Electric Fan

E9madada

Site Donor
Reaction score
I’m thinking of fitting a electric fan, as I have had some overheating issues when in heavy traffic.
My existing fan has very little resistance and the blades are in poor condition.
Any advice on size, CFM, push/pull would be appreciated.
Cheers

Arde

Site Donor $
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
I think that Shannon is the person to ask. I recall he has been using a manually switched electric fan for many years instead of the original fan.

Mike Goble

Reaction score
I have an electric fan on my e3. It's the auxiliary fan #64541392913 from an e31,32,34 or 36.
I use a 90/99 dual temperature switch hooked to a Volvo 2-speed fan control relay to operate it is two speeds.

Attachments

• IMG-0157.jpg
    IMG-0157.jpg
    304 KB · Views: 61

Ohmess

I wanna DRIVE!
Site Donor $
Reaction score
Kent - For best fan efficiency, you want the largest fan you can install, along with a fan shroud. I first seek out an e24 fan shroud, which (I think) will fit on our radiator, and then get the largest SPAL puller fan that will fit within that envelope.

Stevehose

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
I’m thinking of fitting a electric fan, as I have had some overheating issues when in heavy traffic.
My existing fan has very little resistance and the blades are in poor condition.
Any advice on size, CFM, push/pull would be appreciated.
Cheers
My engine has not overheated ever in my 95 degree hot, humid climate for 13 years. Including traffic and a/c. So if I can do it, you can certainly do it in your climate. I would get the updated 9 blade fan, clutch, and water pump. Aluminum radiator. My worries with electric fans is that a wire or relay or something simple and without warning can lead to failure and a toasted head. But my biggest hangup with them is that they are loud AF. My 2p.

deQuincey

Quousque tandem...?
Site Donor
Reaction score
My engine has not overheated ever in my 95 degree hot, humid climate for 13 years. Including traffic and a/c. So if I can do it, you can certainly do it in your climate. I would get the updated 9 blade fan, clutch, and water pump. Aluminum radiator. My worries with electric fans is that a wire or relay or something simple and without warning can lead to failure and a toasted head. But my biggest hangup with them is that they are loud AF. My 2p.

+1
first solve the issue that causes the overheating
then check an electric fan
and decide

sfdon

Site Donor
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Being in UK, you can easily buy the e32 fan clutch and super duty 7 blade extra thin reinforced fan combo that we install. Add a quiet high flow pusher fan with curved blades like the Spal 30102056 (NOT Chinese fake on EBay). Installed with an aluminum radiator and a 6er fan shroud with a 90*C sensor at the thermostat….. If you are old school original thermostat housing with one sensor hole, you can install the Saudi version BMW 70*C sender (12631285018) in your new aluminum radiator at bottom fitting.. Now that’s cool! Remember to drill and index the thermostat…and if you have AC and are using the same relay to operate the auxiliary fan for temperature control and AC you will need a diode (61 31 1 358 265) so your hot engine doesn’t turn on your AC.

shanon

Reaction score
  • Oct 15, 2007

Operation: Arctic Wind

1) Had radiator tested, what I thought was a good radiator was only operating at 20%! Had radiator rebuilt w/ a three core, high flow core (@ $300).

Recommendation: Have radiator pressure tested! A nice clean rad. that flushes clean doesn't mean it's working properly. The radiator shop instantly recognized the unit and called it : "..ah, ya got one of those head killers!"

2) Installed Flex-aLite 'Psyclone' pusher/puller fan (2500cfm!). Summit racing catalog @ $175 w/ relay (a must). Eliminated old fan entirely, got a couple ponies back in the process. Made some basic custom mounting brackets (AL strap) so fan is separate from radiator.

Operation: Arctic Wind has been very successful, possibly too successful in that motor might be running too cold. Don't use the fan that much. Sat in traffic for 1/1/2hrs (5mph) once and temp never got above 180 deg (with fan on). :p

good luck
    -shanon
Been running this set-up for years now without fail. New 'hot rod' motor seems to like it too. Not for everyone, but I wanted to drive and track the car in NorCal's 105+ summer temps.

E9madada

Site Donor
Reaction score
It only over heats when stationary for a long period in heavy traffic, due to the original 5 blade fan clutch being worn. As the fan it self was in poor condition I was weighing up changing the water pump and fan clutch to the later style (Already have spare 9 blade fan) or going electric.

E9madada

Site Donor
Reaction score
Being in UK, you can easily buy the e32 fan clutch and super duty 7 blade extra thin reinforced fan combo that we install. Add a quiet high flow pusher fan with curved blades like the Spal 30102056 (NOT Chinese fake on EBay). Installed with an aluminum radiator and a 6er fan shroud with a 90*C sensor at the thermostat….. If you are old school original thermostat housing with one sensor hole, you can install the Saudi version BMW 70*C sender (12631285018) in your new aluminum radiator at bottom fitting.. Now that’s cool! Remember to drill and index the thermostat…and if you have AC and are using the same relay to operate the auxiliary fan for temperature control and AC you will need a diode (61 31 1 358 265) so your hot engine doesn’t turn on your AC.
Thank you for the advice, I have a newer style multi hole thermostat housing for sender. No AC to worry about.
  • Oct 15, 2007

Operation: Arctic Wind

1) Had radiator tested, what I thought was a good radiator was only operating at 20%! Had radiator rebuilt w/ a three core, high flow core (@ $300).

Recommendation: Have radiator pressure tested! A nice clean rad. that flushes clean doesn't mean it's working properly. The radiator shop instantly recognized the unit and called it : "..ah, ya got one of those head killers!"

2) Installed Flex-aLite 'Psyclone' pusher/puller fan (2500cfm!). Summit racing catalog @ $175 w/ relay (a must). Eliminated old fan entirely, got a couple ponies back in the process. Made some basic custom mounting brackets (AL strap) so fan is separate from radiator.

Operation: Arctic Wind has been very successful, possibly too successful in that motor might be running too cold. Don't use the fan that much. Sat in traffic for 1/1/2hrs (5mph) once and temp never got above 180 deg (with fan on). :p

good luck
    -shanon
Been running this set-up for years now without fail. New 'hot rod' motor seems to like it too. Not for everyone, but I wanted to drive and track the car in NorCal's 105+ summer temps.
Shanon,
Is your fan fitted to the front side of the rad rather than the engine side and if so are you pulling the air out of the engine bay or pushing in? Always in search of a few Ponies
Adam

shanon

Reaction score
Thank you for the advice, I have a newer style multi hole thermostat housing for sender. No AC to worry about.

Shanon,
Is your fan fitted to the front side of the rad rather than the engine side and if so are you pulling the air out of the engine bay or pushing in? Always in search of a few Ponies
Adam
Hi Adam, the fan is in 'Pusher' mode and I enjoy the added clearance for dealing w/ belts, etc.

Attachments

• shanon m30 w korman h20.jpg
    shanon m30 w korman h20.jpg
    301.3 KB · Views: 54

Mike Goble

Reaction score
Hi Adam, the fan is in 'Pusher' mode and I enjoy the added clearance for dealing w/ belts, etc.
Mine's configured the same way, in the pusher mode. There's not a lot of clearance for a puller fan in my car. If I'm idling for a while the low speed comes on at 90C and that's usually enough. Once I'm on the road doing 35 or so it cools down and the fan shuts off.

E9madada

Site Donor
Reaction score
Eventually got round to installing an Electric fan. I managed to get a Spal 16” Blower fan new old stock at a bargain price off Ebay.

I didn’t want create any addition holes in the body work and don’t like the idea of mounting directly to the radiator, so I designed some brackets and clamps.

Bracket and clamps made from aluminium, mounted on thin rubber.
Fan2.jpg

Powder Coated
Fan3.jpg

Fan1.jpg
Fan4.jpg