Door Wood Wanted

adawil2002

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Looking for good clean original finish French Walnut door wood for Athena.
Hers is chipped at the front edges on both sides.
All the other wood trim is in great condition.

Attachments

• IMG_1863.jpg
    IMG_1863.jpg
    90.6 KB · Views: 128

Bez

Site Donor
Reaction score
Andrew

Are you planning on doing the wood on the dash too?

If not....does Bela think that he can get a close match?

Has anyone just done their doors and not the dash?

adawil2002

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Andrew

Are you planning on doing the wood on the dash too?

If not....does Bela think that he can get a close match?

Has anyone just done their doors and not the dash?

I've sent Bela an e-mail and have not heard back as of this post.

I don't want to do the dash as that is in great shape, but if Bela wants all the wood then I'll send him everything to be done as original, or possibly Carpathian Elm Burl. :cool:

adawil2002

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Thanks for the link. Coupeking recommended Madera when I communicated with Peter S.

I've seen some beautiful non traditional veneers in coupes that are just stunning in person, correct, no. To everyones taste, no.

Attachments

• IMG_5616.jpg
    IMG_5616.jpg
    92.6 KB · Views: 95
  • IMG_5617.jpg
    IMG_5617.jpg
    88.4 KB · Views: 80
  • IMG_5618.jpg
    IMG_5618.jpg
    81.7 KB · Views: 80

Stevehose

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
A friend used Madera and it came out very nice. Maybe send them your driver's side as a guide to match the other.

Thanks for the link. Coupeking recommended Madera when I communicated with Peter S.

I've seen some beautiful non traditional veneers in coupes that are just stunning in person, correct, no. To everyones taste, no.

adawil2002

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
A friend used Madera and it came out very nice. Maybe send them your driver's side as a guide to match the other.

Heard back from Bela, wrote he could do it but wouldn't match perfectly. Quoted an amazingly good price for restoration of all the wood. So I plan to send him everything in November when my driving season ends.

Last edited:

dave v. in nc

Site Donor $
Reaction score
wood is good...

I appreciate his honesty, as matching a newly finished piece to the lot of 40 year old pieces would be mighty difficult; color not so much, but the sheen and depth of surface especially...I think you made a good decision...Even dry 40 year old glue gets tired...On the wood sets that I have done, its like a dentist; the more you poke around with pointy objet, the more problems that you find that you didn't know that you have until they let go...Athena's a pretty girl, and deserves new trim...:)

adawil2002

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
I appreciate his honesty, as matching a newly finished piece to the lot of 40 year old pieces would be mighty difficult; color not so much, but the sheen and depth of surface especially...I think you made a good decision...Even dry 40 year old glue gets tired...On the wood sets that I have done, its like a dentist; the more you poke around with pointy objet, the more problems that you find that you didn't know that you have until they let go...Athena's a pretty girl, and deserves new trim...:)

True. I'm a woodworker as well. I reveneered the steering wheel in Vern my 2002 Tii. It was a fun project.

The wood restoration is the last big winter project.

Thanks for your kind words about Athena.

73e3

Reaction score
Hey Andrew,

I'm Alvin, I've finally getting some work done on my e9, I would love to get the wood in my interior refinished also .. so now, who is Bela? Any chance you could give me contact information?

Thanks,

Al

bela22

Reaction score
Thanks for the kind words guys!

Right now I don't have cores, but ready to accept your cores for restoration.

bela

Gazz

Site Donor
Reaction score
N.B. When sending anything to Bela to be restored make sure that you state that the item is a gift as declared values incur Hungarian customs duties of 41%. This is refundable for items temporarily in the country but better not to incur it in the first place. I learned this the hard/expensive way.
BTW Bela is a very patient and helpful person; I'm looking forward to the result of his work on my wood pieces.