Electric window gearbox/clutch rebuild service

Stevehose

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
After doing the e28 motor swap in my driver side door (thanks to @jmackro for his great thread) and yanking out another failed gearbox, I enlisted the help of engineering wizard Jeff @jjs2800cs to reproduce the plastic gears for these since the prior attempt went away after Travis sold his car a few years ago. An hour later he had a prototype off his printer. Given that the e28 swap is not a simple process (nor in my case faster, as my sardine system is still very quick), I have no plans on putting the e28 motors in my rear windows, instead I will swap out the gearboxes until I am no longer of this earth.

As a service to this forum, we are considering a rebuild service - you send us your tired, poor gear boxes huddled in a box somewhere, and we will send you a rebuilt one for a reasonable fee which will help recoup some of our raw materials cost. Cleaned, new nylon gear installed, and regreased ready to swap back in. He would be Chief Production Officer, I would be VP National Sales Director for this get-poor scheme.

We are in testing phase now, but before we go any further, is there any interest in this?

IMG_5528.jpeg

Last edited: