E3 Clocks

Dick Steinkamp

Site Donor $
Reaction score
Early this year I sent my non working Bavaria clock to The Clock Works to get it running. Unfortunately, The Clock Works reported back that they couldn't do it. My clock was missing at least one gear and they didn't have any parts or parts clocks to fix mine. Clock Works reassembled my clock and shipped it back to me. No charge...even for the return shipping.

Later this year, I was fortunate enough to score two parts clocks from a forum member (thanks Tom!). One of them was a electric/mechanical clock just like mine, and the other looked exactly the same but was marked "VDO quartz zeit" instead of "VDO Kienzile".

IMG_6438.JPG

I am guessing that BMW changed to the quartz clock when they became widely available...maybe around 73-74. They were simpler, kept better time, and were less expensive. Real OEM was not much help in pinning this down. In fact, Real OEM shows the part number for an E3 clock as being the same as for all years E9 also...but I have never seen an E9 with this clock.

I sent my clock back to Clock Works along with the parts clocks with a request to try to make one good clock out of the two Kienzles and to try to repair the quartz model. They did both. I chose to install the Kienzle in my car. It was the original clock for the car plus I love the barely audible (to my old ears) ticking...then the "clunk" as the points close and the clock rewinds. I figured I was sacrificing some time accuracy in so doing, but so far the Kienzle is quite accurate.

The variety of a car restoration is great for my short attention span. I can go from blocking out a big sedan body and doing major mechanical systems work, to worrying about the accuracy of the clock. :)

HB Chris

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
When BMW replaces a part with another that has the same fit and functionality it doesn’t change the part number. Yes, e9 clocks also received the improved quartz zeit movement, my coupe is May 1973 and has the quartz clock, it keeps perfect time and I mean perfect.

Mot27cars

Site Donor
Reaction score
Early this year I sent my non working Bavaria clock to The Clock Works to get it running. Unfortunately, The Clock Works reported back that they couldn't do it. My clock was missing at least one gear and they didn't have any parts or parts clocks to fix mine. Clock Works reassembled my clock and shipped it back to me. No charge...even for the return shipping.

Later this year, I was fortunate enough to score two parts clocks from a forum member (thanks Tom!). One of them was a electric/mechanical clock just like mine, and the other looked exactly the same but was marked "VDO quartz zeit" instead of "VDO Kienzile".

View attachment 121717

I am guessing that BMW changed to the quartz clock when they became widely available...maybe around 73-74. They were simpler, kept better time, and were less expensive. Real OEM was not much help in pinning this down. In fact, Real OEM shows the part number for an E3 clock as being the same as for all years E9 also...but I have never seen an E9 with this clock.

I sent my clock back to Clock Works along with the parts clocks with a request to try to make one good clock out of the two Kienzles and to try to repair the quartz model. They did both. I chose to install the Kienzle in my car. It was the original clock for the car plus I love the barely audible (to my old ears) ticking...then the "clunk" as the points close and the clock rewinds. I figured I was sacrificing some time accuracy in so doing, but so far the Kienzle is quite accurate.

The variety of a car restoration is great for my short attention span. I can go from blocking out a big sedan body and doing major mechanical systems work, to worrying about the accuracy of the clock. :)
Awesome

GolfBavaria

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Mine is the same as Chris's but April 1973 and of course an E3. I spent waaaaaay toooooo much money and had a Porsche 993 quartz back put in the clock. Yes it keeps perfect time but was it worth the expense? Hell yeah! LOL...no, just kidding, but I never worry about that clock working anymore or keeping perfect time...I love it. Why did I do this you ask? North Hollywood Speedo wouldn't work on the clock the way it was, it was kind of my only option, so you are lucky to find a place that will still tear them apart and be able to fix them like The Clock Works.

Dick Steinkamp

Site Donor $
Reaction score
I had a very good experience with clock works. Great communication. Fast service. The charge was $110 to make the Kienzle from 2 clocks and service it. The quartz was $130. They call it "reconditioned quartz movement". I have a feeling they may have just installed a new movement. I say "they" but I think it is a one person show.

Frederick

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Great to know the Clock Works resource. Just pulled my dash and the clock, addition to not working, has a screw pin broken off on the back. Assume this is repairable. Also pulled the gauge cluster. Any advise or suggestions on refurbishment? Would do it myself, but I really have to outsource some things or will never get close to an end product.

Dick Steinkamp

Site Donor $
Reaction score
Great to know the Clock Works resource. Just pulled my dash and the clock, addition to not working, has a screw pin broken off on the back. Assume this is repairable. Also pulled the gauge cluster. Any advise or suggestions on refurbishment? Would do it myself, but I really have to outsource some things or will never get close to an end product.
I left a parts clocks at Clock Works so hopefully they have the parts missing from your clock.

I had North Hollywood Speedometer do my nonop tachometer. $185. It appears to me that they installed a new, generic movement. Probably a much better solution than stocking parts and having the expertise to service all the tachometers ever made. Most clock repair companies do the same with vintage car clocks...they install a new, generic quartz movement. I really wanted that tic,tic, tic, clunk sound of an original, however.

Sean Haas

Site Donor $
Reaction score
I sent my VDO quartz clock out to ClockWorks who said it was not repairable due to a broken plastic gear, which is the case on about half of these clocks according to them (If you open your clock up it's a thin plastic orange colored gear.) However, while trying to find a replacement or see if I could get one 3D printed I stumbled on someone selling the replacement gear, which was just installed and is apparently working on the bench so it appears to be correct.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/275240048176

I can also vouch that ClockWorks was great to work with - quick response and repair. I threw them a parts clock as well so they have a few now (although they used a couple better gears from that in mine as well.)

Attachments

• gear.jpg
    gear.jpg
    52.2 KB · Views: 59