Easy question I hope… My passenger electric window stopped working

scottevest

Site Donor
Reaction score
That is normal, push the little lever to 'trip' them then push in to reset. They pop way out when tripped. Swap the switches, it's super easy.

Duh I see the switch is now. They were both fully engage so that is not it. I brought it to my shop in Boise to look at and he thinks it might be the motor and thanks also it might just start start working again. He didn’t have a lot of time to take the consul off. I will have it done in California next month

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

scottevest

Site Donor
Reaction score
So, I brought my coupe to the Boise shop to take a look at. Without removing the center consul and ensuring the switch was connecting, which would take him 30 minutes or so that I didn't have, he thinks it is likely the motor. I have extra motors for the rear windows. Any chance they are the same?
Good news is that now that I changed the fuses, the engine idles properly for the first time in awhile.

Off topic, does anyone know a good car cover option? I found this http://www.bigskycarcovers.com/
Evolution-4 fabric. The price is $220.00 including free shipping and no taxes.

Thoughts?

bill

Site Donor
Reaction score
Does the window work with the driver door open? If yes, one of the window load shed relays (there are two, see HB Chris' excellent post "Relays under the dash" ) doesn't work, IIRC, .......OR the door switch (driver side) isn't grounding. Check that also.

scottevest

Site Donor
Reaction score
@bill will try tomorrow. Thanks very much.
In meantime, I asked my mechanic about the faster motors, and he is leery of doing it, see below, unless we are assured they will for sure work right. Does any one know for sure which versions work and best place to buy? I will just buy them in advance. I sure would love to have faster windows.

Email from Bill Arnold

I have an e28 rear window motor here. I will have to pull your dead one out to see if I can make something work. Worst case I can pull the one out of my 2800cs and put it in your car (all mine work).
I read all the postings and nobody came back with a definitive "this is how to do it" so I'm leary about ordering non returnable parts (anything used that is).
Bottom line...there is a solution that gets you on the road with all windows working.
See you soon!

HB Chris

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
The e28 motor is identical to your 74 motors, Bill’s 2800 motor won’t work, it has more wires. The e28 rear motors are plug and play in your coupe. Checking your switch is easy and may solve your problem unless the window is too far up or too far down causing it to stick.

Gary Knox

E9 Member Emeritus
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Scott,

Your '74 car has different motors than the 2800CS Bill references. They are different than all other e9's except for perhaps some of the later production '73 cars. The pre-74 model years all have different motors and different wiring circuits. The e28 rear motors are actually 99% plug and play as I recall (maybe 100%). Can't remember which side rear door motor you need for the right door, but I'd suggest buying one from each side of the e28 rear doors (eBay is a source, as perhaps wrecking yards). Then, change the motors in both doors. You can live with slow rear motors (I changed all four), but once you've had the improved speed in the door motors you'd never go back to the e9 OE motors!

Gary

scottevest

Site Donor
Reaction score
Bill Arnold is making real progress on the vehicle. Three of the four faster motors work to put the fourth then. He said that the information provided on installation was not accurate and he spent hours doing the installation of one at $150 an hour it will be a very expensive single window operation but glad it will be working. He is also going to be spending hours adjusting the door gaps and window gap’s.

HB Chris

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Scott,

I think we have been clear that your 74 didn't need the mods that the early sardine motor require. See my and Gary's posts for instance, plug and play

scottevest

Site Donor
Reaction score
Scott,

I think we have been clear that your 74 didn't need the mods that the early sardine motor require. See my and Gary's posts for instance, plug and play

You did make it clear how does Robert J. Mulvey and Feliciano or you reminded to head to Bill but apparently very much you’re very sweet something? Literally, he said instructions were not right and he spent hours doing it but now it works. Honestly, I’ve no idea what I’m supposed to do in the situation other than pay the bill and hope that he somehow it all works out Myhand knowing that Bill is not trying to screw me.

Markos

Site Donor
Reaction score
You did make it clear how does Robert J. Mulvey and Feliciano or you reminded to head to Bill but apparently very much you’re very sweet something?

n725075089_288918_2774.jpg

scottevest

Site Donor
Reaction score

Lol thank you Siri. Sorry for not proofreading. I was driving. I meant to say that I made it very clear to him and provided all the previously provided instructions hoping that he would simply follow them without problems. For whatever reason he ran into issues that he tried to explain at length.

Markos

Site Donor
Reaction score
Lol thank you Siri. Sorry for not proofreading. I was driving. I meant to say that I made it very clear to him and provided all the previously provided instructions hoping that he would simply follow them without problems. For whatever reason he ran into issues that he tried to explain at length.

Even so I am still confused. Both Chris and Gary said the e28 motors were plug and play over two weeks ago, before the work began and before you left on your trip.

scottevest

Site Donor
Reaction score
Even so I am still confused. Both Chris and Gary said the e28 motors were plug and play over two weeks ago, before the work began and before you left on your trip.

I am even more confused to be honest with you. I provided all the information previously provided to Bill Arnold including the portion that said they are plug-and-play and he still had to spend hours on it according to him. Not sure what else I can say here.