E9 updates

KenC

Reaction score
My E9 3.0csi body is off to be rebuilt.

So in the spirit of the original design, given what we now know, what would we the E9 community ask the designers to change?

I’m already planning
5 speed overdrive gearbox
Diff and rear shock mount upgrades
Bilstien B6 all round,
Lokari inner wheel arches

But there must be a host of other things to consider whilst keeping the look stock

Cooling system upgrades?

Power window improvements.

Under seal protection, who’s tried what?

Exhaust systems and headers.

Engine upgrade of the std M30, this is a matching numbers car

Sound deadening, who’s tried what?

What the view on the above, what else could be improved

CSteve

Site Donor $$
Reaction score

So in the spirit of the original design, given what we now know, what would we the E9 community ask the designers to change?

I’m already planning
Bilstien B6 all round,

But there must be a host of other things to consider whilst keeping the look stock

Cooling system upgrades?

Here is what I would recommend: ALL OF THE ABOVE. + Air Conditioning - the next ice age is not in our futures. And like us in the Colony, you Blokes have had some wicked summers with more to come.

Chrome grills and vents. Metal overflow tank, I have stripped the paint off mine. As have a very few others.

Let me think about others. Steve

Dick Steinkamp

Site Donor $
Reaction score
You are in a great position...building the car of your dreams. :cool: I'm jealous!

I might consider storing the numbers matching M30 and 4 speed, and along with replacing the gearbox with a 5 speed, replacing the stock motor with a later M30 (M30B35 or better?). This would give you more power along with relatively modern engine management.

I used to tell myself that "this will be my car for life"...but I stopped fooling myself after the 4 or 5th one ;). I lust after too many cars to limit myself. So I generally end up selling at some point. If the same thing happens to you, you will have the numbers matching engine and trans to include with the sale if it makes the car more valuable to a buyer. In the meantime, you will have a much better driving car for yourself.

Arde

Site Donor $
Site Donor $$
Reaction score

I’m already planning
Bilstien B6 all round,

Cooling system upgrades?

Some feedback based on experience plus hearsay:

1) A rebuilt steering box if you have any play...
2) ST sway bars, there are a few threads on that. Assuming the sway bars are still for sale.
3) Viscosity clutch radiator fan if you still have the friction clutch.
4) Rebuild brake calipers, my brake system was transformed by that plus a few other details.

5) Headers seem to make sense only if you go to 3.5L and higher horsepower engine build. For stock 3.0L the consensus is that they are just eye candy.

Ohmess

I wanna DRIVE!
Site Donor $
Reaction score
To add to the list:

- I know people who have used and like Dynamat, Second Skin and Xmat as a sound deadener.
- For cooling system, I got a Sanden compressor and mount from Bob at IceAuto Air.
- Fit the largest condensor you can install in front of the radiator ( I think mine is 16 x 20?), and swap in a SPAL pusher fan.
- I'm told the original radiator can be "recored" to improve its efficiency while retaining the stock look. Check with a local radiator shop on this.
- Install a smaller fixed magnet starter motor such as the SR440 or SR441
- Add a low beam headlight relay (or did the csi have this?)
- Consider a larger capacity alternator from an e24.
- I added an Alpina knock off front strut brace to stiffen the chassis and help with turn in
- Add the Coupe King door pull reinforcements
- Paul Cain emergency brake upgrade
- Change to stainless steel brake hoses
- When you do the five speed, use the Coupe King mount for the transmission. Best available.
- Coupe King exhaust is nice, but pricey
- Add a heat shield between the exhaust and the drive shaft. I fashioned one from a Z3 part. Cuts the heat into the interior.

rsporsche

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
i am going to step out on a limb and say keep the CSi motor, rebuild and keep it in the car. it already has 20 or so more HP than the CS with higher compression. put a cam in it, and perhaps upgrade the D-jet to megasquirt so you can take advantage of the cam and have a more matched injection to the motor.

in opposition to the dynamat, think about one of the sound deadening paint products, thinner and more importantly lighter. also before you put the tranny in, put insulation in the tranny tunnel to stop heat going into the cabin through the tunnel.

you are in the UK, look at Fritz's Bits for a nice exhaust system, less expensive and can satisfy the RHD ...

craterface

Site Donor
Reaction score
I like the idea of keeping the Csi motor. Also, I feel that e9 mechanicals are so good and rugged at baseline, that I am not a huge fan of upgrades. Sure, if you have a big bumper US model 1974 automatic, then swap out the transmission and ditch the ugly boat anchor bumpers. But a stock Csi is a great machine as is. I have a near stock 2800cs and I love the way it drives. And I don't have AC in it and I live in Florida. I just roll all four windows down and enjoy. Make sure the stock steering box is in good shape, the calipers work properly as noted above, etc.
I would try to get your car's body totally sorted, coat the inner surfaces of rockers and inner fenders with good paint and or truck bedliner (on a rust free surface, which means new inner and outer front fenders for your car I bet), then fill all those cavities with Waxoyl and then do the fender liners. Then you will sleep better at night and enjoy the car on wet days guilt free.
If you want to go really fast, buy an e46 M3 as a backup rather than try to put big hp in your csi.
Scott

rsporsche

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
great advice Scott. the 3.0CSi and the 2800 engine are very free revving with wonderful valve train music ... due to their higher compression than the carb'd 3L ... they just wind up so freely.

HB Chris

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
There are two water pumps, one uses a mount with four small bolts to the pump itself and a single bolt to hold the clutch, known as a ‘bolt on.’ The second has one large nut behind the clutch, 32 mm perhaps, known as a ‘spin on.’ You can use either but they must match, the newest one is perhaps easier to find, the spin on.

Not for an e9 but here is the spin on with the 32mm nut

jmackro

Reaction score
what would we the E9 community ask the designers to change?

Sound deadening

Those two seem contradictory - do you want a quiet car or a fast car?

Most performance exhausts achieve greater efficiency through lower back pressure, resulting in less sound attenuation. Stainless steel exhausts have the benefit of retaining a shiny appearance, but stainless "rings" more than mild steel.

I suppose if you install both a performance exhaust AND more sound deadening, one will counter-balance the other. Your CSI may end up a bit faster, but no more quiet.