E9 Firewall Insulation

schulattwest

Reaction score
Just got this in. Brand new and original. On special this week for $210. Buyer pays shipping. I take paypal and CC. Email me: benATbimmerdocDOTcom

Attachments

• Firewall Insulation E9 01.jpg
    Firewall Insulation E9 01.jpg
    99.2 KB · Views: 289
  • Firewall Insulation E9 02.jpg
    Firewall Insulation E9 02.jpg
    99.4 KB · Views: 248

Nicad

Site Donor
Reaction score
Isn't that part #51481811933?

If yes, it is an awful lot cheaper at the dealer.

arnie

Reaction score
Bob,

no, this is part #51481810724

and as I know rather rare and not available at the Moment.

Originally coloured in kind of olive-green (kinda yellow somehow, not easy to describe) nowadays, if you find one, it will be black.

Nicad

Site Donor
Reaction score
Bob,

no, this is part #51481810724

and as I know rather rare and not available at the Moment.

Originally coloured in kind of olive-green (kinda yellow somehow, not easy to describe) nowadays, if you find one, it will be black.

Thanks for the clarification Ingo . Is the difference in the parts mentioned just colour? That one looks like mine. (1971)

Simufly

Reaction score
insulation.

do you mean something like this?

Attachments

• P1000630.jpg
    P1000630.jpg
    86 KB · Views: 219
  • P1000629.jpg
    P1000629.jpg
    84.2 KB · Views: 236

arnie

Reaction score
do you mean something like this

more or less exactly ! :razz: (btw. Simufly, is it for sale ?)

Allthough, I bought original ones decades ago, which were more olive-green than grey (like it looks in your picture).

Bob, I never saw a original late produced (repros) BMW - Piece, but heard about the colour change. A material change also would be a good thing, because the original ones didn't stand the heat from the engine as long as they should imho. If yours is a black one, the original one allready should have been replaced.

cheers

Ingo

Nicad

Site Donor
Reaction score
I'd say mine is a Brown Black, maybe a bit Green in it and in need of replacement.

jvrenaudon

Reaction score
Firewall insulation

As Arnie says, the original insulation material was a yellowy colour - very fragile with age. I still have the original on my car but it could certainly not survive another removal/re-fixing. I'd say £130 is a good price for a replacement.

HB Chris

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
I am confused, isn't 724 the lower piece near the exhaust down pipe that was hard to find and 933 is the long upper piece that has been available and is now black?

schulattwest

Reaction score
From the original lister:

51-48-1-810-724 is the part number for the long firewall insulation piece pictured in my original post. This is the uppermost firewall insulation piece that goes along the front of the wiper tub directly underneath the intermediate hood seal. This is a brand new piece from BMW and will not look exactly like the original one that is yellowy-browny-green like some of you have described. This piece also does not have self-adhesive like the older ones did so it will need to be glued into place. It does still have the metal clips that hang over the wiper tub to help locate it. Dealer list price on this item is about $230 and there are none in the US as these took over 6 weeks to come out of Germany.

I hope I've answered all of your questions.