East Coast Coupe Fest

TodB

Reaction score
Cars and Coffee

...Cars and Coffee-like gathering on Main St. in Hanover.

Not sure how that would work, its pretty tight there ..maybe on the Green or at the Thompson Arena parking lot?

adawil2002

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Hope this works... I have setup an online poll with several events to align a gathering of coupes in the North East in 2012.....

You can vote once... I hope you can see the poll when you click this link...

http://www.zoomerang.com/Survey/Poll/Embed/WEB22EZ53C6ZX2#.T1AJWd_9cBg.facebook

If not... here are the choices I came up with...

Which event would you like to align the North East CoupeFest of 2012 with?
O Around June 2 for the Greenwich CT Concours
O Around July 15 for the Boston MA BMW CCA Concours
O Around August 31 for the Limerock CT Vintage Festival
O Around October 7 for the Portsmouth NH Bavarian Show

Vintage at Saratoga is another one to consider, mid-July, Hosted by the Patroon Chapter of the BMW CCA at the Saratoga Auto Museum, Saratoga, NY. They have a tour and dinner on Friday, show on Saturday and last year a Brunch on Sunday. Set up similarly to Scott Sturdy's The Vintage in N.C.

duane_sword

Reaction score
Vintage at Saratoga sounds great too! A cruise down the Mass Pike from Boston can be fun (as I found with Tod and I returning from Limerock CT last year, thanks Tod!!).

So I am likely to go to all of the events this year as long as I get permission from my wife :).... guys, where is the inaugural Coupe Nor'Easter ???

Democracy or Autocracy?

I will help whomever raises their hand... I have never arranged such a gathering.

If 3 of us North Easterners get together I am sure we can make a rotating annual location to respect those up in Maine (or Toronto & Quebec) to those down towards the 39' latitude mark to have a reasonable drive and respecting schedules etc...

I raise my hand to get this off the ground... Who's with me?...

TodB

Reaction score
NE thoughts

The last NE coupefest was in 2000 or 2001 in Maine at Mt something-beginning-with-A. There were about 4-5 of us there.

It would be nice if we could get dedicated space/corral at Bav Auto during their annual show in October but that one increasingly caters to the younger/speed/neon light/boom box crowd (not that there is anything wrong with that). It would probably depend upon what sort of turn out we could guarantee. There are plenty of coupes near here, they just need to come out and play.

The Hanover, NH area mentioned is another good choice. Waaaay to many good roads up there and I know many of them.

I did get invited to Greenwich again this year, not sure if I'll go, they must be hard up! Stan, if your car is going to be done in time (no pressure Mario), you should apply now to go.

CSteve

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Vintage at Saratoga sounds interesting. It seems like a small event where we would not be overwhelmed by hundreds of cars and all the issues that go with that. My first thought was to keep it small, perhaps even exclusively coupes, 02s and Bavarias. But this is trending towards meeting at a larger established event. And that is fine for me if the event is smaller in scale. Like Saratoga.

Steve

kwyjibo

Site Donor
Reaction score
Saratoga sounds good - but, it looks to be the same weekend as the Boston CCA event that Duane mentioned so we could lose some of the NE coupes to that. I was just out at Saratoga to see the Porsche exhibit at the auto museum and the roads cutting across Vermont were mostly fixed. I encountered just a couple of hard-pack single lane sections. Should be a nice drive over for those of us in more northern NE.

@TodB, for the Main St gathering, the thought was that if we could get even ten cars and their owners to show up on any given Saturday morning, it would be a success. The idea of Main St. is that the "coffee" portion of the equation is easily taken care of with Lou's and other places with coffee/pastries. If, in the highly unlikely event that it is able to outgrow the 30 or so parking spaces there, we'd move it someplace like Centerra (the shopping center up by DHMC). As you know, there aren't too many places where something like this could happen up here without too many problems.

TodB

Reaction score
Lou's

Growing up, Lou's was an institution in Hanover. I went to HS with his daughter.

Depending upon the weekend, I could be there.

CSteve

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
The car museum is having Classic BMWs on the Lawn about July 13 or 14. I plan on attending. Nice coverage of last year's show in the Nov. 2011 Roundel.

Does this sound appealing? Steve

thehackmechanic

Reaction score
Count me in, subject to the real world busting my butt

For most of the past 25 years I'd been horrible about attending events. Then, two years ago, I went to Vintage at the Vineyard, and wondered why the hell I've been acting like a hermit. Last year I went to Vintage at Saratoga and had a ball (though I'm still reassembling he E9's cooling system from the car's near-overheating episode).

I'll try to make any of the dates listed, but my job (field geophysicist) whipsaws me between not having enough work and putting my butt in the field for weeks at a time, so I can't say "yay" to one date versus "nay" to another; I just don't have enough information that far in advance.

--Rob

kwyjibo

Site Donor
Reaction score
I just committed to going

I recently went out to Saratoga Auto Museum and during the trip did some snooping around for the (inevitable) return trip. We checked out some of the hotels that we saw on the internet, etc. So, after that recon visit and some calling around, I think that the Downtown Hampton Inn is one of the few nearby hotels that has secure and covered parking. If any of you are paranoid like me, you might look into it further. btw, I just made reservations for 7/13 and 14. And, rooms are filling up even though opening day for the horses is the following weekend.

JFENG

Site Donor
Reaction score
Can't make it

One wedding and trip to France (Lemans Classic) means I get back to New England on the night of the 14th.

Maybe we can do a fall run so long as it doesn't conflict with GoodWood Revival.

John