Ecu fault?

colrich

Reaction score
Does anyone in north west UK have a spare ecu that I could try on my car, had a mechanic look at it, but failed to diagnose, suggested swapping ecu first.
Engine runs fine until gets warm an fan cuts in, then revs drop and will not rev above around 1000 rpm is irractic and drops to around 500, it's like fuel starvation but no idea really, any help appreciated

tochi

Reaction score
I am no expert, but I would be surprised if your symptoms are solely due to a bum ECU. The list of possible culprits is finite and generally ends with the ECU - rather than beginning with it.

You superficially describe a problem that seems heat sensitive, so that poor operation only occurs when the engine reaches normal or above normal operating temperatures. This could easily be caused by a cold start system that is not fully disengaging, including disconnected or non-functioning temperature sensors, or a cold start injector that fails to completely shut off. One obvious scenario: if your vehicle has been sitting for a long period or it has seen limited maintenance, it is possible that coolant passages in which the bottom-most temp sensor and/or auxiliary air valve (14) sits, are clogged and not impacting the sensor or the air valve. The fuel injection system might function as though the engine is cold (despite it being warm or hot). Instead of fuel starvation, it would create a fuel rich or “flooding” situation. Neither scenario is a good one. This is not to say that there are other possible causes of your problem - given the limited information you provided.

Good luck

Note parts at center left containing auxiliary air valve
ac58389a-42a8-44b1-bd0c-67b27db58f3a-jpeg.75516

image-jpg.44947

MTkyMDlfcA==.png

EFI-07.gif

this-is-the-turkis-green-bmw-an-enthusiast-spent-years-looking-for-1476934539564-1000x750.jpg

Last edited:

Midwestbike

Site Donor
Reaction score
I had to replace my auxiliary air valve a few years ago. I could get it to start and run cold but not hot or I could get to run well hot but be almost impossible to start cold or I had to keep it at a ridiculously high idle rpm. I got mine from a guy in Norway that rebuilt them, but there is a Mercedes one that is angled the other direction.

sandhu

Site Donor $
Reaction score
I had to replace my auxiliary air valve a few years ago. I could get it to start and run cold but not hot or I could get to run well hot but be almost impossible to start cold or I had to keep it at a ridiculously high idle rpm. I got mine from a guy in Norway that rebuilt them, but there is a Mercedes one that is angled the other direction.
Do you have the details of the guy that rebuilds them ???

Midwestbike

Site Donor
Reaction score
I can’t find my emails but quickly searching found this not too old write up about the MB version. https://www.benzworld.org/threads/auxiliary-air-valve-overhaul-aav.3029326/

plus there is a site that rebuilds yours for $200.

tochi

Reaction score
I have seen a few amateur attempts at bypassing a poorly functioning auxiliary air valve, including the inclusion of what might have been a choke assembly from a small lawn mower. One suggestion from the Porsche crowd seems "slightly" promising: installing a a manually controlled heater valve to close off the air flow. In dealing with a different style of auxiliary air valve (electric) the source suggests using a Porsche 944 heater valve in conjunction with the cold start valve. Being unfamiliar with the inlet/outlet diameter of the heater valve, it is unknown whether this would be a direct or near-direct fit for the original rubber hose/tubing.

As they say, "necessity is the mother of invention."

A somewhat common mod on a lot of bosch l-jet cars is is delete the AAV and it its place put an early 944 heater valve and a cable in its place.
https://rennlist.com/forums/924-931-944-951-968-forum/691746-aux-air-valve-delete.html#post9454426
To do it you would need to fabricate a mount for the valve and then you would need some way to actuate it. My first thought was to go to aircraftspruce.com and I found this which I think would work really well.

http://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalog/appages/a730.php
https://rennlist.com/forums/924-931-944-951-968-forum/691746-aux-air-valve-delete.html#post9455005

624951d1334749091-aux-air-valve-delete-p903926.jpg
624952d1334749397-aux-air-valve-delete-05-13696.jpg

Last edited:

jvrenaudon

Reaction score
I have a spare you can try (red spot). I am confident that it works fine. I am at CW3 9LQ and on 07860 515049. Best, John.

sfdon

Site Donor
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Finish this week..

Attachments

• 466CE2E4-3181-4E61-8A4E-AE856D7B9F29.jpeg
    466CE2E4-3181-4E61-8A4E-AE856D7B9F29.jpeg
    356.3 KB · Views: 101