E9 dashboard clock not running

wouter

Reaction score
Hi,

The clock in my E9 does not run anymore. I took it out, it seems that it cannot be opened for inspection at all. Anyone any experience with these VDO clocks ?

Thanks !

corsachili

Reaction score
Palo Alto Speedo

Hollywood Speedo

Doubtful you can repair it yourself. Best bet is to have one of the above install a modern quartz movement in to your clock but it won't be cheap.

Expect to pay around $300 for it.

gazzol

Reaction score
No experience with the clock but if you want to open it up I think it is possible if you remove the glass first but be careful.
What you have to do is this, with the glass side facing down and the clock resting on something that wont hurt if you slip, take a very thin flat screwdriver and force it under the bezel (it folds round fron the front).
Once you've forced it under twist it like you would undo or tighten a screw but not too much, keep working your way round (about half way is normally enough)till you've made is slack enough to pull the chrome bezel off the glass will now fall out. I've done this in the past to let out moisture when the guages have misted up.

Let me know how you get on but don't blame me if you brake it :D

velocewest

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
The most common failure is the little solder fuse that connects power to the winding mechanism. I think there may be a FAQ on this on the CSR website, or possibly the SSR website. Regardless, it's pretty easy fix, definitely in the "why not try it before you pay someone else" category.

*Edit* The FAQ is on the SSR Site -- electro-mechanical clock fix

Arde

Site Donor $
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
I recall opening the clock by removing a couple of screws. The most common issues are electrical and easy to fix, either the solder/printed circuit board problem, or the solenoid contact point getting dirty.

Shawn

Reaction score
I had mine converted to quartz last year (oct 05). Cost was $195 at Palo Alto Speedometer in Palo Alto, CA. They did a great job, new bezel and glass. And now I do not lose 3 minutes a day.

Shawn

Philip Slate

Reaction score
Shawn said:
I had mine converted to quartz last year (oct 05). Cost was $195 at Palo Alto Speedometer in Palo Alto, CA. They did a great job, new bezel and glass. And now I do not lose 3 minutes a day.

Wow. You only lost three minutes a day? I've lost entire weeks...but then, of course, it was the 60s.

wouter

Reaction score
Thanks for your tips !
It seems Gazzols' tip is most likely ; the clock mechanism is only accessable if it's removed through the front where the glass is, so indeed the bezel must be pried off. I allready tried that but unfortunately, the bezel will damage and break, so I think it's beyond repair...

We'll see.

Arde

Site Donor $
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Hmmm, not trying to disagree, but I removed two screws, then removed the white plastic covering the back of the clock. That exposes the electrical and the clock mechanism. If you give up send it my way and I'll fix it for you.

Reaction score
Do Not remove the Glass!

I just fixed a couple E9 clocks. Do not remove the glass! The clock comes apart from the rear. There is a FAQ on the coupe site and the SSR website.

http://texasconsulate.com/faq/clock.htm

http://www.bmwcsregistry.org/Technical/dash_clock.html

If you are financially inclined have someone else fix it.
If you are mechanically inclined fix it yourself after you have read these two articles and/or talked with someone that actually has done it themselves.

IMHO: It bothers me to see people give advice based upon what they THINK is the right procedure to fix or repair things. If you have not actually done the work yourself you probably should state that before you give advice to another individual.

Thanks
Pete
ssr#137

velocewest

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Pete, I posted the same link and the same advice above. Apparently asking the question does not predispose paying attention to the answer. :roll:

Reaction score
Ruined bezel

If you have already ruined the clock by trying to remove the bezel, I can take it off your hands. Or for a small fee, send it to me and I might be able to fix it.
pete

wouter

Reaction score
Well, I allready was familiair with those links BUT... my clock does not have nuts, but 3 screws and a soldered point which goes into the clock. The casing is made out of one piece, so I can't see another escape route for the mechanism then through the front where the glass sits.
I guess there are two types of clocks. My CS is from '74. Until now, the bezel has only minor cracks , but I'm pretty sure they'll grow larger if I'm going to use some extra force.
I'll keep you informed.

wouter

Reaction score
Pete, I'll be happy to send you a photo, so you can see for yourself.
I know a soldered wire when I see one...

gazzol

Reaction score
[/quote]IMHO: It bothers me to see people give advice based upon what they THINK is the right procedure to fix or repair things. If you have not actually done the work yourself you probably should state that before you give advice to another individual.
IMHO : It bothers me to see people so eager to critisise what others have written when it is quite clear that they haven't actually understood what has been written
I've done this in the past to let out moisture when the guages have misted up.
Please read the above quote, and then read the critisism below

If you have not actually done the work yourself you probably should state that before you give advice to another individual.

Now I apprieciate that you don't know me but, belive me when I say this. I wouldn't say I've done this if I hadn't.

Pete, I posted the same link and the same advice above. Apparently asking the question does not predispose paying attention to the answer.

How rude and arrogant can one person be????

wouter says, and I quote: "It looks like gazzols tip is most likely" and YOU therefore suppose that the bloke is so STUPID that he has come to this conclusion by nothing more than guesswork???????? COULD IT NOT BE that he has had a look at the article in question and the advice posted by yourselves and found that the descriptions do not match, maybe he has tried to undo the three screws on the back of his clock and found that no matter how hard he tried there wasn't actually a cover on the back to be removed!!!

When I posted my advice I belived it to be the correct advice to give. The only clocks that I have ever seen on these cars do not have a cover on the back. Sure they had three screws but all they do is hold the mechanism into the case, to access the mecanism you have to remove the bezel! Now, it would appear that there must be two types of clock (I wasn't aware of this) and that would mean that wouter isn't predisposed to not paying attention and I'm not giving advice based on what I THINK is the right procedure.

Your thoughts on these points are eagerly anticipated and most definatley expected.

Also here is a photo of the back of my clock sorry it a bit fuzzy it was done with my phone. Trust me there is no cover on the back, that is all one piece.

Image013.gif

wouter I'm really sorry you damaged the glass, I think you misunderstood the way you're meant to do it, if you did then its my fault for not making it clearer. You should only attempt to loosen the bezel in the manner that I posted from the back of the clock ie the glass is face down that way the scrediver is only pushing against metal. Sorry pal. [/img]

Honolulu

Reaction score
simmer down, kids

is there a date when Hans und Fritz switched from mechanical clocks to the fully electrical ones?

As rotten luck would have it, I've got the electrical clock, and prying off the bezel doesn't look like much fun.

While on the subject, is there a FAQ for repairing the odometer? Do coupes use plastic odo gears like the later cars (E30, E28) which crumble, or is the coupe odo failure mode slippage of the 1/10 number wheel, like the mechanical speedos in 2002s do? I'm good at the old 2002 speedos.

Reaction score
Follow up

I am very sorry if I offended anyone with my statements in previous posts regarding the clock repair. I have been educated on the fact that there are more than 2 types of clockes in an E9. I was a little to quick to respond without all the information. Sorry again.
Below is my email to Wouter after he sent me the pictures of his actual clock:

Wouter-
Sure enough, your right and I have learned something...again. All the clocks that I have seen have a plastic backing. I would send it into a shop to have it repaired. The specialty shops have the tools to remove the bezels without damage.
Good luck and please let me know how it works out, I am real curious now.
Pete

velocewest

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
How rude and arrogant can one person be????

While I can be substantially ruder and more arrogant than that, I will apologize. I have rhino-thick skin and will readily admit to having less than optimal patience, so sometimes I find fault where it might not be warranted, and I forget that not everyone disregards criticism like I do.

That said, I never suggested nor assumed Wouter was stupid. I just assumed he had not reviewed the link. I know the old line about assuming... but since I'm all ready an ass, where's the risk? :p