e9 seatbelts

rsporsche

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Okay, i realize that front seatbelts in our coupes leave a little to be desired ... but what is the consensus or leading opinions of what is the best? i have a 2800cs that is in need. has anybody found anything from a newer model that works better? how well do the retractable belts from a 74 / 75 work? were there any retractable belts for the rear seats - or always loose?

anybody with any recommendations or good seatbelt items for sale, please PM me.

thanks
scott

HB Chris

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
In the U.S. the 2800CS has fixed belts, 3.0CS has roof mounted fixed shoulder belt, `74 and on had retractables mounted behind rear seat side panels. The 2800 has no provision for a roof mount in front of the ceiling grab handle so you would need to adapt the `74 belts but will need to modify the rear side panel to mount the retractor or mount it on the rear parcel shelf. Someone here has done this and will chime in I am sure. Steve, where are yours mounted?

Stevehose

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
My shoulder belts are the stock ones that fold and tuck into the shelves by the headliner where it looks like they have been since dealer delivery. My rear seat lap belts retract. At some point I would like to do an front seat belt improvement like yours.

Steve, where are yours mounted?

deQuincey

Quousque tandem...?
Site Donor
Reaction score
just kidding !

in my humble opinion there is no way (better to say no need) to improve the seatbelts action in such a car

if i have a crash in my e9, let it be, no seatbelts in this world will make any difference provided the effect of the rest of the intevining elements starting from the body, the seats, anchorages,... etc

my last wish then, would be to be buried in it, and remain there in a proved way of ethernal love

ha, ha, ha :-D:-D:-D

David

Site Donor
Reaction score
I think the set-up on the '74 is best, although not ideal. You can find a NOS set on eBay right now. But I think someone on the boards recently found a source for modern components that can be used, presumably for less money.

rb1971

Reaction score
We are working on this right now. When I redid my headliner, I put a more modern attach bolt on the roof above the door, and with some work it should be possible to use the metal slider attach rod (on the floor behind the seats) from an E30 to produce a somewhat more modern setup. The downside is that this requires some modification to the interior, so if you are going for a completely stock look or otherwise do not want to cut your carpet it won't work.

x_atlas0

Reaction score
Huh. I guess my car was refitted back in Germany. Ever since I got it, the seat belts for the front were retractable and the tensioner/ratchet was located under the rear seat, passing through the rear side panel arm rest. The springs have aged poorly so it doesn't like to retract much anymore, but the belts are there. Seems to be an old Autoflug set, based on the clips. The rear seats just have non-retracting lap belts that look like they came form an early-90s GM car. (has a sunburst pattern on the unclip button, I always saw it on Buicks and Oldsmobiles)

Orangener

Reaction score
These seatbelts are from BMW E39, i installed them in my coupe, with 2 leathered hoods i´ve done by myself........

Maybe a possibility for you?

IMG_0014.jpg

A german colleague (Gerhard, the admin of the german E9-forum) did this installation:

3punktgurthinten.jpg

I can ask him if he has a source...........

I did a quick search on german Ebay and found those:

http://cgi.ebay.de/VW-Bus-T2-T3-Sic...4224?pt=Autoteile_Zubehör&hash=item1e61fd39c0

Last edited:

kwyjibo

Site Donor
Reaction score
SOrry about reviving an old post, I don't stop in too frequently.

Here is my solution the posed question:
P4190019.jpg

A few years ago I saw a photo (Iida CSL?) with a similar Autoflug harness - retractors mounted on the rear package tray, etc. So, when I came across these on the Pelican forum for way less than repros (that didn't even include retractors), I sent an email as fast as I could type.
Also, you can see the Scheels are now properly mounted thanks to Mario at VSR who welded up some adaptors between the original rails and the seat.