E9 STOLEN IN TORONTO

Arde

Site Donor $
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Good points Brett, that is why I am not an investigator and repeat stuff I see on TV :). The inside job theory was mostly about one corrupt person providing info, not the shop being part of it... An I avoided the most sensitive option you hear on TV, suspecting a family member. Hope we hear from the car again.
Oh, the other black hole it could go into would be Putin's land. That is where they took the pre-war BMWs stolen from the Eisenach factory.

jmackro

Reaction score
Other option is a questionable individual making a spur of the moment decision and deciding to steal a car.

I hate to be pessimistic, but a "questionable individual" looking for a car to take on a joyride probably wouldn't be able to handle a manual transmission (I'm assuming the car in question is a stick).
They told them ‘if it’s not found within a few hours it’s gone’

To add an optimistic thought, I wouldn't agree with that statement. My nephew had a car stolen in San Francisco by a joy rider a couple years ago. The joy rider abandoned it in legal space in a residential neighborhood (finding any parking space in SF ain't easy, let alone a non-metered one) and it just sat there for a week or two until someone realized it had been reported stolen. The SF police will take a theft report, but won't do much to locate a missing vehicle - they have bigger problems to solve.

Brett

Reaction score
I’d also like to shout out the YouTube channel Speed Academy. I’ve seen a couple of their videos on YouTube, predominantly a series about an e28 they just did a slight overhaul on. I happened to notice they were based in toronto so decided to send them an email to try to help spread the word to a larger audience. Peter, one of the guys on the channel responded the very next day that he had posted to the channels Instagram. They have nearly 25k followers on there, and the post has already been liked over 300 time. If anyone enjoys watching automotive content on YouTube then do not hesitate to go check out the channel!
Again it’s called Speed Academy.

In contrast, the day after the theft took place I attempted contacting bmw true north. A large bmw enthusiast group that has a big following throughout toronto. I sent them a very similar message I had sent Speed Academy except Bmw true north have not even had the deceny to reply back, even to simply say that they are not able to help. I have messaged them again assuming the possibility they just did not see my first message amidst the swarm of their other personal messages. At this point I had almost resorted to begging, but still nothing in return. I have never had favorable opinions about this group, but after their unwillingness to help the true exemplification of a bmw nut, I now dispise them. Again they are not obligated to help, but a simple 1 sentence response would be nice at least..

Brett

Reaction score
I hate to be pessimistic, but a "questionable individual" looking for a car to take on a joyride probably wouldn't be able to handle a manual transmission (I'm assuming the car in question is a stick).

It is manual and just because they’re questionable does not exclude them from knowing how to drive stick..

To add an optimistic thought, I wouldn't agree with that statement. My nephew had a car stolen in San Francisco by a joy rider a couple years ago. The joy rider abandoned it in legal space in a residential neighborhood (finding any parking space in SF ain't easy, let alone a non-metered one) and it just sat there for a week or two until someone realized it had been reported stolen. The SF police will take a theft report, but won't do much to locate a missing vehicle - they have bigger problems to solve.

That was referring directly to the theft of my parents SUV a decade ago, it was brand new at the time. When the police showed up they told my parents straight up that if it’s not found within the next few hours then it’s gone. They knew that cars were being packed onto shipping containers ASAP once it’s on the container there’s a tiny chance that the container will be inspected, otherwise it’s gone. That is what they’re referring to. You can believe the story or not it’s not really a matter of debate. The car was gone and never seen or heard from again

dang

Administrator
Site Donor
Reaction score
My experience with law enforcement and investigative work has been pretty disappointing. They show up, take a report, ask the typical questions and go away usually never to be heard from again. One time we had video of guys stealing parts from a camera across the street that included their license plate and they said they couldn't see them so there wasn't any reason to take it any further. But, the last two times we did all the work and gave them the info and they arrested people two different times.

In this case, I would personally drive around the neighborhood looking for cameras and ask the owners of they would help. Most hard drives start recording over the video within 5-7 days so you have to act fast. What cars drive by? Did the owner remember seeing a car like that? Etc, etc.

We had some CLS Mercedes parts stolen last month and i tracked them down by calling all the Builder guys I know and putting the word out. The car was at a shop in town getting repaired (with our parts) so I notified the police handling our case and they impounded the car. We'll be getting our parts back soon! :)

Brett

Reaction score
Car is going to be picked up by the owner tomorow. So still unknown as of yet

rsporsche

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
most excellent news ... ought to put the guy in the coupe trunk and drive him around for a while - smelling gas and exhaust ... that would be good for him

teahead

aka "Rob"
Site Donor $
Reaction score
awesome!

More details please! Did they catch the bastards? Any harm to the car? Where/how was it found?

Arde

Site Donor $
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
No details. If the stolen car was DQs we would have pictures of him building a drone out of 1970s parts to fly over the area and catch the thieves. Infrared pictures showing a car inside a garage with dual Solex carbs, and post capture the thieves condemned manually lowering and raising all four windows using their thumbs...

Stan

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
No details. If the stolen car was DQs we would have pictures of him building a drone out of 1970s parts to fly over the area and catch the thieves. Infrared pictures showing a car inside a garage with dual Solex carbs, and post capture the thieves condemned manually lowering and raising all four windows using their thumbs...
The Spanish Inquisition?