E9 with E36 M3 motor

Albert

Reaction score
hey members,

I am no pro but I have a full E36 Donor with everything. I was wondering if anyone has an idea if I could make this work or ever heard of someone making this work?

floridabmx

Reaction score
That blue widebody car that was at sema has an s52 turbo. It kinda looks small in the engine bay. But i dig how the valve cover looks in it. What part of florida are you from Albert?

WALTER

Site Donor
Reaction score
The same gentleman who did Josh Stern’s S54 powered e9 has done an S52 swap into an e9. His name is Jeff Tighe. I spoke to him a long time ago about the S54 swap and he advised against it; basically said it was the wrong motor for the coupe (high rev’ving) . He said that the s52 is a better choice if going that route.

JayWltrs

Site Donor $
Reaction score
Last edited:

Gransin

Site Donor
Reaction score
Will the S52 swap require reinforcement of the unibody to compensate for the added torque? Or will just a strut brace add enough rigidity?

Depends on how safe you want to play it, my coupe had stress cracks in the body running from the diff mount all the way in under the rear seats + the diff mount itself had shattered where the bushing gets bolted, and that's with the original 3.0. With a S52 alone, without turbo, I'd definitely go for the e28 rear subframe and diff paired with some serious reinforcement of the body. Add a turbo and I wouldn't personally want to drive it without a cage (for my own safety), not to mention brakes, steering, suspension, etc that would also have to be upgraded to really get anything out of the turbo setup except for just beeing cool.

With that said, I'd love to have a S52 turbo coupe :D Mostly for the technical challenge to create it, but there's no way to do that legally over here..

Albert

Reaction score
does anyone know much about this setup?

Highlights:
-1972MY
-White/Black Leather
-Glass-out restoration in 1994
-Interior redone in 2004
-Additional mechanical sorting in 2008/2009
-3.0L M30 L
-Jetronic FI Engine
-5-Speed ZF Manual Transmission
-Suspension Upgrades
-Custom Twin-Turbocharger Kit with Pfaff manifold

Gransin

Site Donor
Reaction score
does anyone know much about this setup?
-Custom Twin-Turbocharger Kit with Pfaff manifold

Here you have some photos of the pfaff kit, I don't know much about it but if you search the forum you might find some more info on it.