E9 Projects that came and went

Markos

Site Donor
Reaction score
Hi Folks,

I'm curious about your observations of big e9 projects over the years. The few recent listings in the cars section had me pondering this subject. A lot of the members that pick up major projects already have a few irons in the fire and a plethora of cars and projects. A friend of mine and board member has an e9 project that routinely takes a back seat to his other classic cars. My CSI parts car came from someone who took on a basket case and determined that it wasn't worth the time and money. My project routinely takes a back seat to home projects, but I do intend to persevere. I often wonder (fear) I'll be selling an untouched project with a boat load of parts in a few years.

What have you seen? Do most people make it happen or do most projects get sold off? Any favorites of yours that showed a lot of potential but the owner had to re-prioritize?

steve in reno

Reaction score
We had a forum member from early in the years(late 90"s) named Malc Vie. From Scotland.
Old timers will remember him. Many many posts. Very knowledgeable and willing to share
He had a CSL that he was attempting to restore. He did major amounts of welding work to his "dear old bucket". Had made his own rotisserie. Not sure how far he got in the project.
Haven't traded emails with him in 10+/- years. I did try to connect recently to old email addresses, to no avail.
Last I heard his family situation had changed, new job, etc. Worked in the oil drilling business as I remember.
The project was never completed, and I don't know the whereabouts of the CSL

I just checked the member list and it lists him as new member. Would be great if he were to return.

Ohio Jon

Site Donor
Reaction score
I don't think this is an E9 only issue. Craigslist and EBay a full of unfinished project cars.
My father starting to restore a TR3 that was sold off unfinished because we moved then came a GT6 which was sold to help fund a new business. There were a couple more this happened to until I was old enough to drive and then he started buying new RX7. He had more fun with these since he drove them and only did the fun upgrades.
I too, have sold off unfinished restoration projects that life or racing interrupted.
Projects cars getting finished depend on the person and their wants and needs. Project cars are purchased with a vision of what it once was or can be again. Usually with the line "I can do this for less than a finished car and it will be the way I want it". Unfortunately, the project takes too long or ends up being more expensive then envisioned and than the projects becomes work and the dream fades before completion.
I love working on cars/motorcycles or anything mechanical, but I also love driving them. I have found that if I don't have toy car or bike to enjoy the project gets rushed and the enjoyment of the project is lost. My E9 has been on the back burner this year, with home projects, helping Dad finish his M6 and helping my son autocross. These projects are almost finished and I'm looking forward to installing the S38 in the coupe.
Don't give up on your dream!

dave v. in nc

Site Donor $
Reaction score
If you are doing it yourself, its about passion and grit, and creativity of capital management.
If you are jobbing it out, its about cash-flow and picking the right "guy" for the work.
I am always a little in awe of the guy that can do most all of it himself...I'm good at some things, ignorant of many, and learning a few...
Like the old Jim Croce song.."there never seems to be enough time to do the things you want to do, once you find them..."
Like Jon said, hang in there dreamers...

Bmachine

Site Donor $
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
I was thinking about this very issue and it reminded me of this great Jay Leno's Garage episode.

How inspiring is this? This young guy did this by himself in a two car garage over 8 years... If he can do it...

Malc

Reaction score
Boo!
I am still alive and kicking!
The dear old bucket is slowly (very slowly) progressing!
To be honest I have been through some major life changes, which I will not bore you with so the old bucket has taken abit of a back burner. Too many other projects and trying to make a living. However that said I am trying to get to a point where I might be able to drive it to the LeMan's classic in 2018 (Don't hold your breath)
I hadn't realised it has been so long since I was on the site, I remember it's beginnings very well, some characters out there !
Anyway I am still alive and willing to help those of you who are brave enough to deal with E9's I will update my deatils on this site too, too many defunct email addresses I suspect.
Cheers,
Malc

Peter Coomaraswamy

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
What we have to remember folks is that this is an addiction, an illness- it's not your fault! The e9 seems to be the "heroin", or drug of choice so the lesser substances do come and go, but the e9 always stays in the background gnawing away at us like the proverbial monkey on our backs. Since my e9 came along in 2011 I have been through about 5 other amateur restorations, 2 sold without being completed and one is for sale (my Austin Champ) without being touched and I'm currently close to beginning the second rebuild of the blue e9 coupe. So, there you have it, we call them passions or projects or works of art but in the end it's all madness! This forum is like the reverse of an AA meeting, this is where we go to prolong our misery and make excuses for not getting better- and on that note, I'm looking forward to seeing you folks in Monterrey!

Arde

Site Donor $
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Prove you are the same Malc!

Boo!
To be honest I have been through some major life changes, which I will not bore you with so the old bucket has taken abit of a back burner. Too many other projects and trying to make a living. However that said I am trying to get to a point where I might be able to drive it to the LeMan's classic in 2018 (Don't hold your breath)
I hadn't realised it has been so long since I was on the site, I remember it's beginnings very well, some characters out there !
Anyway I am still alive and willing to help those of you who are brave enough to deal with E9's I will update my deatils on this site too, too many defunct email addresses I suspect.
Cheers,
Malc

OCCoupe

Site Donor
Reaction score
Does anyone ever complete a project?
Malc nice to see you back on the forum. I t would be nicer if you fulfilled your dream of driving it to LeMans Classics!

Peter, I look forward to seeing you guys in Monterey!

bluecoupe30!

Site Donor
Reaction score
Projects... almost like a 4-letter word around my place. Like many here in this support group for car addicts, I have other weaknesses besides the E9. Been a Healey guy since, well, officially 1976 when I bought my current BJ8, since then have acquired a 1954 100/4 as well as a Bug-eyed Sprite. Had grand plans. But always something else in the way. Finally, this year, admitted I must actually retire from work to get to these projects. Gotta do it while I can still bend and fold under these cars and actually get something done! What this site has helped me with is understanding that everything that goes sideways in a resto/rebuild can be overcome. Certainly helps build resolve! :)

mulberryworks

Mr. Fixity
Site Donor
Reaction score
Most of my car projects happened in my youth and in my parents garage. Now I have my own garage and am better equipped than I had ever dreamed.

A hydraulic lift, plasma cutter, TIG welder, bead roller and other metal shaping tools. Best of all, a supportive wife. Of course, I did fix up her Boxster first. It was in need of help when we got it, but it's on the road now and I'm just finishing the maintenance on the daily drivers and will begin the coupe project shortly. AC in the garage would be nice, the forecast for the next week is above 100 each day. Since the space needed to do a restoration expands as things get taken off the car, I'll have to built a little shed in the side yard to hold the parts waiting their turn.

I plan to do all the work myself, though I'll probably find a bay to rent to do the paint since my one car garage isn't really set up for that. I'm thinking that the original engine will be serviceable though I'm planning on a 5 speed upgrade with a rebuilt Getrag I found on eBay. The E9 has a lot of technology that's familiar to me, just like the little air-cooled German cars of my youth.

I'll set up a new thread when I begin work so everyone can follow along. My target is to drive to The Vintage next spring. That will be a tough target to meet, but you gotta start setting goals at some point.

Ian

Malc

Reaction score
Prove you are the same Malc!
Hum tricky Arde..... Well I'm pretty good at welding, does that count? I used to do a "Wednesday Night" project thread when, well Wednesday nights were when I could get in my shed. Think I got up to part 3 all those years ago. I'll have to have a rummage to see if it's still on here, could be time to update that again!
I did the LeMans Classic last year in my 2002tii, that was fun, ran well and managed the 2000mile journey without issue, except getting hit in the rear when it was parked up, broken rear light lens and a small dent, battle scar I guess. Best bit was waiting at the Channel Tunnel and a lovely E9 pulled up along side in the queue. Rather than doing the usual "I have one of those" I just looked over and said "When this 2002 grows up I'll be like that" -raised a smile.
Did hear that Bluemax passed away, shame now he was a fount of E9 knowhow. I have this image of him in his E9 giving Jim Clark and Ayrton Senna a run for their money on some mountain road...

sandhu

Site Donor $
Reaction score
Boo!
Cheers,
Malc
Good to see you back ... I thght you sold your E9 Csl ... Glad you still have it!!! On wards and upwards !!!!

Christopher

Site Donor
Reaction score
Good to see you back here Malc - i'd often wondered what had happened to you and your Dear Old Bucket.
Your technical insight and advice were always enlightening. Looking forward to it once again

Arde

Site Donor $
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
As cruel as it sounds if you ever complete DOB then you are not Malc...
Welcome back, I recall Malc also rallied some other British or Italian car.

Hum tricky Arde..... Well I'm pretty good at welding, does that count? ...

dang

Administrator
Site Donor
Reaction score
For me personally, I justify buying another project because the opportunity is there, right then, and will pass if I don't act. Its easy to see the finished product in your head but easier to look past the actual amount of time it takes to complete it. If I dared to list the hours it should take to finish one particular project and look at the time I have each week to work on it, I'll probably need to live to 126 to finish everything!

Malc

Reaction score
As cruel as it sounds if you ever complete DOB then you are not Malc...
Welcome back, I recall Malc also rallied some other British or Italian car.
A Lancia Delta Integrale, hopefully using it on the Rally Hebrides (Charity event) in about three weeks time. Grampian Stages coming up sooner and navigating in an Evo 3.

WISE9UY

Site Donor
Reaction score
Does anyone ever complete a project?
Completion is a tough stance. After completion there will be maintenance and untouched items that WERE good may thereafter require subsequent correction. Completion is also a relative term in my view. For example, this year I "completed" my E12, which I never had the outset of turning into a concourse car. Hopefully I am only a week off from completing my '91 500SL which is now a very solid driver that is show worthy yet not a concourse car. Could it be taken further? Sure. But why when it is a fully serviceable car. I am in a similar boat with my 2800cs. Technically I want to do a ground up restoration and for the past year have been buying all the parts I will need yet can't yet justify the process as it is simply too good a car as it stands. For that reason I want a CS with good bones that will justify my tearing it down to redo because projects that are too good are too tempting to drive and enjoy!