e9 clutch issues

taylorcom

Reaction score
Hi all, After letting it sit for several months, I fired up my '72 3.0 CS and started out for drive when I noticed the clutch pedal was getting lower and lower and then gradually stopped working. My drive became a short trip around the block and I got home safely, but without a working clutch.

I checked the usual suspects and found the brake/clutch reservoir full and the bolt holding the clutch pedal in place. The current clutch was installed in 1990 but had been working fine until today. It worked normally as I backed out of the garage and started my drive, but then the pedal got lower and lower to the floor.

Could the problem be a failed clutch cylinder? Or am I due for a tow to the shop for a new clutch?

All advice is much appreciated.

Clutch master or slave is likely due for replacement.

so inexpensive- do them both and you are good for ten years.

And replace the clutch hydraulic line (Carl Nelson.) No one else has them except W&N ($$ with shipping.) AMHIK.

Thanks, guys. It felt like a fast leak in the hydraulics, but the fluid level in the reservoir looks fine (still above the outflow tube).

Bill, does the the clutch hydraulic line look like a brake line (flexible rubber hose)?

Last edited:
Thanks, guys. It felt like a fast leak in the hydraulics, but the fluid level in the reservoir looks fine (still above the outflow tube).

Bill, does the the clutch hydraulic line look like a brake line (flexible rubber hose)?
Yes, but my ‘74 has 10mm male fittings on both ends ( other years may be different.)

Yes, that is affordable, thanks. Ebay also has them.

What do you mean by "the later setup?" My coupe is a euro model, if that makes a difference.
Further to Scott's comment - if you have the stock 72 4 speed and clutch assembly, this particular clutch slave cylinder is not the one you need.

Yes, I do have the stock 72 4 speed and clutch assembly, so the slave cylinder from Rockauto won't work for me?

That raises the question: How can I tell the difference, since Rockauto says it fits the '72 3.0 CS? The same part (Sachs Clutch Slave Cylinder P N Sh6010) is also listed on eBay for the '72 3.0 CS.

Well, first of all, we know these cars better than does Rock Auto. I always look up parts numbers elsewhere as a double check on what they show.

Second, you should learn to use RealOEM. You need to look up your car by production date - not by VIN. Its a long story, but the short version is when auto manufacturers changed to 17 digit VINs, they failed to ensure that previously issued VINs were not duplicated. Thus, by way of example, if I put my VIN into RealOEM - or if I give my VIN to a BMW dealer, which only has 17 digit VIN information in their database - it will point to a 1983 Euro 323i.

So, obtain the production date for your car, go to RealOEM under classic cars, select 2.5CS - 3.0 CSL, select 3.0 CS, then Euro, and then enter your production month, and then select manual for the transmission. If you car was manufactured in April, 1972, you would then find this for the clutch slave.

Note that the slave that matches the Rock Auto part does not show a part number. That is because this slave was not installed in your car.

How can I tell the difference
They are very different looking so just look at what is on your car now. The old style cylindrical external one is expensive, I recommend rebuilding it. The newer style internal ones are dirt cheap from many sources but I buy ATE or similar german ones. The clutch master can also be rebuilt or new ones with slightly different hose output location can be sourced, possibly may need a new hose to fit.

They are very different looking so just look at what is on your car now. The old style cylindrical external one is expensive, I recommend rebuilding it. The newer style internal ones are dirt cheap from many sources but I buy ATE or similar german ones. The clutch master can also be rebuilt or new ones with slightly different hose output location can be sourced, possibly may need a new hose to fit.
Thanks. I do need to jack the car up and take a look. I'm guessing the slave cylinder is visible near the transmission?

Well, first of all, we know these cars better than does Rock Auto. I always look up parts numbers elsewhere as a double check on what they show.

Second, you should learn to use RealOEM. You need to look up your car by production date - not by VIN. Its a long story, but the short version is when auto manufacturers changed to 17 digit VINs, they failed to ensure that previously issued VINs were not duplicated. Thus, by way of example, if I put my VIN into RealOEM - or if I give my VIN to a BMW dealer, which only has 17 digit VIN information in their database - it will point to a 1983 Euro 323i.

So, obtain the production date for your car, go to RealOEM under classic cars, select 2.5CS - 3.0 CSL, select 3.0 CS, then Euro, and then enter your production month, and then select manual for the transmission. If you car was manufactured in April, 1972, you would then find this for the clutch slave.

Note that the slave that matches the Rock Auto part does not show a part number. That is because this slave was not installed in your car.
And of course the prices shown in Realoem.com have no relation to reality.

Early slave cylinders are 10x price of late cylinders and often a real PITA to replace.
$350.00 for BMW brand, 250.00 for ATE brand, €200.00 from Walloth and 140.00 from eBay.

New style bolts on. Old style is held in place with a circlip, IIRC.

Back