Reaction score
Looking at a 2000 E39 M5.

Any owners or wisdom for that model?

Appreciate any inputs.

vince

Site Donor
Reaction score
Hi Arde,

I've had my '03 M5 for about 5 years, it's been an incredible car. If you find a good one, you'll love and cherish it. There are not many cars out there with the looks, comfort, and power that this car has. There's something about knowing you're driving something that can completely waste 99% of the cars on the road.

Besides the obvious low miles, try to find one with little or no performance mods. You really don't need any enhancements with this car. The problem is finding a good stock one now, many of them are modified.

A 2000 is considered a 'pre facelift' car, the 2001 and later cars are more desireable.

Two tone leather (blue/black, red/black, or grey/black) or extended leather package are sought after.

The M5Board.com is a great resource, I think there is a section on buying an e39 M5.

One warning; If you get one and drive it all winter, be prepared for your reaction when you drive your coupe for the first time next spring...

Last edited:

Arde

Site Donor $
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Yes, this one has no mods and miles are low, plus I know the owner.

How about the dreaded secondary carbon buildup? Can you tell what the condition of the buildup is inside the engine? Or one day you get the check engine light and you have to sell the car to Mexico?

flarimer

Reaction score
Only from the perspective that I have owned a E39 (528i sport package) and presently own a E34 M5 as well as from having written the BMW Buyer's Guide.

E39's do have some common failure items like window regulators and coolant system issues related to the plastics used in the radiators and longer term fatigue problems around that.

There are also age and wear-related issues with the rear suspension ball joints. Listen for clunking or thumping going in and out of driveways or over parking lot speed bumps.

Also check for power steering hoses leaking - usually will need to get the car up on a lift to check these.

Basically, just like any car, have a pre-purchase inspection done by a mechanic that works on these cars as they'll be able to spot wear items and alert you to them.

Good luck with your quest - they are stunningly fast and yes, your other cars will feel sluggish when you drive them.

Arde

Site Donor $
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
The Beast

I have been looking for the right one also.
There is a way of checking for the secondary air problem ( carbon buildup ).
If you find a good one get it.

Thanks, what is the way? My mechanic does not have the piston colonoscopy camera, for lack of a better word.

rb1971

Reaction score
I owned a 2001 E39 M5 for 2.5 years from about 75k to about 85k miles on the chassis. The only problems I had were (1) the nav system is primitive but there is no easy way to fully remove it - I wish it just had a blank so I could use my phone and (2) minor cosmetic defects (e.g., scratches on the center console and steering wheel) caused by the first owned but that annoyed me enough to replace those panels.

I heard about but didn't experience the carbon issues. My mechanic, who has maintained several of these cars, tells me that problem gets a lot of airtime but he has not personally experienced it except in 1 car. That said, I think it's annoyingly expensive if you lose that spin of the wheel.

Post-facelift cars are more desirable as noted. I find multi-color upholstery to be atrocious but YMMV.

I've gotten rid of three cars in my life that I wish I had had the parking to hold onto, and this is one of them. I still find myself looking at ebaymotors to see whether there's a nice one out there. If I find myself in a better situation re parking in the future, an E39 M5 will again be on my short list.

-John

BarryG

Site Donor
Reaction score
Nor*Cal - Rocklin, around the corner from Dan
Ande
Stephen who builds the motors for Dinan's racing Daytona prototype cars told me that there is a test but didn't explain. Probably a days work at there shop.
A easy check is a removal of the air crossover pipe and see if there is any carbon inside. If yes then the heads need to come off $$$.
02/&03 go form 20 to 25 grand for a good one well worth it
Dinan is running this motor in the DP cars

tmason

Reaction score
1988 M5 in Reno

Hi Ande
The guy who is selling the coupe here in town has a very nice 1988 M5 with a 100K on it if you are shopping around.Black and Tan.
Tim

Arde

Site Donor $
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Thanks Tim. I was looking at the M39 version and thinking if I get it I would put the E24 into a slow restoration (interior, respray, etc.). I still need to find a resto place that will give me a better deal if they can keep the car for as long as they want and work on it during idle slots. Will explore the M39 first and see where it takes me.

Arde

Nicad

Site Donor
Reaction score
I think the E39 M5 is about the prettiest car BMW has made. It went downhill after that highwater mark. One thing I have noticed about E39 in Toronto is that they rust a lot quicker than an E46. Mercedes are melting away as type. A good E39 should hold it's value. I certainly like all the M5's that came before it too.

Good luck.

Ohmess

I wanna DRIVE!
Site Donor $
Reaction score
I have a 2000 540i6; very similar car. I second the comments on the cooling system; plan to just replace it all immediately. Also, plan to get a new battery unless you can verify the age of the one in the car. A dying battery will reek havoc on the electronics and generate oddball codes.

The bushings in the front thrust arms take a lot of stress and frequently need to be replaced. Also look specifically at the liquid filled motor mounts and rear carrier bushings. The car will feel a lot harsher if these have leaked.

vince

Site Donor
Reaction score
I think the E39 M5 is about the prettiest car BMW has made. It went downhill after that highwater mark. One thing I have noticed about E39 in Toronto is that they rust a lot quicker than an E46. Mercedes are melting away as type. A good E39 should hold it's value. I certainly like all the M5's that came before it too.

Good luck.

+1 on the looks. The E39 touring ain't bad to look at either. Probably the best looking wagon ever made.

We just picked up another wagon (we had our first one for around 5 years-loved that car) for our girls to drive, a '99 528it automatic w/sport package.

Arde

Site Donor $
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
I have a 2000 540i6; very similar car. I second the comments on the cooling system; plan to just replace it all immediately. Also, plan to get a new battery unless you can verify the age of the one in the car. A dying battery will reek havoc on the electronics and generate oddball codes.

The bushings in the front thrust arms take a lot of stress and frequently need to be replaced. Also look specifically at the liquid filled motor mounts and rear carrier bushings. The car will feel a lot harsher if these have leaked.

Everything cooling? Or just radiator?

Ohmess

I wanna DRIVE!
Site Donor $
Reaction score
Everything cooling? Or just radiator?

Radiator, expansion tank, hoses and tstat. Water pump seems to last a lot longer; but the plastic on the radiator, expansion tank, and on the ends of the hoses gets brittle with heat cycles. If they are original I would change them.

HB Chris

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Water pump impeller is plastic too, replace it! My e39 525 now gone had the typical issues for this model:

water leaking into rear doors due to sagging vapor barrier soaking the carpet, wind noise in A pillar due to windshield seal and/or missing jack plugs under car, oil filter housing leak at block, final stage resistor failure which turns your interior fan on after you've left the car (!), front tension strut bushing failures, disappearing pixels in the speedo and radio clusters which are near impossible to correct, broken/useless front cupholder, poor radio reception especially AM possibly due to amplifier in rear C pillar, and probably a few I have forgotten. Oh yeah, when the battery went it fried the alternator and put the car into limp home mode. I liked the car but didn't think it would last long enough to take me into retirement!

Ohmess

I wanna DRIVE!
Site Donor $
Reaction score
Yes, pixel disappearance is annoying; the cup holders suck (get ultimate cup holders), and the stereo is simply awful.

I have a gaggle of recommended modifications, starting with some small stuff like the bluetooth retrofit and changing the armrest.

Arde

Site Donor $
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Update: the car is looking good, it is a beast. I am doing the PPI next.
If it goes well I may have a problem because that car does not deserve to be used for
commute and I already have the E9 for week-ends.

Just send me a note if you are interested if PPI is good but I decide to pass on the car.
I will just connect you with my friend.

plafra63

Reaction score
I had a 2002 until I was rear ended which has led me on a search for an e9. I must admit I saw a nice e39 on the highway a few days ago and they are truly beautiful beasts. I agree with the comments below. The carbon build up in many cases was handled by the owner. As mentioned below m5board.com is a very active crowd with good advice. There are more options now to update the sat-nav if you find the need. But truly you will be satisfied with the engine note.