Driving restored 02 in rain !!

G

Reaction score
Was just wondering for those of you have restored or mint condition 02's...do you drive them in the rain? I did an all out resto which was completed 5 years ago and I've put 7000 miles on it since then.
I live in Canada where the car needs to be locked up for 6months of the year due to snow and salt..in the summer time she's locked up in the garage and taken out on nice days for a pleasure drive....if I see a cloud in the sky or forcast for rain I'll leave her in the garage..she always looks great but to be honest not getting much satisfaction from her!

I guess it comes down to the old question "show or go" !!
Just wondering what everybody else was doing with their restored cars ?

Cheers
G
[Broken External Image]:http://www3.sympatico.ca/gnuts/14.jpg

G

Reaction score
LOL OOPS this was meant for 2002 forum..sorry

I guess it could apply to a coupe as well...but I wouldn't drive mine in the rain.

G

G

Reaction score
Sorry post was meant for 02 forum .

Sorry post was meant for 02 forum !

decoupe

(deceased)
Reaction score
G - I live in Canmore, AB (think Banff but we can shoot the wildlife) and can sympathize with the "weather" or not to drive question. My CS is off the road for the winter and I have to amuse my self with various projects I have concocted over the summer.

My policy is if it is raining and looks like it will get worse then take another car. If it starts after I'm on the road - drive faster so evaporation increases and reduces the effect. I bought it to drive. Having lived in TO for 10 years, your are more likely to face the issue more frequently in the summer than I and your winter is equal to a continous salt bath.

Ultimately I would rather have the car done again in 5 years then worry about every drop of water along the way or I would have to move to a much drier climate. Global warming is our only hope.

Rob Hannafin

Reaction score
Rain

I only drive my 95 525it in the rain, the others are parked. 96 Z3 10 years old caught in the rain once as my daughter took the wagon to school.

Mewish

Reaction score
I have no garage space for my e9 (dad's mint and tuned 635csi gets the spot), so I have no choice. I live in Tennesse, so no snow or salt. Am I going to rust the shit out of my coupe driving in the rain or is there anything that I can do?

Malc

Reaction score
2002's in the rain are very much like any other BMW.... fun :D
especially if you can avoid the armco barriers
An LSD cetainly helps along with good quality tyres, on my Tii I have Perelli 3000's which are pretty forgiving.

However if it's rust your worried about you need to rust proof your car with good quality cavity waxes and underbody waxes such as Dinitrol, Waxoyl etc
They are not cheap, but cheaper that chasing rust.
When I rebuild the Tii I gave it the treatment and so far, 6 years later in all sorts of weather the rust has yet to get a hold

THe same treatment will be applied to the dear old bucket once I to that point!
Malc
Edit Addition - to answer the original question Drive it! Restored cars are for having fun, not just sitting in the driveway

Bill Cutler

Reaction score
Rain & Rust

It's not the water that causes the rust. It's the dirt and other crap that gets washed up into the cracks and crevises, that retains the moisture, that then allows the corrosion to begin. Paint is not as waterproof as you would think. So the trick is to wash the underneath of your car with warm soapy water and a high pressure hose, to get rid of the buildup. Then blow the excess water away with your airline. It's a small price to pay for being able to drive the car in all weather conditions. If you do this, your coupe will take twice as long to rust....

blumax

(deceased)
Reaction score
Driving restored classics in the rain

my take--best to avoid unless no other choice--not so much due to rust--instead

It's the soccer Mom on her cell phone blasting in your direction fully confident that her Ford/Chevie/GMC/Mitsu/Toy/etc SUV "beast" has automatic hydroplaning prevention, stop on a dime brakes, complete collision avoidance systems in full operating mode and besides--hers is a lot bigger than yours--vehicle speak of course--tis enough to discourage most of my classic driving in the rain--not me but them--and where I live there are plenty of "them"

Mewish

Reaction score
The trick with that is to use superior driving ability and horn bleating skills to deter such threats

blumax

(deceased)
Reaction score
Bleating at soccer moms

Have bright red twin trumpet Eytalian air horns in the BLUMAX that emits about a 115db warning to soccer moms or others--they do help by shouting much louder than stock horns but are not a cure!!

got to test both E-horn and brakes yesterday in the dry--both worked well as a SM turned on red light just as I was passing through the same one lane intersection on green--temporarily got a bit crowded--the very loud musical blatting disrupted her no doubt high priority cell phone conversation just long enough to prompt waving a finger at me in the air--tho not her ring finger--

do you suppose she thought I was "hitting on her"--if I had a big bumpered SUV under me at that moment I might have accomodated her by "hitting on her" for real--she was such a sweet little thing--but being such a nice person :)>) I let her off just slightly awakened but unscathed as she returned to caressing her cell phone.

blumax

(deceased)
Reaction score
Bleating at soccer moms

Have bright red twin trumpet Eytalian air horns in the BLUMAX that emits about a 115db warning to soccer moms or others--they do help by shouting much louder than stock horns but are not a cure!!

got to test both E-horn and brakes yesterday in the dry--both worked well as a SM turned on red light just as I was passing through the same one lane intersection on green--temporarily got a bit crowded--the very loud musical blatting disrupted her no doubt high priority cell phone conversation just long enough to prompt waving a finger at me in the air--tho not her ring finger--

do you suppose she thought I was "hitting on her"--if I had a big bumpered SUV under me at that moment I might have accomodated her by "hitting on her" for real--she was such a sweet little thing--but being such a nice person :)>) I let her off just slightly awakened but unscathed as she returned to caressing her cell phone.