Dutch E9 (CSi) on BAT

tferrer

Site Donor
Reaction score
So I posed the question below to the seller regarding the paint. His response is below that...

Question :
Looking closely at the paint, there appears to be a good deal of orange peel on the main body (original paint) matching the repainted areas. Did you have the original paint clear coated when you did the front?

The matching on the texture of the original and repainted areas would be nearly impossible to match. I'm thinking the entire car was clear coated when you repainted the front? Could you clarify please? Pictures below. I'm interested in the car but this has me scratching my head...

SELLER RESPONSE :
About the paint, yes indeed its Nearly impossible ;). We found a painter/bodyshop that Sees, Understands the question. It was painted with the same kind of orange peel and structure. The color match is perfect. No, the original paint is not clear coated, all original.
The orange peel you see on the backside of the car is original paint, from BMW.

-------------

I'm still scratching my head...

tightbox

Reaction score
The “orange peel” appearance is not present in my original Fjord paint. I assume it could be due to detailing/compounding at some point in the past, but it is a reference point.

I’m assuming this car had the same separating clear coat issues on its hood that mine exhibits. I’m still on the fence with how best to address it. (I also secretly kinda dig the patina, but would never admit that here - plus they’re only truly original once!). This auction clearly shows that questions invariably arise when any paint work is undertaken.

JamesE30

Reaction score
The “orange peel” appearance is not present in my original Fjord paint. I assume it could be due to detailing/compounding at some point in the past, but it is a reference point.

I’m assuming this car had the same separating clear coat issues on its hood that mine exhibits. I’m still on the fence with how best to address it. (I also secretly kinda dig the patina, but would never admit that here - plus they’re only truly original once!). This auction clearly shows that questions invariably arise when any paint work is undertaken.

Correct me if I’m wrong, but wouldn’t factory Atlantik be single stage paint aka no clear coat?..

Willem Tell

Site Donor $
Reaction score
Never seen these before.

Definitely would help with rock chips; not so sure about anything else other than hiding what's underneath.
Those panels were installed on The Unicorn when I got it from Oldenzaal, but they won't save you! This is my car after a couple of months of driving in dry weather, albeit with a very few meters on country gravel roads (driveways). And we wonder why they rust!:
IMG_3253.JPG
IMG_3255.JPG

My solution added under Lokari inner fenders. I have the whole area waxed inside, crevasses painted with Vaseline, and sprayed with Owaldöl on exposed surfaces. Then I added these closed-cell foam blocks to keep the gravel from collecting. The Lokaris are designed to pull air in from the front, and I left gaps around these pads for air to circulate. Mainly a "bounce barrier" to bounce the rocks off.
DSC00433.JPG

DSC00434.JPG
DSC00440.JPG

DSC00450.JPG
DSC00435.JPG

Last edited:

HB Chris

Site Donor $$
Reaction score

No clearcoat on Atlantik, it’s a single stage paint.

tightbox

Reaction score
Thanks for the heads up, James and Chris - I've learned something new! I'm not near my car now, but it would be interesting to check it closely under the C-pillar roundel. You can see significantly more orange peel in the close up photo highlighted by Markos above, and that area would be nearly impossible to level out with compounding.

Now that I've admitted my patina fetish in public, I wonder if BAT checked this thread after their auction closed? They posted a QOTW about when to keep patina shortly after my post here (probably just a funny coincidence).