e9 road trip spares

30csl

Site Donor
Reaction score
So I'm hoping to drive to Ireland from the UK next week. What spares would you take?
Fuel pump
Fuses and wire
Fuel hose
Puncture repair
Fan belt
Radweld
Relays? Which ones?
V belt

Any other ideas?

Regards,

Rohan

Tundra

Reaction score
main relay

I would suggest the main relay.
Check your water hoses.
What we call here Duct tape.
About 3 foot (1 meter) electrical wire.

Last edited:

Nicad

Site Donor
Reaction score
There is a stretchable rubber tape that is quite handy and can patch a hose in a pinch.

Sven

Site Donor $
Reaction score
I allow myself one medium sized tool box for spares / tools (beyond the CS tools). It has some wire, wire connectors, crimping tool, a set of metric sockets, some small screwdrivers, duct tape, a couple of hose clamps, hose clamp socket drivers, small metric open end wrenches (7/8 mm), fuses (new and old type), spare head lamp bulbs, heat shrink tubing, soldering iron, allen wrenches, fuel filter, and off course a quart of oil.

I just completed a 4,000 mile trip, and of the the spares I had with me, only needed to use one replacement head light lamp. I did need to do some parking lot brake bleeding once - so needed clear hose and brake fluid (neither of which I had with me).

The tool box makes me feel a little better, but inevitably you will need something you do not have. Best bet, to keep up on all the maintenance and don't let hoses and belts get too old. Also, give the car a good once over before you leave checking for loose bolts / connectors.

Alternatively, pack a bicycle in the boot. The nearest town in Ireland can't be more than 10 miles away.

Have fun,

shanon

Reaction score
Proper Sockets/tools needed to change a belt, and the belt!. 12/13mm?!

Had one disappear on a drive this summer and of course the tool kit and spare was on the garage bench! DOH!

I like to have a gallon of water in the car for people or car just in case.

Have a great trip!

Last edited:

CSteve

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
All of the above. And,A brand new WATER PUMP. The weakest link in a short chain of weak links.

Nicad

Site Donor
Reaction score
Good find Doug. How can you go wrong for $16? Will pick one up next time I visit Lee Valley.

Arde

Site Donor $
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
So I'm hoping to drive to Ireland from the UK next week. What spares would you take?
Fuel pump
Fuses and wire
Fuel hose
Puncture repair
Fan belt
Radweld
Relays? Which ones?
V belt

Any other ideas?

Regards,

Rohan

Any wild animals on the road to Ireland? Maybe a shotgun is in order.

30csl

Site Donor
Reaction score
Water pump is a good one.
Gun check!

Hoping to get rear shock mounts reinforced this weekend as the roads can get bad!

30csl

Site Donor
Reaction score
Well guys, the trip was a great success, did 1100 miles and the car performed really well. She didn't think much of Irish 95 octane fuel but other than that loved it.

As usual after such a long trip there are to do lists that i have noticed - most annoying is a noise up front when you hit a sharp bump but other than that the main annoyance was wind noise!

She did about 25mpg on the slow run to the ferry and then once confidence was up she was kept at about 90 on the wat home so i didnt bother checking the mpg!

Thanks for the help and im glad none of the suggestions were needed.

IMAG0233_zps7367d78a.jpg

IMAG0231_zps0b95ebd7.jpg

IMAG0227_zpsdee3a92d.jpg