E3 Project Stalled (temporarily)

Dick Steinkamp

Site Donor $
Reaction score
When I have a project car (which is usually), I try to work on it everyday. Some days more than others ;) . I'm a car guy and retired, so I come by it honestly and it's usually easy to carve out the time. It's my hobby. My entertainment.

This Bavaria is no exception...up until recently. Since last fall, I've hunted down all missing parts and those that I had but that couldn't be brought back to acceptable condition, I fixed any mechanical problems I could find (I'm sure there are others waiting to appear when I can get some miles on the car). Detailed the engine compartment and trunk. I've finished the body work and had the car painted, cut and buffed. Cleaned and shined the parts I chose to use. Reassembled the exterior. All of the above with the help of this forum. Thanks :)

IMG_4532.jpeg

IMG_4530.jpeg

IMG_4533.jpeg

The problem is, I've run out of things I can do to the car. The next subproject is the interior. Although the dash is newly recovered and I've cleaned and painted the parts that go below the dash, there is still much to do...

IMG_4346.jpeg

The first step is to have the headliner installed (I've determined that job is above my pay grade). I've been waiting for the upholstery shop to have a slot open so I can get that done. It's been a month and there are still 2 jobs ahead of mine at the shop. It's tough to be patient. :(. I do have the new headliner from World and the carpet kit and front seat kits are on order from them too.

Once the headliner is in, my buddy Adam will install the front and rear glass. Then I can install the carpet kit and the rest of the interior except for the front seats (unless the shop can finish doing those on MY schedule).

So, there is light at the end of the tunnel. But that doesn't satisfy my need to be doing something to move the project forward.

TedS

Site Donor $
Reaction score
Looking sharp. Thanks for the pictures.
You're welcome to come down and help me with mine ;)

dang

Administrator
Site Donor
Reaction score
I typically have at least two projects going at the same time in case I have a roadblock on one I can keep working. In the case of my E3, I have about five projects going just on that car. :)

bavbob

Site Donor
Reaction score
The headliner really is the "trickle down" effect. No headliner, no window trim, no trim=no windows, no windows=no door seals and no door cards etc. I lived your pain till 2 weeks ago.

You could do belt trim while waiting, though I know it is hard to find and perhaps you don't want it. I will say the E3 trim is difficult to deal with c/w E9.

Dick Steinkamp

Site Donor $
Reaction score
The headliner really is the "trickle down" effect. No headliner, no window trim, no trim=no windows, no windows=no door seals and no door cards etc. I lived your pain till 2 weeks ago.

You could do belt trim while waiting, though I know it is hard to find and perhaps you don't want it. I will say the E3 trim is difficult to deal with c/w E9.

The waiting for someone else to do something I can't (or don't want to) do is the toughest part of car restoration. :(

The previous owner of mine had welded up the holes for the belt line trim. I do have a pretty good set of trim that I could attach with emblem tape, but I'm still deciding about that. I think the car looks good (maybe better?) without the belt line trim, but the trim was original and so far I'm staying pretty close to original.