E9 - Color placement - what color goes where?

HB Chris

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
I would also - taking opportunity - like to convince @HB Chris plastic nuts used to mount headlight covers were not only white. :D

View attachment 132514

I have also seen black knobs on BMW materials/pictures. Do not have them in front of me to put them here but let's keep this picture as a teaser. ;-)
I will need more convincing! :cool:

Krzysztof

Site Donor
Reaction score
The inside is also black?
Do you mean the inside of the air filter?

If that you are asking for I would need to check but it might take some time as the car is "sleeping" far away from me.

I will keep that in mind

Of course you can remove that message or it will be self-damage in 10...9...8...7.. ;-)

paul cain

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Update to the E9 - color placement - new section

Chris Macha was kind enough to forwarded this fine list of color codes used on the E9.

I can’t control myself. Taking this to a new level for E9 geekdom…...

I want to expand this list to include a new section and I need some help: Undercarriage. Specifically the torque stripes and inspection verification paint brush strokes that were originally used in the quality control process during manufacture.

There are many paint codes downstairs on the E9 undercarriage and I want to get this right. Not only for this fine community but for future concours criteria in judging –knowing what is factually correct, with images and where possible, with specific model data. Thanks for any contributions you can add.

Here is my first two submissions; Patricia Mayer’s 74 US 3.0 Coupe, known to be totally original. We had the chassis thoroughly cleaned and it brought up some very good evidence. As follows: Front Springs blue and red paint stripe top to bottom and Rear Springs White stripe top to bottom

74 rear differential three colors identified.

Mystery springs, front of an E9 Blue with White stripes. Anyone recognize this color code?

White line paint at the bottom of each strut adjacent to the caliper mounting boss.

Attachments

• 74 US E9 Front.jpg
    74 US E9 Front.jpg
    403.9 KB · Views: 136
  • 74 US E9 Rear.jpg
    74 US E9 Rear.jpg
    246.4 KB · Views: 141
  • 74 diff threaded flanges.jpg
    74 diff threaded flanges.jpg
    336 KB · Views: 138
  • 74 diff with threaded flanges.jpg
    74 diff with threaded flanges.jpg
    548.4 KB · Views: 134
  • E9 Mystery original please identify.jpg
    E9 Mystery original please identify.jpg
    451.7 KB · Views: 149
  • Paint Colours xls E9 Forum Dec. 27th 2021.xlsx
    13.6 KB · Views: 122
  • IMG_9307.jpg
    IMG_9307.jpg
    297.5 KB · Views: 128
Last edited:

HB Chris

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
The spring colors are detailed in the factory manual, there were typically three stiffnesses listed.

Coupe front: 1 x Blue, was yellow or brown, e3 2 x Blue
Heavy Duty: e3 only, 2 x Blue was 2 x Violet with extra spring force Red 820-840lbs, White 842-864lbs, Green 864-886lbs

Rear Coupe: Red, White and Green

Last edited:

rsporsche

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Update to the E9 - color placement - new section

Chris Macha was kind enough to forwarded this fine list of color codes used on the E9.

I can’t control myself. Taking this to a new level for E9 geekdom…...

I want to expand this list to include a new section and I need some help: Undercarriage. Specifically the torque stripes and inspection verification paint brush strokes that were originally used in the quality control process during manufacture.

There are many paint codes downstairs on the E9 undercarriage and I want to get this right. Not only for this fine community but for future concours criteria in judging –knowing what is factually correct, with images and where possible, with specific model data. Thanks for any contributions you can add.

Here is my first two submissions; Patricia Mayer’s 74 US 3.0 Coupe, known to be totally original. We had the chassis thoroughly cleaned and it brought up some very good evidence. As follows: Front Springs blue and red paint stripe top to bottom and Rear Springs White stripe top to bottom

74 rear differential three colors identified.

Mystery springs, front of an E9 Blue with White stripes. Anyone recognize this color code?
i think having this information is invaluable for anybody that wants to create the ultra original coupe. should be documented on the forum ... i think an 'undercarriage' section is much needed. lots of pictures and descriptions. now matching the correct red, white, green, blue and violet ... that would be cool. of course, i do not have original springs on my coupe ... and never will. but that's just me

paul cain

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
The spring colors are detailed in the factory manual, there were typically three stiffnesses listed.

Coupe front: 1 x Blue, was yellow or brown, e3 2 x Blue
Heavy Duty: e3 only, 2 x Blue was 2 x Violet with extra spring force Red 820-840lbs, White 842-864lbs, Green 864-886lbs

Rear Coupe: Red, White and Green
Chris,
Do you have any record of a front spring that is blue with white, as per the earlier photo? This spring was off an E9.
Thanks,
Paul

HB Chris

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
I think we can infer that the white stripe means it is the middle stiffness between Red and Green, the book does not elaborate. If a replacement spring has no stripes I wouldn’t add them as it could now be the wrong stiffness.

eriknetherlands

Site Donor
Reaction score
One additional thing I noticed on my, and some other coupes: the edge under the front window, on the inside, is painted matt black. Quite course, with rough brush strokes.
Not sure why, but i think portions must be visible under a certain angle, so to hide the body color showing through.
also the chrome trim strip and it's screws are partly painted; this is most noticeable where the gauge cluster is mounted, as there is no black paint.

Inked20200529_204438_LI.jpg
Inked20200621_002413_LI.jpg
20200529_203208.jpg

Alan's car also shows black paint drips in the right upper quarter of the image:
1646822668530.png

from the dashboard removal thread: see the black paint on the upper half of the chrome rail on top of the wood part
(thread: https://e9coupe.com/forum/threads/dash-removal.39440/)
1646822791806.png
1646822929606.png

From a kleinanzeigen add (very nice one, as with original date stamp!) :

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220422-101306_eBay Kleinanzeigen.jpg
    Screenshot_20220422-101306_eBay Kleinanzeigen.jpg
    164.4 KB · Views: 92
  • Screenshot_20220422-101334_eBay Kleinanzeigen.jpg
    Screenshot_20220422-101334_eBay Kleinanzeigen.jpg
    127.6 KB · Views: 92
  • Screenshot_20220422-101348_eBay Kleinanzeigen.jpg
    Screenshot_20220422-101348_eBay Kleinanzeigen.jpg
    288.8 KB · Views: 98
  • Screenshot_20220422-101331_eBay Kleinanzeigen.jpg
    Screenshot_20220422-101331_eBay Kleinanzeigen.jpg
    127.6 KB · Views: 84
Last edited:

HB Chris

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
My Chamonix appears original with the same grey undercoat as the entire underside. There is some white overspray under the valance from a respray years ago. Paul’s 84 is the same I believe.

Christopher

Site Donor
Reaction score
Thanks Chris - is there a consensus about the front panel (behind the headlamp grilles) ?

HB Chris

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Thanks Chris - is there a consensus about the front panel (behind the headlamp grilles) ?
I would paint that area body color unless the body is very light and in that case use flat black. I intend to paint the area behind the valance below the radiator Chamonix as you can see it through the slots in the valance and mine looks original. My Malaga coupe was body color but it had been repainted decades ago.