E24 Front Struts into an E9?

WISE9UY

Site Donor
Reaction score
Hello all,

Quick question: is it possible to use an E24 front strut in an E9? IF it is technically possible, is there are reason why you would not use one from an E24?

Thank-you in advance.

HB Chris

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
An e12 strut fits, so early e24 would probably work. However, in 74 the e9 struts changed, spindle orientation vs. degrees from strut, in conjunction with the new for that year longer control arms. These are also a tiny bit shorter as discussed recently and brake hose mount is on wrong side of the strut but can be adapted.

WISE9UY

Site Donor
Reaction score
An e12 strut fits, so early e24 would probably work. However, in 74 the e9 struts changed, spindle orientation vs. degrees from strut, in conjunction with the new for that year longer control arms. These are also a tiny bit shorter as discussed recently and brake hose mount is on wrong side of the strut but can be adapted.

Thanks for the feedback! Any idea about the camber angle? I am concerned that the camber may be off because I think the distance from tower to tower (centre of strut) is less on an E24. While I could check part numbers, the question is whether they will work.... it may be a matter of try and see. My intent would be to replace all the running gear with that from an E24. Sacrilege???

Mike Goble

Reaction score
I have a set of E3 struts, E12 struts and E24 struts to compare. One thing that interested me right off was the difference between the steering arms. The E12/E24 arms are shorter, the pivot point is closer to the c/l of the strut, and the outer ball joint is about an inch lower.
LTR4qZi.jpg

Yx4iUWk.jpg

FTSXdqA.jpg

As far as the strut body, the E12/E24 is 1/2" shorter from the lower spring mount to the end of the housing and the angle between the c/l of the strut and the mounting face of the wheel is 6°, compared to 5° on the E3 strut, as measured by my trusty angle gauge. This would mean you lose 1° of negative camber going from E3 to E12/E24 struts. I suspected as much when I put the E12 struts in my car at the same time as I installed some camber plates from IE and my camber seemed to be the same. In the pic, the E12/E24 strut is above the E3 strut. A disadvantage of the E12/E24 strut is tire interference due to the lower spring mount impinging on the tire space.
PjIuVoJ.jpg

Last edited:

3nsahalee

Site Donor
Reaction score
Is OP asking about just the strut insert itself? That's what I read into the original question. If that's the case, I think we just need to compare the diameter, length and travel. From having had both e24s and e9s, I think the front strut inserts from an e24s should fit an e9. Though I cannot 100% confirm.

Mike Goble

Reaction score
Is OP asking about just the strut insert itself? That's what I read into the original question. If that's the case, I think we just need to compare the diameter, length and travel. From having had both e24s and e9s, I think the front strut inserts from an e24s should fit an e9. Though I cannot 100% confirm.

The e24 insert does fit into the e3 strut and the 50mm e3 locking ring fits over the shaft, but the body of the e24 insert is 3/8" shorter than the e3. You can drop some flat washers into the tube to take up the slack and it would fit just fine. The compressed length of each shock is very similar.

Kp8L8i0.jpg

NEwSSsf.jpg

6eF6y0H.jpg