E3 Hood Liner

HB Chris

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
RealOEM is never right, the part number it lists as an assembly is just the two torsion rods. I think the revised shape was due to a change in tooling at some point. BMW used to sell complete assemblies until 15 years or so ago, at least on e9s.

HB Chris

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
The difference is very tiny! And BMW Concours are not concours, they are clean car contests. At any other show no one would know the difference, it is a new one for me as well.

Dick Steinkamp

Site Donor $
Reaction score
I'm just kidding, Chris. ;)

Thanks for the history on that piece. All the weird stuff with these vintage BMWs is interesting to me.

Christoph

Reaction score
This is the most beautiful underside of a bonnet I've ever seen, at least in a car that actually gets driven. And no, I do not intend to look up the different torsion bars.

Dick: Bonus points for the "minimalist look".

amg5872

Site Donor $
Reaction score
I know this is an old thread, but I am installing an after-market hood liner on my e3 and wondering what materials are best to clean/prep the surface where the old liner has crumbled away. Thanks!

bavbob

Site Donor
Reaction score
Citrus based cleaner and a plastic scraper to get all the old glue off then some simple green.

Sean Haas

Site Donor $
Reaction score
Goof Off Pro and a kitchen sponge worked best for me by far for getting off the old mastic. Then followed up with a light cleaner (simple green would do.)

Dick Steinkamp

Site Donor $
Reaction score
This is the best product that I have found for removing contact type adhesives as used on weatherstripping and likely on the hood pads. Does not harm automotive paints (but test first to make sure)...

Screen Shot 2022-08-02 at 7.57.42 AM.png

amg5872

Site Donor $
Reaction score
Thanks, all. I ordered some of that 3M stuff off of Amazon and they shipped it to me. I have the hood off of the e3 at the moment so that should make this easier.

vanbavaria

Site Donor
Reaction score
I recently bought a OEM hood liner for my E3 from maximillion imports. $93.60 excluding shipping with the sticky backing for direct install. I’ve posted photos of it with OEM number and packaging in my content.

vanbavaria

Site Donor
Reaction score
For those who are interested I did research on where to get a new engine hood sound absorber kit OEM# 51 48 1 806 707. It’s bmw OEM with the sealed skin top layer foam and removable backing to expose adhesive back layer. Maximillion Imports $100cdn plus shipping.

Attachments​

• 18CA8FD0-836F-49D6-8DBF-7438A25D2466.jpeg
    18CA8FD0-836F-49D6-8DBF-7438A25D2466.jpeg
    186.1 KB · Views: 26
  • 217B1326-F905-4EBA-A7C5-6C72C1E8EA26.jpeg

Erik

Site Donor
Reaction score
Assuming this is a long shot, - anyone know of a source for pads that look like this?

Bav hood pad set quilted.JPG