Electric fuel pumps

nashvillecat

Reaction score
84E24 said:
I have a 73 3.0 with dual 32/36 DGAV carbs and a stock fuel pump. Has anyone changed the Mechanical pump out? I am looking at
this http://www.racetep.com/webfuelspark.html#webfuel
John, when I saw you at V V we spoke briefly about your fuel pump. Could you go into more detail? Thanks,

No offense, but what's wrong with your mechanical pump? It is designed to handle the fuel demands of two similar carbs and may have been adequate for 3 decades. What's changed?

I used a facet pump in an away-from-home-emergency many years ago and found no direct benefit over the stock mechanical pump.

nashvillecat

Reaction score
84E24 said:
I have a 73 3.0 with dual 32/36 DGAV carbs and a stock fuel pump. Has anyone changed the Mechanical pump out? I am looking at
this http://www.racetep.com/webfuelspark.html#webfuel
John, when I saw you at V V we spoke briefly about your fuel pump. Could you go into more detail? Thanks,

No offense, but what's wrong with your mechanical pump? It is designed to handle the fuel demands of two similar carbs and may have been adequate for 3 decades. What's changed?

I used a facet pump in an away-from-home-emergency many years ago and found no direct benefit over the stock mechanical pump.

shanon

Reaction score
FWIW...

I swapped out my mechanical pump for a Facet electric unit.
Does it work 'better' than the stock set up...not sure.

BUT, I sure do like when I get in the car after she has been sitting for a while, a week or more, flip on my fuel pump switch, hear the gas getting pumped from the tank and hearing the carbs fill. Then I start cranking her over to start. I like the fact the I'm not draining my battery/system cranking/turning/starting the cold and dry motor over to get the mechanical pump to pump gas from the rear tank to prime the carbs at the front of the car...

Carl Nelson makes a nifty mechanical pump delete/cover for this conversion.

just my 2 cents and HTH.
-shanon

shanon

Reaction score
FWIW...

I swapped out my mechanical pump for a Facet electric unit.
Does it work 'better' than the stock set up...not sure.

BUT, I sure do like when I get in the car after she has been sitting for a while, a week or more, flip on my fuel pump switch, hear the gas getting pumped from the tank and hearing the carbs fill. Then I start cranking her over to start. I like the fact the I'm not draining my battery/system cranking/turning/starting the cold and dry motor over to get the mechanical pump to pump gas from the rear tank to prime the carbs at the front of the car...

Carl Nelson makes a nifty mechanical pump delete/cover for this conversion.

just my 2 cents and HTH.
-shanon

decoupe

(deceased)
Reaction score
Carter Pump

If the linkage forces you to eliminate the mechanical pump (I assume that is the case) then the Carter pump works well but be prepared for the noise. You won't hear it once you're driving but it is annoying at times.

I would recommend a pressure regulator set at 3 psi at the carbs and after the second filter.

decoupe

(deceased)
Reaction score
Carter Pump

If the linkage forces you to eliminate the mechanical pump (I assume that is the case) then the Carter pump works well but be prepared for the noise. You won't hear it once you're driving but it is annoying at times.

I would recommend a pressure regulator set at 3 psi at the carbs and after the second filter.

jhjacobs

Reaction score
Steve,

Love your coupe. You have set an example I can only dream of with your restoration.

I did do a electric fuel pump conversion after experiencing a vapor lock after doing a conversion back to Zeniths. I chose a Facet 40106 which is 4-6 psi. Since the Zeniths are happier with about 2-3psi I also installed a Holley12-804 1-4 psi , two port, adjustable high capacity pressure regulator. The two ports on the regulator are perfect for a coupe. I had planned to set the pressure to 2.75psi but when I put on a pressure guage it appears that this was the default setting.

http://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalog/eppages/facetpumps.php
http://www.holley.com/12-804.asp

I installed the fuel pump in the trunk as shown in the photo; this position allows the fuel tank cover to fit down without interference. I was able to tuck on mount pad under the fuel tank and I drilled a small hole and screwed down the other pad; I recommend installing a bit of rubber mouse pad under the unit because it makes noise. I also ran a fused power feed from the battery (the same one I used for the windows) and feed it through a relay connected to the ignition circuit; eventually I may install a hidden fuel cut off switch for added security. As you can see in the photo, I also put a pre-filter directly on the pump.
DSCN2074.jpg

Now, no comment about my filthy tank, my coupe is a work in process! :?
Some people will complain about the quality of the Facet pump but I have run them 100 of 1000's of miles and I have never had a failure. My only complaint is the ticking noise but in time it becomes kind of reassuring. When you start the car you will hear it pressurize the line and then fad out. When running it is not really noticeable (but I did live through the 60's and 70's and my ears are bad.

In the engine bay I added a clear fuel filter before the regulator. The regulator is mounted on the old fuel pump studs. I cut our a piece of thick aluminum (probably about 0.15") to cover the fuel pump hole and added holes on the top to mount the regulator. I also plumed in a pressure test point behind the rear carb in case I want to test again.
DSCN2077.jpg

DSCN2076.jpg

I may get around to tidying up the hoses one day but I have bigger fish to fry at the moment.

With an electric pump you need to be aware that if you have a bad fuel line they will happily pump fuel into a raging fire. On the other hand, if you have a ruptured mechanical pump it can fill your crank case with fuel. Either way, I personally prefer the electric pumps and having once survived a near fatal car fire I tend to monitor the condition of my fuel lines.

jhjacobs

Reaction score
Steve,

Love your coupe. You have set an example I can only dream of with your restoration.

I did do a electric fuel pump conversion after experiencing a vapor lock after doing a conversion back to Zeniths. I chose a Facet 40106 which is 4-6 psi. Since the Zeniths are happier with about 2-3psi I also installed a Holley12-804 1-4 psi , two port, adjustable high capacity pressure regulator. The two ports on the regulator are perfect for a coupe. I had planned to set the pressure to 2.75psi but when I put on a pressure guage it appears that this was the default setting.

http://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalog/eppages/facetpumps.php
http://www.holley.com/12-804.asp

I installed the fuel pump in the trunk as shown in the photo; this position allows the fuel tank cover to fit down without interference. I was able to tuck on mount pad under the fuel tank and I drilled a small hole and screwed down the other pad; I recommend installing a bit of rubber mouse pad under the unit because it makes noise. I also ran a fused power feed from the battery (the same one I used for the windows) and feed it through a relay connected to the ignition circuit; eventually I may install a hidden fuel cut off switch for added security. As you can see in the photo, I also put a pre-filter directly on the pump.
DSCN2074.jpg

Now, no comment about my filthy tank, my coupe is a work in process! :?
Some people will complain about the quality of the Facet pump but I have run them 100 of 1000's of miles and I have never had a failure. My only complaint is the ticking noise but in time it becomes kind of reassuring. When you start the car you will hear it pressurize the line and then fad out. When running it is not really noticeable (but I did live through the 60's and 70's and my ears are bad.

In the engine bay I added a clear fuel filter before the regulator. The regulator is mounted on the old fuel pump studs. I cut our a piece of thick aluminum (probably about 0.15") to cover the fuel pump hole and added holes on the top to mount the regulator. I also plumed in a pressure test point behind the rear carb in case I want to test again.
DSCN2077.jpg

DSCN2076.jpg

I may get around to tidying up the hoses one day but I have bigger fish to fry at the moment.

With an electric pump you need to be aware that if you have a bad fuel line they will happily pump fuel into a raging fire. On the other hand, if you have a ruptured mechanical pump it can fill your crank case with fuel. Either way, I personally prefer the electric pumps and having once survived a near fatal car fire I tend to monitor the condition of my fuel lines.

jmackro

Reaction score
JJ:

Looks good. I am considering a similar conversion. A couple of questions:

- How did you route the line from the output side of the fuel pump? I can readily see how the input from the tank routes into the pump, but what path does the line take after leaving the pump? Does it still exit at the front of the cavity, ahead of the tank? Or did you put a hole in the trunk floor, aft of the pump, and run the line underneath?

- Why didn't you order the lower pressure, 40105 pump, which would have eliminated the need for the regulator?

jmackro

Reaction score
JJ:

Looks good. I am considering a similar conversion. A couple of questions:

- How did you route the line from the output side of the fuel pump? I can readily see how the input from the tank routes into the pump, but what path does the line take after leaving the pump? Does it still exit at the front of the cavity, ahead of the tank? Or did you put a hole in the trunk floor, aft of the pump, and run the line underneath?

- Why didn't you order the lower pressure, 40105 pump, which would have eliminated the need for the regulator?

jhjacobs

Reaction score
I chose the higher pressure pump because I want to fiddle with the pressure - it's easier to reduce pressure than increase it. No other reason.

Routing the pump output was a bit of a head scratcher at first but then I realized I could just route a long piece of hose clockwise around the tank. It all went together rather tidy and I don't have any sharp bends.

jhjacobs

Reaction score
I chose the higher pressure pump because I want to fiddle with the pressure - it's easier to reduce pressure than increase it. No other reason.

Routing the pump output was a bit of a head scratcher at first but then I realized I could just route a long piece of hose clockwise around the tank. It all went together rather tidy and I don't have any sharp bends.

K D

Reaction score
Electric Fuel Pump

My 2 cents worth

I have run the Carter pump to feed triple 45 webers on 3.5 litres for ten years now and have had no problems at all, including Track Days driving. BUT it is bulky and I have to agree with DECOUPE it is VERY NOISEY, to the point where I have considered the Facet pump which is a lot quieter. I have it mounted below the boot floor panel between the filler pipe and the rear of the wheel arch, but it does require you to cut the floor panel around it.

K D

K D

Reaction score
Electric Fuel Pump

My 2 cents worth

I have run the Carter pump to feed triple 45 webers on 3.5 litres for ten years now and have had no problems at all, including Track Days driving. BUT it is bulky and I have to agree with DECOUPE it is VERY NOISEY, to the point where I have considered the Facet pump which is a lot quieter. I have it mounted below the boot floor panel between the filler pipe and the rear of the wheel arch, but it does require you to cut the floor panel around it.

K D