E39 530i

HB Chris

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Murray's 2001 e39 is for sale in Costa Mesa as Beatrice is moving back to Columbia next month, if you know of any interested parties please let me know. Dark blue with tan leather, 147K miles, very clean, owned 1 1/2 years before he passed. Needs ABS module replaced.

RonP

Reaction score
Depending on the part number, I have a slightly used ABS module that I bought and installed in my 99 528i, then realized that it was the unit for the ASC+T unit and i couldn't return it.

HB Chris

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Ron,

I can't find a cross-reference to that part number. It has DSC though which is the more expensive one.

Chris

HB Chris

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
No Good Deed Goes Unpunished

Well, I had a buyer for $3600 but he is 28 and doesn't know anything about cars. I removed the ABS module to have it rebuilt and he took the car. Without the module it is still drivable but weird things happen.

It immediately developed a problem where in reverse in would only move slightly if engine were revved. Then it started showing over heating symptoms. I gave him his money back after he had it towed back to my house.

I installed the ABS module and all of the warning lights went out, yeah! But it overheated in 3 minutes and still won't back up. So now I have the proverbial albatross in front of my house, can't drive it and can't sell it. It is hissing steam under the the 1/2 intake runners meaning either cracked plastic heater tubes or most likely blown head gasket/cracked head. In any case I can't afford to throw money at symptoms that may not be the real issue. And Beatrice is upset and doesn't understand why no one wants it, hence the title of this post.

ben

Reaction score
Well, I had a buyer for $3600 but he is 28 and doesn't know anything about cars. I removed the ABS module to have it rebuilt and he took the car. Without the module it is still drivable but weird things happen.

It immediately developed a problem where in reverse in would only move slightly if engine were revved. Then it started showing over heating symptoms. I gave him his money back after he had it towed back to my house.

I installed the ABS module and all of the warning lights went out, yeah! But it overheated in 3 minutes and still won't back up. So now I have the proverbial albatross in front of my house, can't drive it and can't sell it. It is hissing steam under the the 1/2 intake runners meaning either cracked plastic heater tubes or most likely blown head gasket/cracked head. In any case I can't afford to throw money at symptoms that may not be the real issue. And Beatrice is upset and doesn't understand why no one wants it, hence the title of this post.

Hmm. That's no good. What's the production date on the car? 3/01 or later, or is it earlier?

Sounds like it needs a transmission. If it's a 3/01 or later, it has the ZF 5HP-19 trans, which means that it blew out the reverse drum inside the trans and is now in need of a rebuild. If it's an earlier car, that's the GM trans, you may get lucky with cleaning out the solenoids in the oil pan.

Hissing sounds like the plastic heater pipe broke. How long was it run hot? If it was run too long, the head is warped and the head bolt threads in the block are ruined. Replacement engine time, although sometimes the existing one can be saved, but it's a lot of work. If it wasn't too long, replacing the pipes may fix it.

For what was a $3600 car before any of these problems cropped up, sounds like it might be time to stick a fork in it...

HB Chris

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Ben,

Build date 5/23/01. And I don't feel like its worth spending a day or more removing everything needed to get to those darn pipes and then finding out that didn't fix it. Beatrice feigns no knowledge on how long it was run hot. Where do I sell a car that doesn't run?

Chris

flarimer

Reaction score
Murray's 2001 e39 is for sale in Costa Mesa as Beatrice is moving back to Columbia next month, if you know of any interested parties please let me know. Dark blue with tan leather, 147K miles, very clean, owned 1 1/2 years before he passed. Needs ABS module replaced.

Any thought(s) around donating it? What a pity as it is actually a really nice looking E39....

ben

Reaction score
Ben,

Build date 5/23/01. And I don't feel like its worth spending a day or more removing everything needed to get to those darn pipes and then finding out that didn't fix it. Beatrice feigns no knowledge on how long it was run hot. Where do I sell a car that doesn't run?

Chris

Well, theoretically the overheating could've just started after the buyer took it. Did you drive it around before selling it? The question then would be how long did the guy drive it with it overheating? Replacing those pipes isn't impossible, but it's no fun either. At least it's an E39, which has decent working room under the hood.

Regardless, it has the ZF transmission and will need a rebuild or replacement of the transmission. That is definitely not any fun.

Donate the car to charity? Try the CL game with disclosure? Or give the guys at Autobahn a call and see if they'll buy it to part out. They won't give you much for it though. Shame, really, as they're great cars, probably the best BMW offered in the '95-'05 period. This one just had everything bad fail at once.

Arde

Site Donor $
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
I smell the first E39 with an M30 engine coming out of this situation.