Door weatherstrip change - advice needed please

Rek

Reaction score
I refer to the top piece of the "door" seal which goes from the dash to the top of the rear window, over the front door.

I can see two screws in the aluminum (note the gesture to US bretheren there), one small at the front and one at the rear. Are the others hidden or just not there and this is glued on section or are their fixing which have to be then hidden under the rubber.

I have tried the search function but its isn't clear to me.

Rek

Reaction score
I was asking how to get the trim off to fit the rubber into it. There only seems to be two very small screws at either end of the trim piece. Is it glued or are there hidden screws fixing it along its length?

Layne

Site Donor
Reaction score
There are many screws hidden under the rubber, as well as something like plumber's putty behind the metal to seal it. There should be no need to remove the metal though. The seal just clips into it. Just rip the old one out and you'll see. The old ones I have had a harder plastic backing glued to the rubber seal, but from pictures it appears new ones are just one material. They may need to be glued in, I'm not sure how they could clip in without the hard plastic.

rsporsche

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Rek,

sounds like somebody put screws thru the rubber ... which there should NOT be. the rubber slides onto the metal. As Layne has stated, the metal is screwed to the body ... not the rubber.

Aussiecsi

Reaction score
.....just a tangential question ...in the post above , Layne refers to a sealant that is somewhat like "plumber's putty " ( to me , it has the consistency and look of glazing putty ) . Anyway, after some 40 + years it is still quite malleable and I was wondering if there is something contemporary to replace it ?. I have checked at a body shop repair supplier and though the older guys recognised the "putty" , none could suggest a modern equivalent . I suspect modern putties would eventually "set" and harden but maybe this could be avoided by adding say additional linseed oil ? Thoughts appreciated.

daddywad

Reaction score
DSC_0178.JPG
DSC_0179.JPG