EFI Injector options

decoupe

(deceased)
Reaction score
Wondering what others are using in their 3.5l EFI transplants. Stock Bosch for an '89 735i Motronic is 0 280 714 which flows 190cc/min. 282 cam and mild porting engine.

Doug

sfdon

Site Donor
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
The vanagon injectors seem to be fine (206) but lately I have gone to a custom injector with high impedance, higher output and set up for the old school barbed rail. These work well with Schrick cam and a moderate port job. I like the 220 rating at 3 bar and that they are brand new and the spray angle.
It's always been tough to get high flow with high impedance on an old style injector without using adapters.

Set of six is 360 with fresh hose, fresh rubber, and 6 new connector plugs.

decoupe

(deceased)
Reaction score
Sfdon:

I have to use to EV1 style injector mounts with the motronic fuel rail so the barb/hose type won't work for me. To late to turn back to the barb type as the 528i rail set up is headed to pamp - that stock injector flows 228cc/min (IIRC).

I've found a couple of options (the Racetronix I mentioned and a Bosch "Red Devil") that look like good value and flow in the 230 - 250 range. Both use a modern spray pattern so possibly more fuel efficient as well.

Thanks for the info.

Last edited:

Healey3000

Reaction score
Sfdon:

I have to use to EV1 style injector mounts with the motronic fuel rail so the barb/hose type won't work for me. To late to turn back to the barb type as the 528i rail set up is headed to pamp - that stock injector flows 228cc/min (IIRC).

I've found a couple of options (the Racetronix I mentioned and a Bosch "Red Devil") that look like good value and flow in the 230 - 250 range. Both use a modern spray pattern so possibly more fuel efficient as well.

Thanks for the info.
Hi,

Late model Mustangs with the 4.6L V8 use 24 lb/hr injectors, which I believe falls right into your range of interest. They come in fat and skinny versions, both of which are interchangeable and are drop-in's into the M30. Those are readily available and have EV1 connectors.

I would suggest the skinny ones, as they have a better spray pattern.
Whichever you choose, be aware that you may need to tweak fueling parameters since latency and low-slope characteristics can be different than the originals. That applies to any injector, not just these two.

Regards

decoupe

(deceased)
Reaction score
Injectors

Thanks to all - I ended up ordering a 30lb Bosch injector that will support up to 325hp production leaves me lots of scope for further engine mods. Listed as a replacement for the 1 280 150 714 that is OEM for the b35 injector (and others).

I also found out that Miller Performance - makers of the WAR chip that is a popular ECU upgrade in the motronic EFI - is based in Abbotsford, BC. They also have a ported head and cam on offer for the M30 that look interesting.

Doug

decoupe

(deceased)
Reaction score
Andy:

Racetronix was my original choice but it was out of country so shipping, brokers, Customs..... went with the locals.

Doug