E9 Cabriolet!!!!

abe3.0CSi

Reaction score
...well, not really, only in my dreams. People do crazy things..I wonder if anyone out there converted an E9 into a convertible just like a Mercedes 280SE3.5 of the same era. It sure would have looked nice...but probably needed alot more body reinforcement to the already feeble little body of the E9...all cabs need structural reinforcements. Just picture it in your mind....what a great addition to the BMW line up of that time.
abe

Pictured borrowed from this site

Attachments

• DSC00426.jpg
    DSC00426.jpg
    100.9 KB · Views: 975
Last edited:

abe3.0CSi

Reaction score
That is way too cool!!! I love the center console dash on the black E9!! I want one of those...it looks like it was done in great taste with the convertible cover like a contemporary car...way cool. Only on this site can someone come up with this....did I say way cool! I am for keeping the traditional look...but those are way too cool!!!
abe

Last edited:

dang

Administrator
Site Donor
Reaction score
I think I'll have to disagree. I think losing the C-pillar shape and roundel is one of the worst things you can do to a coupe. Looks like a Jensen Interceptor to me.

jmackro

Reaction score
I think I'll have to disagree. I think losing the C-pillar shape and roundel is one of the worst things you can do to a coupe. Looks like a Jensen Interceptor to me.

Oh, I dunno. I will agree that the car that Oranger posted looks kind of doofey, but I think that car's chrome wheel arch liners, the too-high ride height, and aftermarket wheels all conspire to make that car look awkward. A cabriolet without those doo-dads might look alright.

I will agree that the roof structure is one of the best features of an e9, and chopping it off detracts from the styling. But, that isn't to say that an open e9 couldn't look OK.

Erik

Site Donor
Reaction score
The final result likely depends on who does the conversion. These guys seem to have done it more than once. They do look nice.

http://www.brove.nl/restauratie.htm

And then there was the guy who did the targa/cabrio/coupe thing awhile back....wherever that went to.

Original with a roof still looks pretty good.

abe3.0CSi

Reaction score
The roof with a roundel is a simple solution. Like the MB280SL, just make a hardtop to go along with it and you have the best of both worlds!
abe

E9Wayne

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
I'll stick with the hardtop

To each his own...the greenhouse is one of the prettiest things on the E9, perhaps the prettiest of any car made that I can think of. Plus, I'd worry about structural rigidity, not that there was that much of it there to begin with.

chicane

Reaction score
While we are on this topic, did the factory ever produce any coupes with OEM vinyl tops?

DJSimca

Reaction score
http://www.brove.nl/

The shop from the above link used to offer a professional E9 convertible conversion, they were quite renowned for it. There is one in the picture on the home page.

Yeah I have seen Henk Speek's conversion --- wonder if it any good however and not only Brove's, has anyone here ever driven an E9 convertible?

If so please tell us that it doesn't flex like a piece of spaghetti cooked 'al dente' ;-)

Last edited:

Bill Riblett

(deceased)
Reaction score
While we are on this topic, did the factory ever produce any coupes with OEM vinyl tops?
As best as I can tell, BMW did not. Someone in England seems to have done some. Maybe they were inspired by the Jaguar XJ6/12 coupes.

Personally, I don't think vinyl roofs improve either car.

Erik

Site Donor
Reaction score
Nice collection of cabrio shots. Some obviously look better than others. I can't say that I've seen the shot of the 2000cs cabrio before...

The write up on the stainless steel bodied coupes is interesting too. I wonder if the third car is still out there?

jranmann

Banned
Reaction score
...well, not really, only in my dreams. People do crazy things..I wonder if anyone out there converted an E9 into a convertible just like a Mercedes 280SE3.5 of the same era. It sure would have looked nice...but probably needed alot more body reinforcement to the already feeble little body of the E9...all cabs need structural reinforcements. Just picture it in your mind....what a great addition to the BMW line up of that time.
abe

Found this in a fortune cookie tonight at the local Chinese but since my name is Randy one could speculate message was meant for Abe?

"Abe...good news, your dreams are going to come true sooner than you may realize ... "

Could happen? if that intrigues you abe do PM me and I can pass along my current research regardig using my 2800 donor as the basis for an e9 cabrio that will include soft top and hard top...

Orangener: Your upgraded e9 Cabrio post just keeps getting better and better...how do you do it?

Cheers!

Ran