E3 3.0S for sale

HB Chris

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
See this thread:

Dick Steinkamp

Site Donor $
Reaction score
What a special car! :love: Please DO NOT send Ron's contact info. I'm weak.

... and engine bay has lots of patina (Polaris turns gold with age for some reason here)

This seems to be a common thing. I've seen several E3/E9 engine compartments that have "yellowed out", including my Bavaria...

IMG_4921.jpeg

Maybe cosmoline or other protectant that was sprayed on by the factory?

BTW, in the engine compartment picture you show...

AE565246-962D-44A6-9D7C-C229BEB37E66.jpg

...I think you can see the wires and devices asked about in post 15 of this thread and that you identified in post 19.

HB Chris

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
They didn’t use cosmoline back then, the first use I’ve seen in a BMW was on the e30 and only on the motor. Polaris turns gold and others may do the same but less visible. Is it lack of clear coat in the bay?

JMinPDX

Site Donor
Site Donor $
Reaction score
As has been covered before 3.0s more nicely appointed than standard Bavaria. A lot of car for the money. Great interior. Love the wheels and the Becker Gran Prix is an awesome radio. Someone here should snap it up Quickly.

HB Chris

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Not sure I can agree. My former 67 230SL to my knowledge was a two stage paint (silver) with clear coat and our 70 2800 Polaris has a clear as well. The earliest formulation of Polaris, 057, may have been single stage but 060 came out in at least 1968 on the 2002 and earliest e3and e9 in Europe. We know BMW had many warranty claims over clear coat failure on 2002s. I could be wrong and would love to have a definitive answer.

Last edited:

bluecoupe30!

Site Donor
Reaction score
Have had some experience with Cosmoline. This was 1979. I drove my Healey 3000 from the Left Coast to the other Coast, and shipped it to the UK for Austin Healey Weekend. Took substantially longer than a weekend, I might add. ;) After exhausting pretty much every opportunity for Austin Healey revelry, I proceeded to contract shipment of my BJ8 to Los Angeles.
I collected my car and noted an especially thick application of noted Cosmolene to pretty much everywhere on any exterior surface my Healey. Took 3 days to remove, but left , ahem, stains upon my gracious host's driveway. Have apologized regularly. Christmas cards and such. Southern California sunlight eventually dealt with that. But the Cosmolene was effective in protecting my car from the effects of the sea salt. In reality it doesn't matter at all, as I eventually embarked upon a full scale restoration, so we attacked any corrosion, and I still own and drive this car. Probably newer products. But Cosmolene does work!

CSBM5

Reaction score
Not sure I can agree. My former 67 230SL to my knowledge was a two stage paint (silver) with clear coat and our 70 2800 Polaris has a clear as well. The earliest formulation of Polaris, 057, may have been single stage but 060 came out in at least 1968 on the 2002 and earliest e3and e9 in Europe. We know BMW had many warranty claims over clear coat failure on 2002s. I could be wrong and would love to have a definitive answer.

Yeah, I was wondering about the clear coat comment. If early metallic silver wasn't clear coated, what was it that "crazed" all over the top surfaces on early 70s BMWs, Porsches, etc. My father's Bavaria was Atlantik Blue so no clear coat on that, but he also had a 1973 914 2.0 in silver that by 1974-75 was "crazing" on the hood and trunk, so it was repainted.