and the piece that goes down the side of the door.

Parts #8 and #13 in the diagram.

Thanks! E

Attachments

• diag_f1u.jpg
    diag_f1u.jpg
    14.2 KB · Views: 200

CTD

Reaction score
I'm busy replacing mine since the previous owner glued the seals to the car. Maybe you can salvage them. If you send me a pb I can ship them to you. I don't want anything for them, just shipping from Belgium to where you are.

dbower

Reaction score
Evan:

It was great meeting you and your dad. For lots of pics of Sharkfest and your coupe, search "Elliott Grafton" on Facebook.

You may know that there are lots of sources for generic weatherstrip (Pep Boys et al). You may just need to experiment. If you decide to go OEM and can't find it in the US, Walloth & Nesch in England is usually a good source (but expensive with shipping).

Don

jmackro

Reaction score
there are lots of sources for generic weatherstrip (Pep Boys et al).

You may get lucky with something from Pep Boys - but I have had better luck with McMaster Carr http://www.mcmaster.com/

I know this isn't one of the parts you inquired about, but I used McMaster Carr p/n 1120A231 to replace the weatherstripping attached to the body around the doors (retaining the stock stripping around the windows). Maybe something else in their vast catalog could be substituted to meet your needs.

1120a141c2-style1-j05l.png

Last edited:

Gary Knox

E9 Member Emeritus
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
gte619n,

I'm replacing the rear door seals on my '74 (#13?) with new ones. The ones I currently have are in pretty good condition (installed in '88, and the car only driven ~20K miles since then, always garaged). They are yours IF you want them for just the cost of shipping. That assumes I can remove them without damage (I'll use a good bit of 3M adhesive solvent).

Just let me know - it'll be a few weeks before they are removed.

Cheers,

gte619n

Reaction score
@CTD, thank you so much for the offer, PM was sent.

@Gary, thanks for your offer as well. I will certainly reach out if there's an issue with the other seals.

@jmackro, McMaster is incredible. I'm in the local to their DC here in the Atlanta area. After you place an order, a guy in a van usually shows up at my door within 20 minutes! It's an incredible place and a great resource to have available.

@Don, The pleasure was certainly all mine. Without being able to check out your 2800CS and get your input on our car, we'd still be searching around in the dark! These seals are the perfect example. I just assumed that the door alignment on the car was crappy and that rain poured in naturally!

Thanks for the help guys.

twistinglane

Site Donor
Reaction score
Gary, if the door seals aren't spoken for yet, I'd like to take you up on your offer. "Pretty nice" would suit me fine. And I'd be pleased to make a donation to the forum in appreciation.
Best,
Paul

Gary Knox

E9 Member Emeritus
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Evan and Paul,

If Evan decides to pass on these, they are yours Paul. I'll look forward to hearing from Evan as soon as he decides whether he wants them or not.

Cheers,

gte619n

Reaction score
Hey Gary,

I'm just waiting to hear back about shipping from Belgium. I'll post as soon as I hear from CTD.

Thanks!

E

CTD

Reaction score
Can you give me 2 weeks to replace the drivers side seals? So I can send you both sides...

Gary Knox

E9 Member Emeritus
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
I have both my door seals removed, and they came off without damage. Since they've been there at least since 1987 when the restoration was done, they have a 'set'. I'd like to get them shipped to either Paul or Evan soon - before they get misplaced and lost!

Please let me know ASAP.

gte619n

Reaction score
Hey Gary,

Thanks for following up. I have the driver side pieces on the way, so I think I'm good for my purposes. Please pass them on to Paul!

Thanks,

E

twistinglane

Site Donor
Reaction score
Mine are in need of replacement, so I am still interested. Much appreciate the opportunity. Steve, I will remember you if I come across additional seals. Gary, I would be happy to pay something for them, otherwise I'll make a forum donation. PM sent. Paul

Gary Knox

E9 Member Emeritus
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Steve and Paul,

Steve - since Paul had been the first to respond asking for them IF Evan didn't want them, I'm committed to send them to Paul.

Paul - have your address and will send them out today. I'll let you know the shipping cost, and IF they meet your needs, you can make a contribution to e9 Forum for whatever you think the value is.

Cheers guys, glad they won't go to a landfill!!

gte619n

Reaction score
Hey guys,

Could someone send me some rough dimensions for the door seal and the front window seal? Just general thickness and width would be great.

Thanks!

E

Gary Knox

E9 Member Emeritus
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Evan,

There is a great 'new' seal for the rear of the doors made by 'Steele Rubber Products'. Do a search, I just installed mine about 3 weeks ago, and they fit beautifully.

gte619n

Reaction score
Hey Gary,

Thanks, that's awesome. I just ordered the doors and can't wait to get that on there. Found your old thread and noticed my bumpers were missing as well.

The piece that I'm really keen to replace is the large piece that goes from the a-pillar back to the rear windows. That's missing and is causing the doors to rattle around quite a bit.

Do you have another super smart solution for those??

Thanks!

E

rsporsche

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Evan,

are you talking about the top of the door - the interior trim at the top of the door? if so, i have a spare pair. or are you talking about the metal piece that goes around the door that the weatherstripping mounts to. there was a pair of those on ebay recently - doug had these for sale