E9’s are selling like Hotcakes on BAT 73 with 5 speed

ablank135

Site Donor
Reaction score
The seller is starting to get really defensive now at even the mildest comments. I'm actually surprised at the gentle treatment this one has gotten so far, considering the apparent bodging.

JFENG

Site Donor
Reaction score
seller is starting to get really defensive
I think some comments have been pretty blunt. I think the seller is justified in being defensive unless he withdraws the excessive hyperbole in his older comments.
Btw, I suspect this car is relatively rust free as E9’s go. All that brushed on rustoleum must have provided a significant benefit.

I still think the car is worth $40-$50k.

dang

Administrator
Site Donor
Reaction score
A fancy motor but still needed a rattle can on the headers (and spark plug wires) and intake (and carburetors). Everything painted while still in the car. That's the only red flag you need...

Dick Steinkamp

Site Donor $
Reaction score
Some people simply are not very observant so it is possible the owner sincerely thinks the car is well restored, despite the fact that it isn’t. I’ll bet all of you know people like this, people who are intrinsically blind to things like rust bubbles, overspray, color mismatches, rough vs smooth paint, crooked panel gaps, etc. They look right thru superficial surface flaws and only see the beauty that lies beneath.
I believe this is the case. I don't think the seller is purposely misrepresenting the car. However, virtually everything would need to be redone (with the exception of some of the mechanical bits) in order for the car to be as nice as the seller thinks it is. My hope is that the buyer knows this...knows what he is getting...has done his homework on what it will take to get it right...and will be happy with his purchase.

HB Chris

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
I don’t think most BaT buyers have a clue as to what to look for or are just blinded by something they desire and don’t want to miss out before prices rise even higher. Look at all the comments saying many coupes are $100K cars when they aren’t, even from members here.

JFENG

Site Donor
Reaction score
Chris,
Looks to me like many ARE selling for over $100k . And some of those aren’t CSL’s

63A2F03E-F76C-4D3F-823C-FB3B1F90A85A.jpeg

HB Chris

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
John, I didn’t say there were no $100K coupes, just that those sales make others think theirs is worth the same when they obviously aren’t. Like Peter said recently, the big sales will draw the not so nice coupes into the market after getting the proverbial lipstick on the pig treatment.

And the recent CSis that sold for $202 and $175K were significantly over-priced by bidders that didn’t do a PPI, they succumbed to the siren’s wail.

JFENG

Site Donor
Reaction score
others think theirs is worth the same when they obviously aren’t
Ah, yes right. I think I may suffer from that disease as well. Otherwise it’s hard to be happy with a “before restoration” E9 when you are surrounded by guys like Stan, Andrew, and the other VSR clients.

Stevehose

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
I believe this is the case. I don't think the seller is purposely misrepresenting the car. However, virtually everything would need to be redone (with the exception of some of the mechanical bits) in order for the car to be as nice as the seller thinks it is. My hope is that the buyer knows this...knows what he is getting...has done his homework on what it will take to get it right...and will be happy with his purchase.

I started to agree with @bfeng and your theory, but the defensiveness and gaslighting responses now have me wondering otherwise. The additional pics he posted recently are so over the top contrasted as to make the images useless which I believe, along with all the other pics, is intentional. Then he calls into question the judgement of the commenters. The body may have decent bones, but the rest is a disaster imo.

bmw2800cs

Site Donor $
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
I started to agree with @bfeng and your theory, but the defensiveness and gaslighting responses now have me wondering otherwise. The additional pics he posted recently are so over the top contrasted as to make the images useless which I believe, along with all the other pics, is intentional. Then he calls into question the judgement of the commenters. The body may have decent bones, but the rest is a disaster imo.
Hey @Stevehose @Dick Steinkamp. This isn't sarcasm,how much of this car a mess? Is it that the case that the engine is solid, transmission likely solid and body/frame pretty good? Then we have paint average, interior a mess, engine compartment mess, underbody mess (but rust under control)?

Strato102

Site Donor
Reaction score
If you look at the trunk caddy, he had some left over silverish paint and shot at it. Right there and then. He didn't remove the edging from the top and painted a little collection of something right in place in the forward corner. Varnishing over the guages, fender washers hoding a disjointed console. It's his prerogative to manage his car in his own style but the reaction was imminent.

dang

Administrator
Site Donor
Reaction score
The seller's "good enough" scale is extremely low so I think his comments make it worse. But, if the price stays reasonable the new owner probably has a good base to do as he/she pleases. Maybe they'll end up on the forum.

CSL177

Site Donor $
Reaction score
Seller claims "I was a concours judge in the BMW CCA DC/MD/VA chapter for many years, as well as a judge for the Mercedes CCA."

Mmmmmm, sure.

Trying to imagine this guy among the Q-tip crowd... some of us have experienced his type. Unpleasantness usually ensued.