E3 3.0si not enough power

robbe e3

Reaction score
Hello everybody
I have a question regarding my BMW e3 3.0si DJet.
It drives lovely but I noticed that the engine does not have a lot of power.
It takes of in first and 2nd gear very well, as soon as I go to 3th it's getting harder to go faster or go on to higher rpm.

First of all how do I test the coil/ spool? What are the wanted values and can this be a problem?

This is my first e3, maybe it's in my head but I expect a 200hp car wirh 60k kilometers to have a little more then it has now.

I was thinking about some things to chek, but I would love some expertise from more experienced people as well.
-new sparks
-rotor is very worn so I ordered a new one (possible explanation?)
-rotorcap is also very worn so I ordered it as well
-spool-coil change (want to test it first)
-pressure test cilinders (hope this is ok, I'm waiting on a testing tool)
-fuel pressure, no idea how I can test that one with my tools but the pump looks new
-vacuum adjustment sparks

Does anyone have some more ideas?

Anyways thanks for the help!
Have a nice day

Last edited:

JFENG

Site Donor
Reaction score
I had a 1976 3.0Si. The USA model had L-Jetronic, not D-Jet. It had plenty of power compared to other cars of that period, but was slow compared to early E3’s. Why? The USA model was heavy, and the engine was detuned and had very intrusive emissions control equipment (thermal reactors, big egr, ignition retard, etc).

If allowed, I would remove as much of the emissions equipment as legally possible.

Then, I would verify that all basic systems are working normally (Haynes or BMW workshop manual will tell you how to do a full check and turn up). I prefer the Haynes manual if you are not very experienced. This will also tell you if the engine is worn out etc.

John

Last edited:

tochi

Reaction score
It may be that your low engine power complaint may not directly involve your engine. You failed to indicate what type of transmission is attached to your engine. If, for example, you have an automatic transmission, a severely worn/kaput torque converter or worn clutches or leaky valve body might easily explain why you evidently suffer a power loss in some but not all gears. A secondary (non-engine-related) consideration might be parasitic power losses that might occur with a slipping/worn clutch or other power train losses that might be attributable to manual transmission problems.

It might be interesting to know your vehicle’s current rear axle ratio. Depending upon the ratio, especially something like a 3.25/1 ratio, a tired/marginally operating engine might seem even more debilitated than a 3.64/1 or 3.73/1 ratio. And, of course, a differential without appropriate lubrication can heat up and related friction can . . . put an unnecessary drag on things.

Lastly, your symptoms may indeed be a problem with your vehicle’s Djet system. The problem is that the description of the problem suggests that the engine is operating properly in gears one and two, but not a higher transmission gear. Nevertheless, severely retarded ignition timing might account for poor high speed engine performance. Also, a worn or maladjusted throttle position sensor or problems with related sensors (intake air, cylinder head), injector trigger points (in ignition distributor) or any number of manifold vacuum leaks (especially related to the manifold pressure sensor) might account for poor high/er speed (under-partial or full load) engine operation.
Hello everybody
I have a question regarding my BMW e3 3.0si DJet.
It drives lovely but I noticed that the engine does not have a lot of power.
It takes of in first and 2nd gear very well, as soon as I go to 3th it's getting harder to go faster or go on to higher rpm.

First of all how do I test the coil/ spool? What are the wanted values and can this be a problem?

This is my first e3, maybe it's in my head but I expect a 200hp car wirh 60k kilometers to have a little more then it has now.

I was thinking about some things to chek, but I would love some expertise from more experienced people as well.
-new sparks
-rotor is very worn so I ordered a new one (possible explanation?)
-rotorcap is also very worn so I ordered it as well
-spool-coil change (want to test it first)
-pressure test cilinders (hope this is ok, I'm waiting on a testing tool)
-fuel pressure, no idea how I can test that one with my tools but the pump looks new
-vacuum adjustment sparks

Does anyone have some more ideas?

Anyways thanks for the help!
Have a nice day
d3352213-b061-400a-a1ba-d664710f5257-jpeg.88078

img_2719-jpg.51874

DSCN3786.JPG
DSCN3778.JPG
3a.jpg

Last edited:

chope97

Reaction score
hey I own the last car now, I have had it since 2017 purchased it at an auction in PA. Wha a coincidence, was this your car?