E21 320i intake runner questions

Oldbmwcoupes

Reaction score
Hi all, I’m very new to the forum and to most all forms of electronic communication. I have several e9 coupes as well as early m90 e24 cars. Please clarify whether the runners from any other car/ engine other than the m90 are in fact better than those on the m90... thanks. Mark

Stevehose

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Mark I sent you a message

Hi all, I’m very new to the forum and to most all forms of electronic communication. I have several e9 coupes as well as early m90 e24 cars. Please clarify whether the runners from any other car/ engine other than the m90 are in fact better than those on the m90... thanks. Mark

E3-3.0Si

Reaction score
Modified title to avoid confusion. Heads up @E3-3.0Si.
I have to say I’m not particularly happy about other people interfering with my thread. The original title articulated my query accurately. The new one doesn’t, especially given I don’t own an E9, and the parts being queries aren’t just a modification for M30 engines.

Further, given it appears that we want to be pedantic, it’s ‘precision’, not ‘precision’.

Markos

Site Donor
Reaction score
I have to say I’m not particularly happy about other people interfering with my thread. The original title articulated my query accurately. The new one doesn’t, especially given I don’t own an E9, and the parts being queries aren’t just a modification for M30 engines.

Further, given it appears that we want to be pedantic, it’s ‘precision’, not ‘precision’.

@E3-3.0Si. I sent you a PM on the subject. I can change it back if you wish. You can also change it yourself by clicking the dropdown arrow at the top right of your thread. I won't be tinkering with the title anymore. As with most people, I'm personally more concerned with the valuable content in this thread than the title.

screenshot2.png

E3-3.0Si

Reaction score
So, a little update on this one. KHB very kindly sent me the E21 320i intake runners that he found in his local junk yard (thanks Kevin!), so I decided to do a little comparison. I was curious about the equivalent 2002tii parts and how they compared, and the results are pretty interesting. As you can see below, the 2002tii and 320i are identical in size, shape and profile. The only difference is that the 320i items have extra ribs cast in. When compared to the standard L Jet tube, you can see just how much bigger they are. So, from left to right, here are the E21, 2002tii and 3.0Si tubes for you to compare.....

Attachments

• 17312E64-9A4E-4D27-86D1-68570A0B301F.jpeg
    17312E64-9A4E-4D27-86D1-68570A0B301F.jpeg
    306.3 KB · Views: 221

Bosozoku

Reaction score
so it would be safe to say that the 320i and tii tubes can be mixed and matched together i order to make a complete six tube setup?

Oldbmwcoupes

Reaction score
How would these compare to the runners on the m90 found in early euro 635 Csi and m535i cars? I’m curious as I have several of these intakes.

E3-3.0Si

Reaction score
How would these compare to the runners on the m90 found in early euro 635 Csi and m535i cars? I’m curious as I have several of these intakes.
The runners you have from the M90 engine are the same part as the one shown on the right of the photo I posted above; so in essence, the small one. For reference, the part number is 11611256567 and featured on L Jetronic equipped cars such as those fitted with M90 engines (E12 M535i, early E24 635CSI etc), E3 3.3Li and late 3.0Si models, E24 633CSI and so on.

Oldbmwcoupes

Reaction score
Thanks for the clarification! That’s a bit surprising to me that the fairly potent m90 was breathing through such small maccaroni runners. Does it benefit from swapping runners?

E3-3.0Si

Reaction score
Thanks for the clarification! That’s a bit surprising to me that the fairly potent m90 was breathing through such small maccaroni runners. Does it benefit from swapping runners?

That question was exactly what this thread was all about! I think the simple answer is 'yes'.

lip277

Site Donor $
Reaction score
I have an M90 with Megasquirt going into my CS. It's going to emulate the setup the CSi's had originally but be a bit 'different' :)
SFDon is doing that and a TON of other stuff with the car.
That being said - I asked Don about going to the longer C tubes and he encouraged me to get the 320i ones.
I sourced a set and am looking forward to seeing how they do (and the rest of the car does as well - lol)

Bosozoku

Reaction score
My runners are making contact with the brake booster. I must need new motor mounts. But ireland is out of stock on the poly mounts.20210106_175441.jpg