Emergency items to carry in car all the time?

coupe74

Reaction score
I recently read a thread on another car site about parts to carry in your car all the time; like fuses and belts and pins.

I had a brake caliper fail today, and had to turn around from a trip. My mechanic (a multiple e9 and 2002 owner) told me that coupe calipers are notorious problems.

It made me wonder what items to carry in the car all the time (even if not brake calipers and brake fluid). Aside from motor oil and belts (and a fire extinguisher - don't ask); any suggestions of items to carry in the car at all times without turning performance into that of a mini-van full of diapers and car seats? (I found nothing on a search of the archives).
-Keith

deQuincey

Quousque tandem...?
Site Donor
Reaction score
I am no going to tell you the theory, but my real practice, the following is in my car:

fire extinguisher
complete set of tools in the trunk
plastic ties (don´t know the precise name for them, but you guess, ok?)
electrical multitester
battery charger
battery cables
clean cloth or a roll of paper
spare: fuses, bulbs, sparks,
a good jack (a hidraulic one)
an apropriate tool for wheel nuts (in my car the original is missing)
liquids: engine oil (2 l.), coolant (5 l.), brake fluid, power assist fluid,
a pair of gloves
electric tool set, including scissors, screwdrivers,...

and thats all

I don´t see the point on carrying engine belts, any advise or experience ?

regards

Stevehose

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
For long trips I agree with your list, but I would go ahead and add belts, I had one go out on me once in the middle of nowhere and fortunately a garage was able to get one to fit just well enough off the shelf but i got lucky.

I am no going to tell you the theory, but my real practice, the following is in my car:

fire extinguisher
complete set of tools in the trunk
plastic ties (don´t know the precise name for them, but you guess, ok?)
electrical multitester
battery charger
battery cables
clean cloth or a roll of paper
spare: fuses, bulbs, sparks,
a good jack (a hidraulic one)
an apropriate tool for wheel nuts (in my car the original is missing)
liquids: engine oil (2 l.), coolant (5 l.), brake fluid, power assist fluid,
a pair of gloves
electric tool set, including scissors, screwdrivers,...

and thats all

I don´t see the point on carrying engine belts, any advise or experience ?

regards

m_thompson

Reaction score
Whenever I replace belts or hoses I put the old ones in the trunk kit. Never needed one though.

in addition to what was previously listed...
paper towels
hand cleaner
plastic poncho
points, condenser, rotor (the old ones from a replacement)
a small spool of wire
electrical tape

All of this fits in a plastic milk crate and the container near the gas fill.

BonitaCS

Reaction score
Can't you make a belt out of duct tape? Bailing wire is always handy and you can fix anything with a hammer!

HB Chris

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
I agree with Dirk, keep it in good running condition, check everything before you leave and enjoy your trip. No need to bring the kitchen sink along.

DougE

Site Donor
Reaction score
Like A Good Scout, Always Be Prepared

First off when you do the calipers do them in pairs and if the brake hoses haven't been replaced do it now. The hoses have a tendency to collapse internally, you have around 900 psi going out when you depress the brake pedal but no return pressure. As a result it takes a while for the fluid to bleed back, you kill your rotors.

Always carry a couple of wire coat hangers.

Doug

Erik

Site Donor
Reaction score
Maybe this will be obvious, but don't forget a robust first-aid kit, gloves-at least quality dish-washing grade, simple dust mask or better, some safety glasses and some flares and period reflective triangles.

Repairing your car might be a spare part or a phone call away, but if someone you come upon is really injured, you'll want to be prepared to render assistance safely. And remember, the cars still driving on the road won't see the accident until those flares are out in the road a good distance.

pmansson

Reaction score
Rubber brake hoses

How many years do the rubber brake hoses last? 3, 5, 10 or ????
I have s/s hoses on several cars. They surely last longer.

Problem with Swiss registered cars is that the authorities don´t permit the s/s hoses at the MOT/TuV tests carried out every 5 years for old cars in original condition (which most of mine aren´t). Most of mine are registered in Sweden where there is no issue at all regarding brake hoses and sensible upgrades/modifications.

G

Reaction score
Fully charged cell phone , $$$ and a credit card..:}

blumax

(deceased)
Reaction score
What to take--traveling in E-9

In thousands of miles of continuous travel that spanned 6 weeks and almost 6,000 miles touring the Western US and Canada in the BLUMAX--

The only thing carried beyond the standard issue original toolkit was a spare quart of oil and a cooler equipped with local beverages. Coupe has always been the beneficiary of an active preventive maintenance program and has proven to be extremely reliable even at 415,000 miles. No major problems encountered requiring 60# of parts, tools and stuff in the trunk. Summary--many years ago had leaking rear brake cylinder corrected with rebuild kit for VW Van while in Estes Park Colorado while traveling through--and cooling fan clutch failure on the island of Victoria, BC just two blocks from the local small (then) BMW dealer.