Draining the rear bumper overriders

pmansson

Reaction score
There may be some people who are unaware of the small drain holes on the lowest part of the underside of the rear overriders.

If the car has been washed, water will enter these overriders, and the drain holes are often clogged by dirt or small pebbles. It is very easy to insert an opened paperclip and turn it around a bit. Watch the water pour out......

I did this last week after a necessary, bi annual (OK Murray?) car wash, and thought I would share this small tip with the board.

D-jetronic

Reaction score
Hi

It is something often forgotten, but it's true, dirt obstruct the tiny hole in the overriders.
Hole must be 6 mms minimum diameter, if water is supposed to fell out itself. Too small when dirt comes in.
Found a trick to prevent this:
Do not tighten too much the bolt attaching the overrider to the rear panel, so water can fell out .Leave about one millimeter between seal and panel.
Enough to maintain seal on overrider...and water to get out.
Done this 15 years ago, when installing new parts.
No mud inside and no rust since.
A problem 2.5 CS do not know (no overriders !!!!!!)

pmansson

Reaction score
Don´t know the physical phenomenon, but when I clear the hole with a paper clip end, the water trickles/pours out on its own. Takes about a minute or two after a car wash with running water hose.

The 2,5 really had some odd ways of saving money; manual window winders, no overriders (which I hadn´t noticed before) smaller engine, steel wheels and probably more.

There´s a late, May 75, car for sale here in CH, with the huge, electric side mirror and the late, large steering wheel. It is also painted black, à la CSL, under the rear bumper. This must be original, as it´s had just one owner. Velour interior, which I happen to like.

blumax

(deceased)
Reaction score
Water collecting in over-riders

I have a different approach--beyond no longer pouring water over your coupes--before putting the hose on the car, put an air hose or one of those handy cans of air used to get rid of dust into the hole--close eyes and blow the stuff out of the o'rider.

Getting the o'rider wet when clogged with dirt and sand will eventually break down the interior coating and rust from within--ask me how I know--remember BLUMAX is 40 years of age and has now experienced most of the things that can happen to a coupe except the big hit from another vehicle.

BTW--those little o'riders are among the most pricey trim pieces for their size of all the necessary bits--at least they were the last time I checked.

bmwmadman

Site Donor $
Reaction score
I just looked at my rear bumper overriders and I don't see any hole for drainage. Funny enough, I do have a bunch of dirt that has accumilated that I can feel inside of them. Does the piece attached to the bumped that touches the body of the car suppose to have a hole? Could it be hidden under either the rubber that touches the body or under the bumper rubber piece? Please advise... Or better yet, please post a picture - thanks

jranmann

Banned
Reaction score
The 2 front over-riders (which are essentially a hollow metal polygon) lay on the top of the chrome horizontal bumper that run the full width of your car. Where these 2 parts meet chrome on chrome the seam that's formed between them leaks water. I may be possible to fabricate seals from home draft seal material that one uses on swinging wood doors...just a thought

2007_05_left_frontview060.jpg

overrider o·ver·rid·er [ ṓvər rdər ] (plural o·ver·rid·ers)noun
Definition:U.K. projection on car bumper: either of a pair of projections on the bumper of a motor vehicle, designed to prevent damage in a collision with the bumper of another vehicle

Water gets in along this joint as the air pressure that develops during driving forces it in...The hole you seek has likely been chromed over by someone in the past. (perhaps it's now electronic stud finder time?)

Last edited:

pmansson

Reaction score
With several cars and spare bumper kits, I remember one set of overriders that lacked the holes. Not an issue of them being "chromed over".
I simply drilled them before they went off to the baths.

jranmann

Banned
Reaction score
Factory original parts are always best....

Some PO's have the bumpers re-chromed over the years and as you say a non-standard replacement overrider part (after-market) can also effectively create the same issue.

Funny how us guys are always looking for openings (holes) and ofter are unable to fine them...I suppose most of us could be genetically challenged in that department...?

:lol

CSteve

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
After I wash my coupe with a minimum of water I take it for a pretty fast drive. Hopefully I am air drying some of the places where water accumulates. Or am I wasting gas and polluting the planet?

Some thoughts?

Steve

abe3.0CSi

Reaction score
I do the same....your not polluting, you are providing a little xtra CO2 for the plants.

abe

After I wash my coupe with a minimum of water I take it for a pretty fast drive. Hopefully I am air drying some of the places where water accumulates. Or am I wasting gas and polluting the planet?

Some thoughts?

Steve

pmansson

Reaction score
and I always leave it in the open sun (having washed and dried it in the shade) with all parts open that can be opened. A bit of wind helps too.

bmwmadman

Site Donor $
Reaction score
My car does not have a drain hole in the over rides. Might be a 2800 thing..

Bummer as I can feel the amount of dirt that are on the inside of them. I think mine are full. I guess I will have to add dis-assembling them on the list of things to do.