E9 front window regulator.

The Porsche motors are much faster.
OK, here are the facts. It’s a 1974 e9, so the Porsche motors are identical, as verified by my mechanic. The older e9 regulators are quite different. I think the key to installation is with the rubber stoppers that others have commented on. The reason we went to the Porsche ones is because one of the two e28 regulators that we purchased was bad. On a hunch, my mechanic purchased the Porsche ones to see if they would fit. They were identical. Height, dimensions and gear. I have the e9 shop manual that describes the installation of the window. It’s not very complete on the window installation.

Here are the regulators

Attachments

• IMG_4521.jpeg
    IMG_4521.jpeg
    155.8 KB · Views: 16
BTW, window is not in yet, so there may still be issues. Will post when complete. Headers are in and yet to be joined to stainless exhaust. When that’s done window will be installed. Also, found refurbished clock on eBay. Mine was kaput.

Good eye!
Does look like the "upper" gearbox mounting hole has the locating shoulder on the new motor and not on the old (original?) on left..
Is that same picture of "first" replacement - no difference to 2nd replacement?

Can we clarify if we are taking interchange of the entire unit (regulator and motor) or just the "motor"? I have a Euro so front windows are manual (actually happy about that) but rears are motorized and slow. Would be nice to be able to swap out motors "in-situ" and leave the regulators alone. Also, for general knowledge, what does the Porsche unit cost?

Good eye!
Does look like the "upper" gearbox mounting hole has the locating shoulder on the new motor and not on the old (original?) on left..
Is that same picture of "first" replacement - no difference to 2nd replacement?
The one on the right is the new one. The replacement (e28) is on the left. If you zoom in, the holes are equidistant.

Why are you not using the E28 motor which all the forum members are using?
In an earlier post in the thread, he mentioned that one of the E28 motors he had was a bad unit and his mechanic wanted to check the Porsche unit. If it does turn out to work then it opens up yet another avenue of potential replacement parts!

Thanks Pflyer, this could be very nice discovery.
Anyone, how can E28 or Porsche regulator/motor of same size and dimensions be a more powerful electrical motor?

Back