E3 carbs in an E9

The positive is at the right side with the red cable going to the starter as you mention. I have to check where the black cable (from the positive) goes, it doesn't go to the body I can assure you that, it must be powering something else.

The ground or negative cable is easier to explain. I have a battery cut off switch installed in the left hand compartment (where the hood opening handle is), so that's why the ground cable doesn't go directly to the body. It goes from the battery to the cut off switch and then to gound.

Not only is this a 50 y/o car, but one that was messed around with in the 90s when it was converted to a CSi. Add to that the fact that I am in in Mexico, and there's probably less than 10 E9s in the country, so I have nothing close by to compare it with....and there are no mechanics that have specific knowledge of the E9.

I appreciate you pointing these things out so I can investigate and return to original whenever possible.

Same story with the water tank, I never realized it was incorrect or modified, now I have one more thing to fret about... ;)

Enjoy the weekend!

Henry

mexico seems like a challenge

battery mystery solved then…

Some random pics of cs engine bays

Forget the oil pressure sensor

80A0FA04-046E-4CD1-9DF0-3082D227F597.jpeg

distributor for cs

81961610-55A9-44C9-8020-15DBB729C923.jpeg

battery and surroundings

8C541C0D-920A-43CE-830B-F3D9B083D74C.jpeg

coolant reservoir

A31D2DAF-C1EC-471F-8336-303EA188EF00.jpeg

mech fuel pump and carbs

3F3C4F62-3548-42B6-9F83-5EF5C0B0AAC7.jpeg

set up is much more simple

i would say that many zenith configurations will work,

the simplest one is for carbs with no additional air valve, those ones only require a 12v hot lead

Last edited:
The E3 has the earlier air cleaner with the hole above the exhaust heat valve and a missing rubber plug. It also only has one smog dashpot on the firewall. Is it a 2800 or 2500? The 2.8 and 2.5 engines have different carb jets than the 3.0. I‘m not sure which transmissions your cars have, but three liter automatics have different jets that manuals. Automatics also need a kickdown linkage for the carbs.

This looks like the pollution/emissions system which prevents abrupt closure of the carburetor throttles by slowing it down to a few seconds. I think this was introduced in the USA maybe in 1973 .
Thanks a lot. I did not know that. On ECE cars that box appeared much later and maybe even for a different purpose. For the USA models it must have started in 1970. Today I accidentally got across a manual for the first version Zenith, and the system is described there for "BMW 2500/A USA, BMW 2800/A USA, BMW 2800/A Coupé USA". Production of the 2500 USA was discontinued at the end of 1970.
Is it a 2800 or 2500?
Well spotted. Made me look again. The E3 is a Series 1 car, note the windscreen wiper jet in the airbox and another bent one in front of the firewall. Probably a 2800 as the 2500 USA are very rare. The carb & jet thing I tried to explain in #5, only not as clearly as you did. One way to find out which engine we likely have here is looking at the engine number. Not a guarantee but often it helps. Still we don't know if the carburettors are original to the engine. Cast dates of cylinder head and inlet manifolds are worth a look for that. Not a guarantee but..., you already know.
I would acquire a set of water outlet hoses
A bit off-topic here but you are right. Better buy more than one set as they tend to slide off the metal hoses, at least in Germany. The man in the nearby workshop always puts a pair in the boot of the cars he has restored on delivery. Best way they don't get lost, he says.

I would acquire a set of water outlet hoses (see part number 1 here: https://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/showparts?id=3436-USA-05-1972-E9-BMW-30CS&diagId=64_0865).

These not only allow water out, they prevent exhaust gases from entering the cockpit through the heater ducts.
guys, the basic physics of what Chris has mentioned here is quite simple. have you ever wondered why there is also a gasket on top of the firewall that seals the intake area from the engine compartment ... don't forget there is also a seal at the perimeter of the hood between the firewall and the windshield. i know from driving my coupe around when i first bought it, it didn't have the seal onto of the firewall and didn't have the 2 drain outlet covers. i quickly learned that i had engine smells inside the car.

bottom line, if you don't have these 2 drain seals / duckbills ... call Carl Nelson and get them. they are very important. thanks Chris for driving this point home.

Back