E9 engine upgrade and rebuild

Peter Coomaraswamy

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Hi Folks,

I know there are as many questions about engine upgrades as there are options so I thought I would start a thread on the engine sourcing, rebuilding, parts sourcing, options and final assembly and installation as well as revisiting some things I could have done better the first time around with the blue coupe. I'm getting permissions from the people I want to reference before posting some things but I thought this may be of interest to the group.

Where applicable and practical I will include pricing and sourcing information and I'll be including some historic shots from when I first got the car.

Here goes another novel :)

eating-popcorn-smiley-emoticon-1.gif

Very cool!

I've been absorbing as much as I can about the e9 over the past year. I have a cursory knowledge of the M30, such as what engine came in what cars, hp, bore, stroke, compression etc. I know about the different piston options, and which came in which cars/motors, and a bit about the different fuel systems. With that said, I have zero wrench time on an M30. I've also never touched the bottom end internals on any four stroke engine. I don't plan to touch the bottom end of my 2.8 but I will have a CSI block to play with (code for sit and collect dust). I look forward to learning more! Thank you sir!

OK, I'm going to take you through a little history- Sorry; Steve, this is like watching the credits so I drove by this car with a for sale sign on it for 9K, did some bargaining but not much, maybe 600.00, and drove it onto my trailer and took her home. This is what she looked like when I got her to my old shop/garage/kitchen;
just%20got%20her%20home_zpsqlnnh84e.jpg

I blame everything else that happened on you ALL because I was not a member when I bought the car and had not worked on a BMW in 25 years and I read the horror stories about the rust and so my driving restoration turned into a complete tear down to see if I was buffing a turd or if I could continue... so off to the blasters;
naked%20and%20no%20make%20up_zps8na6xgjk.jpg

Then I started reading about Carl Nelson and the 5-speed swap! What was I thinking- really, I had no clue what I was doing but Carl's words, and I quote "Now that you have your beautiful machine in a million pieces, most of which you never thought you would see out of the vehicle, take a good rest. Let your nerves recover. It will be a BMW again." kept me in the game. I found the right transmission and Ben and Carl became household names.
IMAG0127_zpse0lisitm.jpg

I really will get to the engine part- this is just a "preface"

I'm back, OK, so there are so many things to address and the engine was running smoothly when I bought her so I decided to do that last, probably one of my better decisions, you can see from the next photo that even the subframe was a little bent, which I noticed when I matched up the bushings. At least the engine was not in yet...better call Ben, true to La Jolla's Green Acres/Mr. Haney attitude, they just happened to have one on the shelf that they could let me have for say????
front%20sub%20frame1_zpsdhryzo0i.jpg

Now that's better
IMAG0197_zpspyiqjhru.jpg

The only real benefit that I can see to putting the engine in from the top is that you can hook up the steering stuff first as it's a little tight with the engine in there.
finished%20front%20end_zpsarvcarpy.jpg

Just as a note, after the engine is out you can address all the little seams where rust or corrosion may still lurk. Even with blasting it's good to be safe.
rust%20prep70_zps9jslwezf.jpg

You can also take time to paint the engine bay- I'm going to veer off a little and mention that if you do all this prep work and paint when the engine is out then if you decide to get the car professionally painted you will save lots of money because painters do like to drive the cars from one area to the next rather than push them around- this can shave lots of time off the paint job if the shop does high volume. Also they can concentrate on the parts you'll see. Painting the trunk and engine compartment and underside is pretty easy even for a first-timer and the paint and equipment will set you back about 3-400 bucks.
wiring_zpsrr2pfupd.jpg

OK, here we go, (again) what you're looking at here is a pretty stock 1974 3.0L. inline 6. Known as the "big six" and pretty much the same as all the sixes throughout the standard e9 years. Yes there are variations, but from 1969-74 the blocks are pretty much the same. Please I'm no expert so feel free to correct me.
dirty%20engine7_zpswsow4cqj.jpg

You'll notice the smog equipment below the forward manifold and on this next picture you will see a circle on the head. That will have a 2 digit date inside the circle and this is a very easy way to tell if the head has been replaced, if your car is a 1974 and the circle reads 81 then the head has been replaced and unless the block is nice and shiny and the car is loaded with performance parts, the bottom end is probably untouched. Freeze plugs are a good indicator (not always) that the engine has been removed/replaced/upgraded possibly or rebuilt; of course someone like me may have just replaced them as a maintenance item.
It's the circle closest to the thermostat housing next to the intake manifold stud.
dirty%20engine_zpsqmmtqgph.jpg

So, when refreshing your existing engine there are lots of things you can/should do; first thing besides a thorough visual inspection is to pull out the plugs and line them up in order and check their condition. Plug condition is more an indicator of what the engine is doing rather than it's condition although there are things that can point you in certain directions but your next test of course is compression and this can tell you allot. I think the average stock e9 engine with inoperative smog equipment dismantled would probably yield about 125-165 hp on a dyno (depending on overall condition) since that is measuring hp at the rear wheels and not the flywheel where many factory specs are taken (please correct me if I'm wrong here). I think our cars can handle about 185 hp at the rear wheels before we need to worry about reinforcements to the shell or suspension. From all the things I have learned here from the folks and from the many times I have had to redo what I just did there is one constant; every time you change something there seems to be a consequence we were not necessarily expecting so wheel and tire size, final drive ratio changes, transmission swaps, fuel systems etc all have effects on weight, handling, comfort, safety, speed and power.

If you are going to reuse your existing engine and the numbers fall within reasonable specifications then you need to flush, clean and reseal everything. I would not remove the head unless numbers dictate, but all the failure prone parts such as the water pump and gaskets all around as well as fuel lines and vacuum hoses, clutch, PP bla bla bla need to be changed, resurfaced etc.

engine4_zpsbmdd1nuk.jpg

NOW THE FUN STARTS; Forget the money, it's the time. This is when you need to make the critical decision of whether or not to upgrade the engine. Because I spent thousands of dollars and many hours putting my stock engine back together only to find that the modifications I did to the wheels/tires, transmission, exhaust, suspension ETC! rendered my poor car basically gutless. She's a great ride to be sure, finally got the handling solid, will travel 90+ MPH safely, confidently and comfortably on the highway but the truth is the mom in the KIA is quicker off the line even when I wind her up to 4500 rpm in each gear. The car needs something more.
I hate to part with my shiny sloth.
water%20pump_zpsgvtviitt.jpg

I had my hand on my wallet at least 4 times in the last year and with each desperate call to SF Don I was told that's not what you want, "look, you need a 3.5 out of a Euro 735i between the years 78 and 83, has to be silver, driven mostly up hill, kept at a drinking temperature of 68.7 degrees, has a motronic computer with a Ford Mustang injector set up, oh, and the previous driver had to be blonde, less than 34 years old, less than 115 lbs and it's ok if she had implants.... OK, did you get that Pete, now you know what you're looking for, call me when you have one and I'll get you all set up."... Ah, oHkay

So, I'm scanning through craigslist local and come across a 1981 653 csi Euro for 1500.00. I call Don, he says that may be what I want and that if it has the 5 speed trans and the LSD I can probably sell everything I don't want and pay for the car. A word of warning, parting out a car takes ALLOT of time, luckily the grower, I mean seller offered to completely dismantle the car bolt by bolt for 400.00 if he could use my shop. Well, the numbers on the car/title/engine matched, compression was good and I'm now the proud owner of this car. I take more pictures of the engine and Don says that's a good engine, "the intake and computer system are junk, head is crap, rebuild the engine and I'll get you what you need, buy a Shrik or Shreck? cam, send it to me, I'll fix you up". Don is awesome, got me in touch with some guy in Germany, I shipped Don the cam, he found the "right head", I mean there is allot of crap going on between Germany and San Francisco and I still have this engine that I'm not exactly sure what I'm doing with?

I'm not that lame and as my Sainted math teacher Sister John Bosco once told me "it's not important to know the answer, it's important to know how to find the answer" I started calling around. My go to Porsche guy told me of one machine shop that would do the block but I had to wait 4 months to bring it in to them, Terry Sayther gave me a contact 125 miles away, Jerry Janke Engines who took the engine immediately but I think it will still be a couple weeks before it's assembled and I dropped it off 7 weeks ago, but, I know they'll do the job correctly.

It seems that the main differentiating factor in these engines is the bore and stroke, as well as displacement. The earlier 3.5 blocks have a larger bore and a shorter stroke giving them the handle "square blocks" (again this is from what I think I understand) so when hunting for a new, bigger block this is basically what we're looking for unless we go with an M engine but from what I understand I will never understand all that. But, there are other advantages to using the older engines in that motor mounts do not have to be changed or fabricated and there are more options when it comes to the distributor set up.

Because I'm pretty simple I am going to get the information from my block and try to list what models and years these came in and if there is any sequential engine numbers that will make them easier to identify. I received my fancy intake from Don yesterday but have yet to unpack it. When I do I will photograph all and try to make some sense out of why we're doing the build this way and how to take the guess work out of some of this.

In my opinion, the auto-to-5-speed swap is like changing a spark plug compared to this project. I hope I can provide some useful information.

Hey Peter -- I presume the head you sought and found was from an m30b35 with the big valves, correct?

Hi, nice work! What about the aluminium parts, do you sanded and anodized? or just sanded?
How will you protect them?

The head is ported/polished m30b34
Compression is everything...

>Hi, nice work! What about the aluminium parts, do you sanded and anodized? or just sanded?
>How will you protect them?

I tried to get some of my aluminum engine parts yellow chromated. The plater said that there was too much silicon in the aluminum and that his chemicals would not work.

>Hi, nice work! What about the aluminium parts, do you sanded and anodized? or just sanded?
>How will you protect them?

I tried to get some of my aluminum engine parts yellow chromated. The plater said that there was too much silicon in the aluminum and that his chemicals would not work.

A local mechanic who also happens to be a BMW nut recommended this stuff: http://search.eastwood.com/search?w=Silver+Cad+Aerosol+12+oz It looked pretty good on his engine. I've ordered some, but haven't used it yet.

Back