E9 engine upgrade and rebuild

OK, I finally got that 320is put back together, just waiting on the duplicate title so I can register her in my name, so now it's on to the new engine. I have for your viewing pleasure the intake that Mr. SFDon sent me, Don has the head and I have the block being finished up this week (I hope). I will have all the parts laid out at some point but for now it's a bit like LEGO's Gone wild!
new%20enginebuild1_zpsw7tqapuq.jpg

Hi Koldo, I Had the valve cover and other parts powder coated in some kind of silver, Don is responsible for the fine work above. I hope I can get this beast to run as good as she'll look!

I started breaking out some of the pieces in anticipation for the block and head.
I have an oil cooler for the engine and a reservoir for the LSD if I ever find the correct one and the front covers may or may not be useless as if the previous head was milled and the front covers milled accordingly then the probably will not match up to the new head- although if the covers are too big I can mill them to specs. (just some little things to look out for. Since I expect the head to arrive assembled (possibly with a passenger from SF), and the block will be on hand the parts that I'm missing are the injectors/rail/etc, the ECU, the fuel pump set up although I have a few- not sure what Don will recommend- and the crank/timing gears, Oil pump, various chains and tensioners and I'm sure there is allot more BUT: I will start to document; the intake came from Don and I think he can tell us what the standard is for this set up (please) ie. what kind of car/years/engine did it come off and how can we identify it positively, also any intakes that look similar but will not work.

So far, I have the block (which I'll try to categorize when I get it back)
The Intake,
The Valve cover off the original engine, some have the oil fill in the front and some in the back- hope this one fits but probably won't.
Front covers -as mentioned above
Various pulleys and brackets, these you should keep from the donor and the recipient block to see what matches up best
I have an aluminum radiator and all the stuff from the old engine set up

I promise to go through in more detail after the Monterrey festivities- Thanks for watching and hope to see allot of y'all on the left coast!

Last edited:
If using the standard b35 style air cleaner you will want the rear filler, there are several versions. Looks like you have the correct one without the added studs and flat spots, I think e12. Some covers are thicker and will need longer mounting studs.

Hey Peter - which oil filter housing are you using? I have the drill bit and tap necessary to install a VDO oil temp sensor into the housing if you can use it. I have the sensor installed, but don't yet have the gauge installed. I am told this is a better location than the drain plug.

Chris, I'm using the housing with the oil cooler set up from the Euro 635csi

On another note, I spoke to the engine builder today and he said he's having trouble finding the right pistons .020 overbore. Thoughts anyone?

Just get some made. I recommend Wiseco. Both of my motors have new pistons. Just get the specs and send them an example of the old one.

I spoke to the machine shop today, they are sending me a piston and the specs, from there I will have some made. Drew, the machine shop was familiar with Wiseco so that is likely the route I will go- I think Don mentioned the same company when we spoke in CA last week but I'll double check with him since anything I do down here has to fit under the head he's doing up there.

Just be sure you let your forged Pistons warm up as they slap when cold.

The newer forged piston technology has improved quite a bit. My pistons are forged and don't slap. The manufacturers of street pistons are using a higher silicone content which helps eliminate expansion.

Hey Peter -- I seem to recall that Mario had one of these engines last year when I was up there, and that he had trouble sourcing pistons. If my recollection is correct (and you are rolling the dice given the number of brain cells I killed off in California), it might be worth calling Mario and asking him about this. If he found a supplier and provided them with a spec, maybe you could piggyback off what he has already done.

Back