e9s in 1971 race video

coupe74

Reaction score

acat2002

Reaction score
I watched the entire video last night, very cool! I didn't really care for the 6.3 tribute car, but the video shows more than enough E9 coverage, so its worth watching.

One thing that amazed me in particular was the amount of body roll in those days. The Capris and the CSLs had one front wheel completely off the ground in several corners.

Brian Redman had commented one time on how he would be able to cut a few feet from the inside corners when driving the CSL because the inside tires would be a few inches off the ground anyway, so he wouldn't even feel the curb when he drove over it.

That's what's so cool about vintage racing - totally different driving style.

Erik

Site Donor
Reaction score
Saw that on the BAT site. Great classic footage and interesting to see the capris and coupe without their wings. Nice post Kieth.

The original AMG 300sel looks like formidable competition too.

feri

Reaction score
Hmm.

- This video was uploaded the youtube more that 1 year ago

- It is well known by most of the e9 racing fans

- If i remember correctly it is from a dvd sold in a few copy at ebay a few years ago

- And it is same video that german coupe club sold a few years ago (on vhs)

Excuse me, can anyone tell what is the NEW information in this thread ?

Actually it is sad that at the moment there is NO serious e9 website (not forum, website) which contains ALL (when I write ALL, i really mean ALL) the information about the e9, including the registry data of all the 20000+ cars, all the printed materials including articles and factory/private photos, all the tuner info with all the small bits of information like for example the weight of the Koepchen 3.0 CSL road car engine, all the racing and road car development info, and all the racing video and photo from 1969 - 1982.

And in this situation people are happy when an overplayed video published 5+ years ago, which was uploaded to the youtube more that 1 year ago, is posted to this thread.

I don't get it. Something is not working correctly.

Cabrio330

Reaction score
Hmm.

- If i remember correctly it is from a dvd sold in a few copy at ebay a few years ago

Actually it is sad that at the moment there is NO serious e9 website (not forum, website) which contains ALL (when I write ALL, i really mean ALL) the information about the e9, including the registry data of all the 20000+ cars, all the printed materials including articles and factory/private photos, all the tuner info with all the small bits of information like for example the weight of the Koepchen 3.0 CSL road car engine, all the racing and road car development info, and all the racing video and photo from 1969 - 1982.

And in this situation people are happy when an overplayed video published 5+ years ago, which was uploaded to the youtube more that 1 year ago, is posted to this thread.

Ummmm... wow. So from your perspective, before anyone can ever post anything on this forum they should make sure it has never been discussed here before?

Sorry, I don't get your attitude. Try the other side of the bed tomorrow!

piezopaul

Reaction score
Feri,
Well with all that complaining looks like you've got your work cut out for you. Let me know when YOU have it set up. This information doesn't magicly appear out of space. It takes hard work and dedication to get anything like that going. Have at it!- Paul

duane_sword

Reaction score
Yes I watched the video yesterday after first seeing it through the Bring-A-Trailer posting for the old Mercedes (still looks like a taxi cab to me... but each to their own).

What I noticed from the 1971 video was how many Ford Capris were ahead of the BMWs, and there was even a few quick Alfas and a Citroen SM!

I attended one of the Masters Series in the UK earlier this year, if you get a chance to attend I highly recommend it!... great racing and total access to the pits, cars and garages in the paddock area.

http://www.themastersseries.com/

acat2002

Reaction score
I just wanted to take a moment to recognize greatness and genuflect to the "Yoda" of E9s for pointing out that all members on this board are inferior to 'his highness'.

All hail Feri!

From now on, when anyone on this board has an obscure E9 question they need answered, I think Feri just volunteered to answer it via PM.

Seriously though? what's up with the aggressive attitude? someone had something germane and interesting about E9s to share.

jranmann

Banned
Reaction score
I do believe we need a new 'feri-genuflecting' emoticon (or smilie) for this occasion?

bsflag.gif
cashwallet.gif
bubbrubb.gif

handclap.gif
violinist.gif

mechstuck.gif
beatdeadhorse5.gif

I have noticed the distinct lack of the demonstative icons that populate the other bmw boards...as above
Wonder if it's ok to import them as .gif's here under the image function?

chicane

Reaction score
Hmm.

WOW! did my alter-ego make a new post? :D

I feel your pain but I have to be honest with you I am on here all the time and I never saw this video before. Maybe you can simply provide the two thread links to the moderators and they can combine them.

coupe74

Reaction score
Feri:

If that DVD or videotape of the 1971 race is available in the public domain, and in higher quality than on YouTube, could you please donate a copy to e9coupe.com, or direct us to it hosted online for download? Perhaps it could be posted on our server for download if the file size is not outrageously large?

Do you know of links to other exceptional e9 videos online that you could list in one email for archiving here in this thread? The webmaster might then be able to create and post them to a section on the Links part of this website.

Thank you in advance if you can help.

TodB

Reaction score
Whatever

To Feri,

I came home after a long week and I read your post a couple of times.

Especially on the Internet, its easy to sit on the sideline and complain and point out faults but not do anything about it. It may make you feel good and all high and mighty but I just don't see the point in it. Frankly, its weak and shallow and probably not a good reflection of who you are (or perhaps it is). I refer to folks who behave like this as intellectual cowards.

Everyone is entitled to their own opinion but if you don't have something nice to say here, then please don't bother. We're a friendly and supportive group and pride ourselves on not having the drama which runs rampant on other sites.

If you do not like this site or it does not meet your "standards" in terms of content depth, then don't comment. No one is compelling you to come here. Move along.

You can take my response in a couple of ways.

1. You can ignore it
  2. You can fire off a witty retort telling me I missed your point, that everyone is entitled to their opinion and continue to be a Debby Downer
  3. You could actually become a worthwhile and productive member of this community and provide some of this serious E9 information that you seem to have. I say bring it!
  4. Start your on site
Its your call.

Last edited:

jranmann

Banned
Reaction score
Dalai Lama Stories

....the Dalai Lama is being interviewed and the discussion has moved to the issue of non-violence. His Holiness has been asked if it's ever right to kill. Pantomiming a mosquito landing on his arm, he kindly blows it off. Next, he mimes the mosquito landing again. This time he flicks it off gently. Third time. The mosquito lands again and SMACK! His Holiness the Dalai Lama, Ocean of Wisdom, reincarnation of Avalokitshvara, Buddha of Compassion crushes the little bugger with his free hand! (He just chuckles)

Dalai%20Lama%201.gif

feri

Reaction score
Feri:

If that DVD or videotape of the 1971 race is available in the public domain, and in higher quality than on YouTube, could you please donate a copy to e9coupe.com, or direct us to it hosted online for download? Perhaps it could be posted on our server for download if the file size is not outrageously large?

Do you know of links to other exceptional e9 videos online that you could list in one email for archiving here in this thread? The webmaster might then be able to create and post them to a section on the Links part of this website.

Thank you in advance if you can help.

Hello,

Be carefull about what you will host on the website. These videos usually recorded by individuals and small companies who has copyright of their video.

In my archive I have only found the dvd couple of months ago, but as i don't know the original owner of the video, i don't want to get a nice piece of paper from a lawyer about I have posted an copyrighted video on my website.

About the vhs: it is still available from 02 bmw club germany: http://www.bmw-02-club.de/boutique.htm - see bottom of the page.

There is a nice video collection about the 1974/1975 races on dvd. It was sold about 2 months ago on ebay, and i think it is still for sale. It was produced by a company... but as i have put the dvds into a big cupboard where i keep all the e9 archive with the videos, I haven't looked at the cover since, so i don't remember.

There is another compilation with races, like 4-5 races from the 70's. It is on one of my very old cd. It is sure in the archive, but I haven't found it. I think there are drm races on this dvd...

I think most of you know that bmw has released a smaller video from the 1973 nürburgring race. It is on dvd, as I remember or in betamax casette (have to look it in the cupboard, i am not at home at the moment)

I have seen a video about hmmm i think from 1970's about the kyalmi race with hans's csl. It was posted at autosport forum.

And there are dozens more, blah blah blah.

----

I think it is not a question about how much video is shared. Imho I see the same problem like at the registry: someone will do something, but not sure, no planning, people are waiting the final results from 1 or 2 people, people usually says only sentences like "nice, go on", "looks great" without puting in any hardcore e9 info, etc etc etc.
(And now the current registry is full of SQL injection and XSS problems, etc.)

---

Lets say you upload 4 racing videos to a (non exist) e9 website.

What is the next step ?

How will you get the rest of the 60-80 periodic video ? It might happen that you have to travel ALL the world, and have to seek in the local television archive in chile, south africa or australia, etc.

Just a sample about the hc info : where will you get the periodic tuner information and brochures ?

I am not an expert, just an amateur. How will you make this project interesting to the 50+ e9 / e9 csl expert in the world to push them to put their free time / money / etc to make a website ? Don't you think that if these 50+ experts ever thought that a decent e9 website is needed, then they could make in the past 20+ years ?

Anyone ever will start cordinating the project ?

Am I see the same like at the registry project ? :)

I am sorry to say but I think for these questions there are no "i know, how will i get... " and "yes" answers, because in the past 20+ years since the web/http has started noone or no group of e9 owners have started any "everything about the e9" website. And this will not change.

Anyone remember when some info / picture was posted about the racing e9 engines (M49) like a year ago ? Anyone remember that person that said something like "wow, lets move it to the faq" ? Nice try, but adding 4-5 periodic photo about racing engines to a wiki is only 0,00000001% of a good e9 website.

Anyone see some website creation project since this "lets move to wiki" reply in that topic ? I know that noone will start making anything :)

Lets skip what I wrote in this topic, lets forget the website complains (why no website, blah blah). I wanted to say (and i think noone really understanded it), that we are like 454535345345 lightyears distance from a good e9 website (not forum, website), if most people haven't seen this 5+ years old video posted in the first post, and consider it a "new, never seen video material".

And now back to ontopic e9 discussion.

Last edited:

TodB

Reaction score
Follow up

Lets skip what I wrote in this topic, lets forget the website complains (why no website, blah blah). I wanted to say (and i think noone really understanded it), that we are like 454535345345 lightyears distance from a good e9 website (not forum, website), if most people haven't seen this 5+ years old video posted in the first post, and consider it a "new, never seen video material".

Good for you! Chock up my post to you as the result of a long week.

And now back to ontopic e9 discussion. Amen

dp

Site Donor
Reaction score
1) Feri just sounds like he needs oatmeal in his diet, or to sleep off a hangover -shrug-
2) guys, the capris etc beat the tar outta the coupes in 71, which is why the L s and BAT stuff was developed
3) Anyone else think the MB is just fugly?

Arde

Site Donor $
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Hello,
Be carefull about what you will host on the website. These videos usually recorded by individuals and small companies who has copyright of their video.

Nobody hosted a video on the website, somebody posted a link to an existing youtube video already in the public domain. If these small companies want to throw lawyers at youtube (Google) I won't lose sleep over that.