Drive shaft boots

Barry.b

Reaction score
Hi guys , I bought 4 of these but now that I have them I am wondering if 4 of the same part is not correct.
Surely the 2 inner ones need a hole for the shaft ( maybe )
Am I missing something here ?

Attachments

• D4443BC1-3AC8-4ED1-A085-1E99255A6968.jpeg
    D4443BC1-3AC8-4ED1-A085-1E99255A6968.jpeg
    133.3 KB · Views: 79
  • 654D5F6E-59F0-4EE2-BBAA-361FC963980B.jpeg
    654D5F6E-59F0-4EE2-BBAA-361FC963980B.jpeg
    382 KB · Views: 73

Barry.b

Reaction score
Okay
I have the shafts off the car now, but I have not stripped them down yet.
I hope it makes more sense to me as I start taking them apart.
Thanks again.

OCCoupe

Site Donor
Reaction score
If you can, keep the bearings intact and soak theme in kerosene. You’ll need to get creative with brushes to knock loose the old grease. Be careful not to let the bearings fall out as they only go back in one way. Also don’t forget to reinstall the circlips that go on the ends of the shafts.

HB Chris

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
I made the mistake of inserting bearings into their cage thinking I could grease them and avoid getting grease on my hands. Don’t do what I did. Apply grease to bearings first and Mike is right, it is like a Rubics cube putting them back in!

sfdon

Site Donor
Site Donor $$
Reaction score

The Rein Automotive line of OE-quality replacement parts was introduced to the North American market in 2007. Rein is the German word for “pure”, and has come to be synonymous with quality in the automotive aftermarket. A true dealer alternative.
The Rein brand includes a growing number of “better than OE” partsfor selected applications. These parts address known weaknesses and premature failures of factory parts.”

autokunst

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
You forgot to copy the next line on their website:

"Many of these replacement and service solutions have been developed with the help of our Innovation Council, a hand-picked group of experienced professional repair technicians and shop owners throughout North America."

I am assuming you are one of their hand-picked shop owners. :D Don, you are an innovator.

Gary Knox

E9 Member Emeritus
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
The Porsche 928 uses the same type shafts between transmission and wheel. In that community, for a long time, whenever new boots are installed, the Left side shaft is installed on the right wheel and vice versa. Thus, the balls in their cage will contact the side which was previously only contacted when the car was going backward in reverse. Essentially functioning as a new 'cage'.

Rein parts for these have been used for many years in that community as well (I've been active there for 25 years).

Gary

bavbob

Site Donor
Reaction score
I used them for my 1/2 shaft rebuilds in 2012 on the E3, 2017 on the E9, not a single issue. I wish I could say there was for Barry's sake since he forked over that $$$$ to W&N.

autokunst

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
It is funny, these parts we seek out for our classic cars. Sometimes it seems "you get what you pay for". Meaning, if you find a lower cost option, it might not be worth the cost to ship it out let alone put it on our precious classic cars. Other times, getting the right part has nothing to do with finding the most expensive part.

Not sure the same is true of qualified artisans/craftspeople.

boonies

Boonies
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
The Porsche 928 uses the same type shafts between transmission and wheel. In that community, for a long time, whenever new boots are installed, the Left side shaft is installed on the right wheel and vice versa. Thus, the balls in their cage will contact the side which was previously only contacted when the car was going backward in reverse. Essentially functioning as a new 'cage'.
Interesting concept on swapping the axles side to side, thanks for sharing Gary.

bavbob

Site Donor
Reaction score
Sierra Madre has a bunch of little tidbits that work for our cars, found them about 2 years ago.